How to install a 300 in a Mustang/ Falcon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to run a Ford toploader wide-ratio trans in my altered, using a Mr. Gasket vertical gate shifter and a super-low Liberty 2.87 first gear. The shifter came up between my legs. That will be nearly unbreakable in your ride. It will set you back about two grand, but you won't have to worry about breaking it.

BetsyBabe64":1f2l82at said:
i'm saving up to buy a 1965 Falcon Sedan that comes with a c4 transmission. Today i went to the junk yard and found a running 300 that's in a 1970 econoline van. The engine looks good. If i pull it myself i can get the engine and the bell housing for $350.00. This seems like a good deal right ? Are these 1970's 300's good ? I plan on rebuilding it for drag racing.

My only concern is the transmission. I want a manual rachet shifter and right now the engine is linked to a manual tranny. If i sell the C4 transmission, what would be a good transmission for a street rod/ drag racer ?
The original tranny is in no way performance oriented right ? This seems crazy hard but i want to put a super charger on it :nod:

My four door base sedan looks identical to yours BB. :D

cballard1972":2p8tw0zf said:
BetsyBabe64":2p8tw0zf said:
... what would be a good transmission for a street rod/ drag racer ?
The original tranny is in no way performance oriented right ? This seems crazy hard but i want to put a super charger on it :nod:

My four door base sedan looks identical to yours BB. :D

In my opinion and based also on other racers results I've seen there are only two good options: either a C6 or a Powerglide. Let the flaming by the C4 fans begin.

Since the FE and 300 use the same engine-frame perches in the older trucks, couldnt that work for looking up some mounts? I'm scratching up some ideas of a father/daughter 68 Stang/Shelby clone project. Stealing the 300 from my pickup.

I just purchased a 66 mustang for a song, and this older than I am guy, also had a rebuilt 300. I ended up with both of them and hope to combine them in to one project. This will be my first attempt for a complete project. The 300 has me stumped, I've read a lot of the posts and the "Prep H " article and the "Big Six Build by FTF" article. Are there more current articles? I'm hoping to build a reasonably good street machine. I emailed Clifford and asked what they had for a head etc .and no response as of yet,one month.
The questions are what work do I do to the head and who does good work?

I should also ask for engine installation advice, "DO's and DON'Ts

thank you

YOLO

I would recommend Jerry Arnold Cylinder Heads for a good head at a reasonable price. Jerry has done extensive R&D on the 240/300 Fords.

nitrousnick":zryrviss said:
Ba Mustang":zryrviss said:
In your mustang did you have any hood clearance problems? I am really insterested in performing this swap on my 67, but don't want to cut into either of my hoods and can't afford a new one yet.

If you get a 4bbl carb ,cut the choke horn off and dont run an air cleaner it should fit with a stock hood,but to do it right you need to modify the hood.

Can you share a pic or two of what you did to your hood to make it work?

Thanks!

Howdy guys,
So I got lucky and found a guy in my area who was selling a 300 from a 82 F150 for a 100 bucks and a c4 to go with it for another 75 bucks. Needless to say I wanted to jump on the deal but I found this topic before I went for the deal. I was able to find the oil pan and pick up tube for the 300 on summit for a fair and some would say cheap price to make the mod to fit in the mustang. However I notice as I was looking at the flex plates the 300 came with one for a c4 tranny, so I opted for it rather than the 250 as posted. The parts are on order and some have already been shipped. I have been having difficulty understanding the concept of the Big Block Ford motor mounts used to make it fit but I did get the original mounts from the guy and from first impressions the mounts should make it fit albeit a bit tall for the hood. Everything should come in by the new year and I will get to have the fun mock fitting it before the new year starts along with my dad and brother. I will give summit racing this, it has a tab that will show you where some parts will work with other years and models which made it easy for me to purchase the parts. Ive taken some crude measurements and it looks like as long as I dont put a mechanical fan and place an electric one in front of the radiator... everything should just be bolt in. I will take pics as I am fitting everything in and will let you guys know how everything goes. Till then if you all have any good ideas for cleaning oil drains from slug and gunk using sprays or oils let me know as I want to make sure the oiling is 100%.
For now I am keeping the 300 stock and when I get back from Korea I want to start modifying it. I would like to keep it N/A but supercharging it sounds like a nice idea. Ideally I will do the normal port polish and maybe even modify the intake to fit a 2v carb on it for better performance and economy... better cam, flat top pistons (valve relief cut if necessary), headers, and all the goodies to try to get as much hp and torque out of it to make it a worthy street racer but daily driver as well. Later I will also change it back from auto to manual transmission with a good 4 speed to burn tires with. I know Im late in the game but Im an up and coming youngin (25 yr old) ready to turn wrenches, bust knuckles, and get dirty putting a rustang back on the road as a bit of a frankenstang and 100% hot rod.

That sounds like a fun project Dave. Persevere. You will have a fun and unique ride.

Hi, last post was in 2012,,,,,anything else after that? Does anyone know how Daves68Mustang200 made out with his swap, he said he would let everyone know (with pictures)? :LOL:

myrod1937":bfx81rpw said:
Hi, last post was in 2012,,,,,anything else after that? Does anyone know how Daves68Mustang200 made out with his swap, he said he would let everyone know (with pictures)? :LOL:

Nothing, nada, nil.

Last visited: Mon Jan 13, 2014
Total posts: 7

nitrousnick is your man....

Last visited: Wed Mar 16, 2016
Total posts: 136

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back