Radiator fan selection help

What's your preferred radiator fan type?

• Electric fan

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Clutch fan

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Fixed flex fan

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Fixed solid fan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
sixtseventwo4d":1un4ic30 said:
I'm curious to know what your course of action is.

Sorry for the late reply, I've decided to try out the flex fan route since it's the cheapest. Ordered one from summit, but it's been out of stock for like nearly two months, so I hadn't got it yet.

If I could literally make one of them magically work, i'd probably choose electric fans.... But going that route would be too expensive. There's too little space from the radiator to the water pump pulley, means you pretty much have two options:
Keep the stock radiator:
-Get some really cheap low CFM fan since most of them are fairly thin.
Or
-Get some expensive fan with an offset motor like the Sidewinder, which is over 400$.... I've seen whole cars sell for 400$....

Replace the stock radiator with a thin one:
-Get any high CFM fan(maybe even one from a taurus since people say they're incredible).

At least that is how it is in my car, not sure if the radiator is stock, but it sure looks like it.

And in another line of thought, it's literally a daily driver not some race car.... It doesn't need some crazy 2k+ CFM fans to drive. Those fans are just overkill for both your wallet and your car's battery.... I think a lightweight nylon flex fan would do the trick for a not heavily modified engine. Yet if money isn't an issue i'd definitely get a thin aluminum radiator and wire some electric fans...

chad":1un4ic30 said:
he may B just doin a poll.
Hasn;t shown up in overa mo...

Yeah sorry about that mate, I was waiting for like nearly two months to get a flex fan from summit :( I was hoping to post a temperature comparison between the nylon flex and the current solid metal one, still will once i get it :beer:

And yeah, poll was great! plus I got to hear ya all's opinions!

hi froggy, welcome back, sorry bout the slo availability.
What's climatic conditions like there where U drive this thing? Also, pretty flat?
I am a mi, foot, ferringhight, etc sorta fool so if using time, distance, temp - plez use the dumb guy stats...

U got me goin a bit (hard - w/an ol man w/a big butt) and I went on a search (puter only) back then. But I still remember what I saw... I saw all sorta stuff ! (in the fan department).One that caught my eye wuz a fully plastic fan.
I bet we've all seen the kind w/the circular central hub, a bit off white in color (shaped like a reg 8x11 sheet of paper, joined at the 2 ends to form a cylinder) the stocky fan blades - 10 or 12? radiating out from that center hub. BUT I saw 'plastic' fans (what kind of poly, I don't know cuz they were v e r y tough) that were shaped almost like some1 took 1 of 'our' old oem metal fans ( 60s era) and used it as a mold. These hada solid one piece hub (stout thickness) and a scolloped edge long fan blade (again 5 - 7 like our metal) radiatin out from there (but angled like ours, not the 70s/80s era off white 'stubby')... Not sure if it wuz designed like the 'flex' (that blade of thinner metal - flattening w/speed). Seen these? know their operation? :unsure:

There's too little space from the radiator to the water pump pulley, means you pretty much have two options:

The Maverick with the long 250 block/WP fan is tight to the radiator and hard to fit a Puller fan. even with fan removed.

... there is a third option which is a little more involved. My '74 Maverick 250 uses a large Summit Universal Alum' Radiator for increased cooling with engines' forced induction mods. The bottom of radiator support was cut off and steel tubing substituted. The radiator and lower front support was moved forward and down @ 2" and @ 1 " at top. The hood latch support was cut and an angle steel support added.

I added a fan sensor switch to the head water outlet, relay from fused source and biggest Permacool fan and shroud available to fit.

have fun

This may not be the best place to ask this question, and I do not intend to hijack this thread, but it is not clear to me why people would be hesitant to consider relocating the radiator from behind the core support - to in front of the core support, especially with tight engine compartment packaging. I know radiator relocation kits exist for the Tri-Five Chevies (only because I have a 1957 Chevy Wagon), but it would seem that you could put just about any sized radiator in front of the core support and negate many of the issues.

Thoughts?

lotta fab.
My vehicle? need to remove the hood latch, instal cab release :eek:

Back