Slow to start in the mornings (the car... but me too I guess)

SixCylinderMike

So I've decided to tackle a problem that's been bugging me for as long as I've owned the car. After the car has been sitting for a while (like overnight) it takes up to 30 seconds of running the starter before the engine will catch. Actually that's not quite true -- it catches right away for like a second then goes out again.

I'm guessing the problem is that the fuel is slowly running back down the line overnight and it takes a while for the vacuum to pull it through. Once the car is running everything is fine (if low powered), and if the engine has been running within the last few hours then the car starts right away.

What's the simplest fix for this problem? Is there a different type of fuel line that I can get? Should I be looking for a leak somewhere? There's no evidence of one except for a faint gas smell in the trunk.

Everything is stock with the 1964 170ci inline 6 engine and Autolite 1100 carb. It's about a year since I replaced the fuel filter, but this problem was the same before and after that change. The carb seems in decent shape, but hasn't been rebuilt AFAIK. I've owned the car for 4 years.

What do you think :unsure::

I would start by doing a fuel volume test to see if the fuel pump is weak. :nod:

2 thoughts: evap from the float bowl (into atmosphere) due to gasket? Or 'wash dwn' as it trickles out da carb and pours into the engine (as very dangerous and not-good-for-motor condition).
Nether f which could/might B true.

This could B assessed by a carb-top-off observation "in the morning". Look into the bowel 2C if empty. Hand pump carb linkage while watchin bowel, screw top back on, come back in 2 hrs & C if empty. Wash down means ur oil pan has gas in it. Bad as we want un-diluted oil for proper lube, it gets the gas washing dwn the cyl wall = no oil on rings @ start up, (fire more likely) etc...
Ck dip stick (smell, observe as thinned?, still proper viscosity? etc).

SixCylinderMike":2sdwbpi4 said:
So I've decided to tackle a problem that's been bugging me for as long as I've owned the car. After the car has been sitting for a while (like overnight) it takes up to 30 seconds of running the starter before the engine will catch. Actually that's not quite true -- it catches right away for like a second then goes out again.

I'm guessing the problem is that the fuel is slowly running back down the line overnight and it takes a while for the vacuum to pull it through. Once the car is running everything is fine (if low powered), and if the engine has been running within the last few hours then the car starts right away.

What's the simplest fix for this problem? Is there a different type of fuel line that I can get? Should I be looking for a leak somewhere? There's no evidence of one except for a faint gas smell in the trunk.

Everything is stock with the 1964 170ci inline 6 engine and Autolite 1100 carb. It's about a year since I replaced the fuel filter, but this problem was the same before and after that change. The carb seems in decent shape, but hasn't been rebuilt AFAIK. I've owned the car for 4 years.

What do you think :unsure::

ok mike a few things here, bubba suggested my first thought, a weak fuel pump. after that i would dig into the carb setup and the ignition. after i made sure the fuel pump in my old 66 falcon 170 was good, i converted to a two barrel autolite carb and a later duraspark distributor hooked to a chrylser "orange" ignition box, and an MSD blaster lll coil. once those were done the car would light off and run smoothly first time every time even in sub 30 degree weather, WITH THE CHOKE WIDE OPEN. the hard part for you though is the distributor. you may have the same issue i do with my 64 falcon in that you have the smaller distributor shaft which means modification to use the later duraspark distributor.

Fuel wouldn't drain out of the carb back thru the supply line.

Could be over advanced timing.

Do you give the gas pedal a pump before starting?

Maybe a failing accelerator pump diaphram.

Would certainly rebuild a 4 year owned unknown prior history carb.

"...back thru the supply line..."
correct, more 'tricky" means
:eek:

The block mounted fuel pumps have one way check valves built into them. if one or both are worn, fuel could be syphoning back out from the carb. I've found even new fuel pumps with these issues. You can use a hand-held vacuum pump to check at the pump inlet side to see if it will maintain an applied vacuum. Many times people opt to install a low pressure inline electric fuel pump to get away from this problem and have instant fuel pressure at the turn of the key. I always opt for a quality brand pump and try to stay away from the imported versions. If you have room I like to put an inline filter before the pump to keep any debris from fouling the pump internals.
Best of luck to you.

Back