Ford 200 performance

Haleyscomet

I have a 1972 mercury comet with a ford 200 ci i6 and was hoping to get a bit more power out of it, does anyone have ideas on how to make it pretty quick without a 302 swap and is it even possible?

Welcome aboard, ignition, cam, head mods which will determine what carburation you run.
Also headers & a good flowing exhaust systems. Bill

Haleyscomet":1ftmnrfd said:
I have a 1972 mercury comet with a ford 200 ci i6 and was hoping to get a bit more power out of it, does anyone have ideas on how to make it pretty quick without a 302 swap and is it even possible?

Yep. Do everything Crosley did on his 62 Futura.

xctasy":1ftmnrfd said:
Ford did lots of weird stuff, like this XE coded 1978 2-bbl direct mount 3.3 development engine.

hEAD_MITT20XE20201090_eX20D7BE9430CA50CA_CARB_XD9BE94588BB_VAC20POD_XE201596_612b_31.jpg

hEAD_MITT20XE20201090_eX20D7BE9430CA50CA_CARB_XD9BE94588BB_VAC20POD_XE201596_54b3_31.jpg

The engine combination with a proper 2-bbl with a log head can still make 205 hp, though. See Crosley's direct mount Falcon modifications.

4412 500 CFM Holley 1.38"

Just a D7 head, some basic milling, and a nice radical 274 cam, which isn't even lumpy on a cast iron intake Ford, they still idle like an old Model T.http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56639&p=440076#p440076. Can't do 15 sec ET's at 88mph unless you've got 205 hp.

logheadport2-1.jpg
logheadport-1.jpg

205 hp from a direct mount 2-bbl 500 cfm Holley 4412 carb. 15 second, 88 mph quarter miles with a C4 auto.

Search 49 reasons.

search.php?keywords=crosley&terms=all&author=xctasy+&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

And welcome (y)

Hi, get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook and come up with a plan.
How is it running now? You won't wake up a worn out engine. How many miles on it?
I would do a compression test before anything else.
If the tune up is way old just a good fresh tune up will help a lot.
Good luck

B RON CO":3gqb1xrh said:
Hi, get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook and come up with a plan.
How is it running now? You won't wake up a worn out engine. How many miles on it?
I would do a compression test before anything else.
If the tune up is way old just a good fresh tune up will help a lot.
Good luck

The engine runs fantastic and has around 70,000 miles on it!

I do't know your budget, but a later model head with the big log with a direct mount for a Holley or Autolite 1.08 is the path for more HP.
I remember Mike sent all his work to a local in Mesa, AZ all i know is his name. Elmo.
The only other source is Jeff Jones from Calif. He does quality direct mounts & porting.
I can help you with a curved distributor.
You can see mine in the small six for sale section of the forum. Bill

Definately get the Falcon Handbook as it will get you up to speed on various levels of performance mods.
For a bit more power I would suggest the tune up tips in the Handbook and get a custom curved DSII and performance coil/wires and a larger carb. Depending on your budget next get a 2" exhaust system and low restriction muffler. If you have more money then a header.
If that is suffucient then continue driving and enjoying.
To go further with cams etc I would find a good 200 block and rebuild it while you continue to drive what you have.
Check out what stardiero75 says in this link:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80826

How far do U wanna go? How much $ skill & assistance?
Do U know ur equipment (U must know its possibilities & compair to what U want).
So good on ya mate, ur gathering info - the 1st step. Don't 4get the other 3 I just mentioned.

the Handbook (avail from Matt at vintage inlines dot com) and above tech archive (free) are good starts.
Many simply advance the timing 3 or 4* on a properly maintained motor (got that) as a 1st step. Ford retarfed
it as a polution control measure.

W E L C O M E !!!
do some thread searches from the Index page as well?

