DS II distributor control module

I have no experience with the DS modules, but I've had an HEI 4-pin module firing my DS1 distributor for going on 10+ years now with ZERO ignition issues. Starts and runs like a champ!

I have always used the genuine Ford Motorcraft or a NAPA Ignition Control Module (ICM) they will last a very long time when you use the Ford spec or better parts you won't have trouble, there maybe another brand or two that are also good I don't know but as with many things you get what you pay for. A totally stock DSII system offers faster start ups, power to fire .044 plug gaps and longer life of all the ignistion parts it is more than adequate for stock or mildly built engines, plus there are some improved parts such as better coils and plug wires available for the more Hi Performance engine builds too. Couple of things you can do to improve the life span of the ICM even more is to try and mount them in the coolest place and or were they get really good air flow, and make sure it has a good body ground. I have used these stock DSII ignition systems on many early cars and trucks using parts straight out of the junkyard and have had success every time. If you have the stock Ford Wire Harness, DSII Distribitor, plus it's matching Coil and one of the good ICM's it's as close as you can get to plug and play install with only a two wire hook up, (ask me if you need the directions). If you look at the Ford Cars that came stock with this system they have a reasonably good mounting location for the ICM, my plan to improve this was to make a custom wire harness and mount the ICM inside the car under the dash, don't have a car right to do this on though so as of yet this experiment is on hold.

The cheaper ICM boxes sold at many other auto parts houses are not made with the same design quality and are even missing transistors on the internal board and modded or eliminated circuits and parts, people that buy them usually find out in short order that they bought a pack of trouble. I would rather go to the junkyard and pick up a good used ICM of the two above brands than buying one of the new cheap China knock off ICM's. This was such a common problem that I always carried a known good ICM on my service truck to test with. I have also opened up several of these cheap control boxes to compare to them to the good brands seeing this for myself. What really gets me is that many people that bought the crappy ones only because of their lower price then bad mouth the Ford ignistion systems design as being unreliable as if Fords Enginering Team where actually responsible or had even authorized the making of these crappy parts, ok end of my rant and I will step off my soap box now.

Now many people also have used the GM 4 pin modules and they like them when piecing togeather their Ignistion System it's easy to do, will work, and might be a few dollars less in the total cost when you are buying all new parts. I have also worked on many many GM cars and trucks that used the HEI ignition system stock they have several conditions, known parts that can cause an Ignition no start after an amount of time that's requires Maintance. The module is one of them so as in above example if you want to use that part with a DSII then be sure to get one of the best ones such as a genuine GM, NAPA Echelon, and I think there is one or two others. Personally I won't use and recommend that you stay away from the crappy China knock offs, they are in my OPIN a waste of time and your money. Key to note is that you need to build or buy a very good heat sink to mount the Module on and then mount it in a cool place if you want it to last and be trouble free and maybe carry a spare just in case of trouble on the road. As with the above DSII system you will also need a good coil, cap, rotor, and plug wires to go with the HEI Module. Hope that helps you and best of luck. (y) :nod:

Get one of my DS11's which will be custom recurved for your combination.
I also have one GM Module left mounted on a GM heat sink.
I use a MSD Blaster coil to supply the fire power.
You will need spiral wound plug wires.
You will need a fused relay to supply a full 12V to the module.
Second option is get the DS11 & a MSD ignition box. It will fire 3 sparks every time up to 3K rpms. It also has an adjustable rev limiter built in. Again use the MSD Blaster coil to spiral wound plug wires.
The nice thing about this combo is you can use you original +coil wire to trigger the box. The box has its own red wire that needs to be fused to the + side of the starter solenoid.
The Ford Ignition is very reliable, but only operates on 8-9 volts. Its antiquated.
With the modern ignitions you can gap your plugs to .045"-.048" gap.
Another option is the HEI distributor which also needs a full 12V to operate & spiral wound plug wires.
See the small ford engine for sale section & you will see my listings.
The GM module & heat sink with wiring is $75.00 plus $8.00 shipping.
Wa0E24v.jpg

This is the last one i have. Bill wsa111

1st, Full Disclosure:
the entire 'electric' subsystems (most) are my least knowledgable in the auto.

The recommended 'blue strain relief' module is suggested to be mounted ona good heat sink (disipitation) with dialectical grease. I am not sure of the correct coil (TFI?). But are both oe. Many say it surpasses the MSD and I'd agree. Esp 4 "da mo'nee". I just installed it & the DSII dizzy which seems very good, no long term report yet, "still wrkin on it", but looks sooo much better for oe/era correct (esp w/o the huge HEI dizzy). Rich (here) can talk to you abt the mopwr 'orange' box, similar.

