Lead substitute and premium fuel.

BoncStang-60s

I,ve never determined a definitive answer to a couple of questions.

1) should I use lead substitute in my classics?
51 F-1 stock V8 Flathead
66 Bronco 170
67 Mustang 200

2) should any or all of the above use Premium?

Hi, on my classic cars I use regular gas and add 4 oz. Of Marvel Mystery oil every fill up.
I haven't burned any valve seats in many thousands of miles.
I feel the Marvel oil keeps the gas from going stale.
I feel only high compression engines need premium fuel.
Good luck

For a favored vehicle not getting much hard use,the worry isn't the lno /lead. Almost all U.S. areas have 10% Alcohol in all grades and this is a real worry for cars that might get only occasional use.

Locally there is enough Agricultural equip. demand that local stations can offer 'Alcohol - Free" but non-leaded 91 octane gas. I do add some 'Stabil' with N.E. long winter storage conditions.

I add ZDDP to oil changes , adding a 'lead substitute' to gas may add some confidence ...

have fun

if yer still thinkin 'machinin' have the shop make up hardened valve seats along w/the 3> v. job...
The ETHO these days sucks, here's another that adds zink (ZDDP) to the crankcase, no gas worries but
those higher in ETHO...

Another option you may consider, if you happen to live around local airport you could check and see if they will sell you fuel. Aviation fuel is 100 octane low lead with no alcohol. I happen to fly and the airport I use will sell fuel in 5 gallon cans. It’s more expensive right now running around six dollars a gallon. It’s also great to use in your lawnmower, snowblower, or any other small engine that does not get used a lot especially generators. Not having alcohol means it doesn’t mess up the gaskets in the small engines. They run better too.
If you drive your car a lot and don’t need premium and you were going to put your car away for the winter. Just run your tank dry, just put some Av gas it and run it thru the system and you should be good to go in the spring.

aahahahaa & I'd recommend just the opposite due to O2 being the corrosive.

Fill the tank to take out as much O2 as possible and B4 topping up put in the correct amount (I don't know ur tank sz) of stable.
'Less U have a plastic tank like mine (1 yr OEM ina bronk). I look at the gauge, due the math, toss in the correct amount & drive around 2, 3 mi to mix it around...
(y)

Now that you mention it the plane is always parked with the tanks full.
So your right you should keep the tank full.

Back