valve cover options

AY62Falcon

Supporter 2022
Supporter 2021
I have a 200 block from a 78 Fairmont with a 63 head (small log). The car has a valve cover with the PCV hose and I also have another valve cover that I think came with the 62/63 motor without the PCV outlet. I would rather use the one without the PCV because my air filter does not have this attachment port. Will this cause me problems with engine performance or life? This is a 1962 Falcon. Thanks.

:unsure: I am guessing that your reason for wanting to do this to make the 1978 200 engine look like it's stock in your 1962 Falcon? I usually always recommend a PCV system on most street driven cars or trucks because there are no drawbacks in the engines performance plus it really helps to keep the engine cleaner inside and that will make it last longer. The best and easiest solution would be to use the later valve cover and add a 90 degree hose fitting on the bottom of the 62 Air Cleaner to make it a closed system like is used on the later 1965 up engines. But when using and earlier open type oil breather cap you could skip the Air Cleaner mod and still have a good working PCV Open type system. The 1962 Falcons actually came stock with a this Open Type PCV system so with the right parts and a little mixing and matching you could likely run your 1962 / 63 valve cover and air cleaner keeping a semi stock look. The difficulty I see in doing this is if you can find a hidden way to evacuate the crank case either from the 62 valve cover (or the crank case itself, I have not tried this second one on any of the newer engines or seen anyone's that did it, see below link for how the stock system worked.

Now if you don't want to use a PCV as the first Falcon 144 engines in 1960 & 61,' but the trouble with this is that they had a road draft tube to help vent the crank case, which the later engines after 1964 won't have a block boss provision to do that, so your going to have some trouble ventilating the block without using a PCV system. You options to do this is to try a really good open type oil breather cap first and then maybe adding another valve cover breather at the back of the 1962 valve cover that would also help though it won't look totally stock anymore.

In this video link (see below) is the stock 1962 Ford Falcon PCV system showing all its parts these could still be on your old engine if you happen to still have it. If you look real close at the carb base you can see the PCV valve mounted in the carb base adapter plate for the Vacuum side that's needed to work, with a short hose going to a metal tube that then goes over to the other side of the engine and into the blocks boss this is were the old road draft tubes used to hook up on those earlier engines, Ford changed the boss'es use to now evacuate the engines crank case (this isalso needed to work), lastly an open type oil breather cap on the valve cover that provideds fresh air into the engine that's all you need to make a PCV system work. Maybe some other site members will have some good ideas to help you too. Best of luck on your 1962. :nod:

1962 Falcon Engine Showing Stock PCV System Parts
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uK0wCX ... 64JFw/view

Hi, I am in full agreement with Bubba that a PCV system is a great benefit to keep engines cleaner. PCV stands for Positive Crankase Ventilation.
The old road draft tube is a passive system where fresh air would be drawn into the breather / oil fill cap, and the end of the road draft tube was placed under the car, in the slipstream, to create a partial vacuum to vent the cranckcase. You also end up with a tube that always drips oil.
If you are after the vintage look I would get an older valve cover like my 66 engine in the little picture. I still use the oil fill cap, which is filled with course steel wool, and the PCV valve, hooked up under the carb. Nothing going to the air cleaner. All from Ford.
Good luck

Wow, this is great. That is exactly the info I needed. I am not going for a stock look, so I'l do the drill and attach hose to the bottom of the filter. Thanks for taking the time to help me. I am sure I'll be back with more questions later. Again, thanks.

Ok great here is how to do a PCV install using the later style valve covers, for the bester Zford late style Closed type PCV system. All you need do is follow Fords engineering from the beginning systems in 1962 that refined into a closed type PCV system by 1965. The first part of the system is the PCV valve this removes the contaminates from the engines crankcase and consumes them during the combustion process. On the 1965 up inline six'es Ford mounted the PCV valve at one end of the internally baffled valve cover the other end of the hose goes to bottom of most newer carb's (a Vacuum source that's below the throttle blade) or to an adapter plate used between the early style carb's and the intake log, this hose can also be connected / mounted to the intake logs vacuum port too.

The second part of the closed system is for fresh air into the engines crankcase is oil filler / breather cap this is mounted on the opposite end of the valve cover as the PCV valve, it will have a stub hose fitting for the crankcase vent hose that goes to the air cleaner, usally installing it into the bottom of air cleaners base plate this install also looks the cleanest but it will also function the same with it mounted to the top of the air cleaner. Note that different years of valve covers can also have the PCV and Oil a Fill caps reversed end for end, but the PCV systems operating principle will still be the same. A slightly Modded PCV system called an open type or Hot Rod style PCV system can use a open type oil filter / breather cap without the hose bib going into the air cleaner. This system also works well for a car it also filters the air that's going into the crankcase but depending on the filter of the oil filler / breather cap used might also allow some dirt into the engine.

In the below picture (I borrowed this from one of site members "lavron" posts) in it you can see how the later valve cover is installed on a 200 six with the PCV valve mounted at one end of the valve cover it's connected hose is going over to the base of the carb for its vacuum sorce. It also shows the stock later Ford Oil filler / breather cap (there are other caps that can be used from the 1965 up Ford 200's) it's mounted at the other end of the valve cover this cap also has a hose fitting that gets connected to the Air Cleaners base. Good luck on your 62 Falcon. (y) :nod:

Later Ford 200 PCV system
1f829fb8da56e1a40e18966cb3654d25.jpg

you'll need that grommet hand pressed into the VC to hold the pcv valve (seen @ frnt end, by radiator hoses, to left in pic) as well. If U make up the nipple on the AC housing (for a closed system) U need the right parts as well, but all are available. I am making up a closed system w/oem prts now (swappin around, tryin not to look custom or DIY). It can B done :nod:

Back