I like the "GM 4 pin" better (but didn't get it free). It too is recommended for a hunka alu mounting/grease but is alot smaller. It has oe looks, it is easy to tuck up somewhere to hide if needed, can throw a spare in the glovie, & is more available too. Not sure the coil here either but everything is on GoFastForLess dot com. (Schematics & great write up on operation/ele theory).

So nxt time I would go w/hybrid HEI 4pin & DSII dizzy (& my RSB carb). There's a 4 pin waithing for when (if) the ford box goes...

chad":aawjj8jq said:
1st, Full Disclosure:
the entire 'electric' subsystems (most) are my least knowledgable in the auto.

The recommended 'blue strain relief' module is suggested to be mounted ona good heat sink (disipitation) with dialectical grease. I am not sure of the correct coil (TFI?). But are both oe. Many say it surpasses the MSD and I'd agree. Esp 4 "da mo'nee". I just installed it & the DSII dizzy which seems very good, no long term report yet, "still wrkin on it", but looks sooo much better for oe/era correct (esp w/o the huge HEI dizzy). Rich (here) can talk to you abt the mopwr 'orange' box, similar.

I like the "GM 4 pin" better (but didn't get it free). It too is recommended for a hunka alu mounting/grease but is alot smaller. It has oe looks, it is easy to tuck up somewhere to hide if needed, can throw a spare in the glovie, & is more available too. Not sure the coil here either but everything is on GoFastForLess dot com. (Schematics & great write up on operation/ele theory).

So nxt time I would go w/hybrid HEI 4pin & DSII dizzy (& my RSB carb). There's a 4 pin waithing for when (if) the ford box goes...

Thanks, Chad.

Funny, I had never heard of "go fast for less" before yesterday, and now it pops up twice in two days.

I was reading a post on fb a while back and a respondent posted a pic of his engine bay and they were running the ds ii and 4 pin. I asked why the 4 pin, there response was similar to your thinking - works well, always has, and cheap and easier to find in a pinch.

Thanks everyone for your input. It appears that both modules work well if they're of good quality and mounted properly.

I'll stick with my Ford module for now and maybe throw a 4 pin in the glove box for, just in case.

Cheers, Charlie

aka @thegreatwhitewagon on Instagram.

charliecurrie":fb55hdac said:
Thanks everyone for your input. It appears that both modules work well if they're of good quality and mounted properly.

I'll stick with my Ford module for now and maybe throw a 4 pin in the glove box for, just in case.

Cheers, Charlie

You are living in the past. Get your wallet out & upgrade to newer technology.
I will say it again if you purchase a stock or reman. DS11 you are leaving drivability, performance & fuel economy on the table.

wsa111":i8li52q4 said:
charliecurrie":i8li52q4 said:

Cheers, Charlie

You are living in the past. Get your wallet out & upgrade to newer technology.
I will say it again if you purchase a stock or reman. DS11 you are leaving drivability, performance & fuel economy on the table.

Thanks for the input, but my wallet is filled with moths at the moment.

When I do pull my wallet out I'll be leaving the tribe and swapping in a efi 5.0 and aod. I'm just trying to get by until then.

charliecurrie":2lgrhldu said:
...It appears that both modules work well if they're of good quality and mounted properly.
Cheers, Charlie
we're of 1 mind (& wallet). Seek the same top notch performance & 'visuals'.
I'm bettin my ford box never fails but will B, as U, prepared for rd side or garage quick return.

Also, U have more knowledge than me on the "ignition electrics". Did U read the accompanying literature
on (I think his name is Mike, it's been a decade since I visited) the site? Taught me alot (all I know anyway, aint much).
Did U find it helpful or backward or...what? May B didn't read~

chad":oog44e8k said:
charliecurrie":oog44e8k said:
...It appears that both modules work well if they're of good quality and mounted properly.
Cheers, Charlie
we're of 1 mind (& wallet). Seek the same top notch performance & 'visuals'.
I'm bettin my ford box never fails but will B, as U, prepared for rd side or garage quick return.

Also, U have more knowledge than me on the "ignition electrics". Did U read the accompanying literature
on (I think his name is Mike, it's been a decade since I visited) the site? Taught me alot (all I know anyway, aint much).
Did U find it helpful or backward or...what? May B didn't read~

I found the website very helpful.

Back