Exhaust note change - stock to headers

DoctorC

Supporter 2022
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2019
Supporter 2021
Hello all,
long time no post. Moved to France and my baby arrived, but damaged =(
Just some body work, but here all that crap is expensive... they dont have a vibrant classic car community. Here's its big money to have a classic... insurance should pay though.

Anywho. I bought VI dual outlet headers before I left but havent installed them. I'm currently running stock to Y to dual outs on flowmaster 40s. 2.5in all the way (this is how I bought it). I love the growl.

I would like your opinions and experience on the change in fundamental frequency of going from single to dual vs dual all the way.
Theoretically the fundamental frequency (base frequency) should be halved, assuming that the dual is separating by firing order (1-2-1-2-1-2). This would mean that the sound would be lower.

But in reality I've read that the sound becomes more tinny, not growly. I assume this is because of the dedicated cylindrs/outlet going down. Like going from a V8 to a 6. Or a 6 to a 4cyl. The sound becomes more of a buzz since you cycle through each cylinder faster, leaving less of a pause between that given cylinder firing again. Essentially my 6 becomes 3cyl...

So, in summary. Will it wine after I upgrade? I read terrible things about the X pipes here...

Thanks in advance, I know there's lots already on this subject, but I was looking to start a discussion and get some opinions too =)

DrC

I have a X pike on my 67 Mustang, and it reduces some of the interior drone.
CxGbLnf.jpg

GImXfeA.jpg
Bill

Thanks Bill for the pic. I guess the terrible feedback I've read about X pipes here tends to be on the 300s. Not the 200s.
Did you notice any screech/buzz/god aweful noise at highway speeds under load? that was the complaint I remember hearing.

thanks
DrC

Just a higher pitched sound.
Look at all the German vehicles with an inline six, & the all bring the front pipes into a larger connector & then exit as duals.

I like my duals. Its definitely growling at idle and up till about 3000rpm. After, it starts to sound like an angry trumpet, especially when you floor it haha. I have the flowmaster 40s. Here's a link on youtube for mine but i also went to a mild schneider street cam and did the 2bbl conversion to the head and I did an H pipe, not an X

https://youtu.be/N80vdGw-WSk

Good luck,
Ryan

Hey thanks for the vid.
Nice setup!

Back