Another muffler question

196158A

I too have a '61 fordor and replaced the gas tank w/a 16 gal job. At the time seemed simple just have to move the muffler over an inch to clear it. Didn't realize that the stock muffler is wedged in between the tank and the right side leaf spring. So am thinking I could go with an oval shaped one with ports at the center (in and out). Several have mentioned glass packs but like Bubba I like quite rather than LOUD. And close to stock rather than a lot bending and twisting
Both the Falcon and myself have been up on blocks for a few years but the medical issues that have been plaguing me are better. So I've been looking forward to renewing a 30yr friendship with my old bird.
Any recommendations??

Tnx Much
Terry near Philly

You could also just have the muffler moved back if you like the stock one. Like move it before the rear end. Mine are in front of the rear, lot of room by the tank

Hi Terry, glad to hear that your Heath is improving and your able to get back working on your Falcon. Were you going to replace the complete exhaust system? X2 moving the muffler forward in front of the axle should give the room to easily fit in a Turbo muffler, a 2 inch exhaust system should be more than adequate for a stok 170 or 200 or mildly built six. If your not wanting to replace your current exhaust system you might be able to find a smaller round muffler from one of the many foreign cars that would fit in place of the stock Falcon one, that would be fairly quick job too. Check out the Walker exhaust system catalog and some others or if you are able at your local pick n pull yards to get some ideas on the sizes. Best of luck (y) :nod:

I've been real happy with the walker quietflow mufflers lately. I've put them on the van and the pickup. But they haven't been on long enough to know the longevity. I did the van a year or 2 ago and just did the pickup last month.

>Check out the Walker exhaust system catalog
Funny you should mention that. Back in the '90s I was looking for a muffler for it and settled on one for a '75 Datsun 620 pickup. Back in the '70s I sold car parts so I was well versed in searching the Walker catalog with just having sizes. Fit great and wasn't $60 which was what stock one was. Unfortunately it's disconnected. Any of yous guy remember the diameter of the exhaust pipe (fitting into the muffler)?

Terry in Philly

I think the stock pipe size on those Falcons is tiny around 1 3/4 inch ID and could be about 1 7/8 OD (y) :nod:

I don't know about a Datsun but the stock exhaust on a small six was 1 3/4" until it was 2" OD in '68 or 9. I'm real happy with my single 2" system. I tried the 2.25" I was running off the 170 from the 1.75" head pipe on the 2" off the 250 and I hated it. It seemed to do well on the old tired 170, choked at the head, but it droned badly on the 250 and I swear I got a small bump in performance going to the 2" system. The van has a really short exhaust system on a 92" wheelbase exited in front of the passenger rear tire with the engine between the seats. You can barely fit a small muffler and a small resonator in that length.

Tnx gents! I think I've found a tentative winner in the Walker 17867. Have to get under and take a few rough measurement but looks promising. Price is good too.

Terry near Philly

can you tell the design? turbo? chambered?

Back