Broken thrust plate...?

wakjob

Supporter 2020
My newly rebuilt 200cid keeps breaking thrust plates.
Seems like the cam wants to walk forward, grinding into the back side of the thrust plate...

Anyone know what the general cause of this phenom is?

Check list of things to look into?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, wak.

Hi, X2. the part looks like a wedding ring. It goes on the front of the cam before the thrust plate and is held in place by a steel pin. Good luck

X3 yes this is a common problem when the cam spacer ring gets left off during a camshaft replacement. In the first link below you can see what it looks like if the spacer ring is missing. In the second post you can see how the ring needs to be installed, there are many other posts describing these engine assembly troubles from not having the spacer ring. Best of luck :nod:

RustyWagon's Timing Chain Problems caused From a Missing Camshaft Spacer Ring
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79988&hilit=Rusty+wagon#p619845

B Ron Co's Picture Showing the Spacer Rings Install Position.
https://www.fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ng#p598519

nother trike Derrell?

WOW!!! Thanks folks.

Interesting that the 170 I took out and disassembled (180,000k miles on it) didn't have the ring?
Was that only for the 200's?

Anyway, I'm now on the hunt for one.

Another question, the dowel pin sheared off, but I can't find any other damage anywhere in the motor.
The cam is a Comp High Energy 260/260 110LSA kit...

Should I just buy all new cam, lifters, ect...?
And thoughts on a double timing chain setup?

Thanks, wak

The original 144 and 170 cams were made from a different cam core blank I don't remember if the cam had the spacer built into the cam blank but I doubt it, eventually they were only using the newer second gen cam core blanks. With the introduction of the 200 six'es and their having a longer stroke the camshaft had to be changed for Rod clearance these earlier cams can't be used in the 200's. Unless a 200 cam has the spacer ring installed there isn't anyway for the cam timing gear to tighten up against it and keep from destroying the thrust plate. The double row timing chains / gear sets are a great improvement. (y) :nod:

Thanks for that ebay link... I bought it.
$60 total (shipping!) was a bit steep, but I need it.

Also just ordered a new cam/lifters from Clay Smith.
Got the 264/264 110 LSA cam, and their double roller timing chain setup.

With any luck here in central NY, I'll get this stupid car running before it snows :banghead:

Hi, I needed to use the roller timing chain from Vintage Inlines. The timing chain set from Comp Cams, and my old set would not allow the cam to degree properly. There is a thread on here with the story, but I don't know how to find the old threads. I got the advice I needed to fix it. I couldn't have done it without help from the guys on this site and without the adjustable sprocket in the kit.
YOU MUST DEGREE YOUR CAM.
Good luck

The first time I rebuilt a 200 , I was in high school...I forgot the cam spacer, fixed it...Then after getting that back together, no oil pressure...Missed the oil galley plug behind the cam sprocket, apart again.
Remember cam spacer inside bevel goes toward the cam journal and do not forget to check the oil galley plug .
If you lost cam timing, it is possible that the rods may have hit the cam, look for proof on the cam when you take it out.
The above poster is right, you must degree the cam.

Yeah...I'm not happy to have pulled this engine out and apart again, but that's the way these things go.

The ClaySmith cam I bought is ground straight up, so I'll have to add about 4 degrees to that.
The double roller chain set has multiple keyway slots, so that should help.

The CompCam I took out was installed dot to dot.

When I get that thrust washer/spacer in the mail, I'm going to take it, along with that drawing to a guy that has a plasma cutting table just down the road from me and see if he can make a bunch of them. If he can/will, I'll offer them to whom ever needs one here.

I see some cars use a brass thrust washer...
Does it have to be hardened steel for these Ford 200cid's?

"...so I'll have to add about 4 degrees ..."
"...was installed dot to dot...."
still degree the cam.
Not sure plasma could make the piece. Need tool cutting equp.
:unsure:

The cam spacer is not super hard, vice grips will ding it up, but it must be hard enough not to squish out and lose correct spacing...That will cause the sprocket and cam to bind on the two bolt cam retainer ''thrust'' plate and sprocket bolt torque could also be lost...I would lean on the harder side.
On these engines the cam must be checked with a degree wheel and dial indicator.

Quote:
The ClaySmith cam I bought is ground straight up, so I'll have to add about 4 degrees to that.
The double roller chain set has multiple keyway slots, so that should help. Quote:
If you purchased the new 264 profile, it may be advanced.
I spoke with the tech & he said the new 264 would be ground 4 degrees advanced.
Make sure you degree it to be sure.

looks good, eh?
Not seen this B4.
Let us know (esp if U jaw bone w/the supplier. Is a hi price, but also - "is available")~

Good Eye, bra !
(y)

The ebay wedding ring (now that sounds crazy!) arrived in snail mail a few days ago and I just got around to measuring it per the drawing from Bill.

Good news - It is well within typical machining tolerances and the overall finish and appearance is very good. See below - this gets a strong positive recommendation.
Ford 200 wedding ring.jpg
Have a great day.

Back