Welcome to the Ford Six forum Haleyscomet, so by now your question is likely answered by all the good responses, and that those 200 six'es can perform with the right combo of parts. I did get to see and hear Crosley's Falcon up close 3 or 4 years ago at a Phoenix Az. Car show that some of the site members attend during the summer. Yes it was quite an impressive sounding little 200 six and running 15.10's in the quarter mile is quite good. To put that in some perspective Crosley's Falcon could embarrass a stock Mustang coupe with a 289 or a 302 2V and C4. Good luck on your 72 Comet. (y) :nod:

Hi Xctasy, do you happen to know any of the spec details of the experimental 2V 200 / 250 log head? Looking at your pictures it appears like the log volume is considerly bigger as the top rounds up almost as high as the 2V mounting plate compared to the log shape of the D7 to E2 heads. It's a shame Ford didn't put them into production. :nod:

chad":rirj3rfc said:
How far do U wanna go? How much $ skill & assistance?
Do U know ur equipment (U must know its possibilities & compair to what U want).
So good on ya mate, ur gathering info - the 1st step. Don't 4get the other 3 I just mentioned.

the Handbook (avail from Matt at vintage inlines dot com) and above tech archive (free) are good starts.
Many simply advance the timing 3 or 4* on a properly maintained motor (got that) as a 1st step. Ford retarfed
it as a polution control measure.

W E L C O M E !!!
do some thread searches from the Index page as well?
I wouldn’t like to spend no more then around 1000, and if it’s possible would like to get to the high end of 200hp, I have a general idea of what I would have to do and have plenty of help to get it done.

$1000.00 you will be lucky to get 100HP.

wsa111":16f8ucyw said:
Big cam, and a late model head to immediately slap on. Thats the best hope for $1000. All together for my build:
$150 for the E0 head
Free for 2V mod
$150 for valves
$45 for 302 springs
$650 for head rebuild
$300 DUI Dizzy
$50 for Aurolite 2100 1.08
$50 for carb rebuild kit and accessories
$20ish for 1" carb riser
$300ish for cam and lifters
$30 for Oil Additives
$60 for 2 oil changes and filter
$200 headers
$600 for dual exhaust

Thats just the mains stuff, theres so much misc for hardware and paint and all that.

StarDiero75":kf5nhya0 said:
wsa111":kf5nhya0 said:
Big cam, and a late model head to immediately slap on. Thats the best hope for $1000. All together for my build:
$150 for the E0 head
Free for 2V mod
$150 for valves
$45 for 302 springs
$650 for head rebuild
$300 DUI Dizzy
$20ish for 1" carb riser
$30 for Oil Additives
$200 headers
$600 for dual exhaust

Thats just the mains stuff, theres so much misc for hardware and paint and all that.

I have noticed the head is the biggest problem and I was going to do a homemade tripower set up, if you don’t mind me asking how much hp do you make?

139 RWH with a C4 trans. Thats about 175-180 HP at the flexplate.

I'd suggest going abt it (& some would disagree) a lill differently. What R the known ways to pep up any motor, & this 1? Using those methods, what is expected w/each? (standards: back cut valves, modern cam, valve sz increase, port polish, carb, exhaust, timing, pumps, etc). What is the return on each, what is the cost, what must B done when making a discrete choice (effects on other prts to the system) how much will each cost, how is it done...

Again, the Handbook is a great overview for ur specific engine. It hasa staged plan (drive now, save'n build as U go) model of approach, ID (my 1st caveat to U abt what must B done w/a 60 yr old rig that's new 2 U) points, and much more. While waiting for delivery from Matt, U could use above 'tech archive' for free. Just click on the big blue box w/the crossed screwdriver/wrench. May B look at "Stage II" or 3 upgrade as consideration, wild budget guess?

Haleyscomet":3bhp7kp0 said:
StarDiero75":3bhp7kp0 said:
wsa111":3bhp7kp0 said:
$150 for the E0 head
Free for 2V mod
$150 for valves
$45 for 302 springs
$650 for head rebuild
$300 DUI Dizzy
$20ish for 1" carb riser
$30 for Oil Additives
$200 headers
$600 for dual exhaust

I have noticed the head is the biggest problem and I was going to do a homemade tripower set up, if you don’t mind me asking how much hp do you make?
I haven't dyno'd it yet. I'm still tuning it and I may take it down after. let me just say, it was worth every penny. Even with a 2.8 rear gear, i can peel them without trying too hard. It's probably close to WSA's. But I'm running a 5spd, not an auto so I'm utilizing a little more of the HP.

1972 Comet - Not too many around, good to see the Comet nameplate anywhere. With a good running 70K 200 six it should be simple to put a little more fun into it.

I have a 77 Comet front Grille / Clip and window trim on a 74 Maverick . The more stylized Comet was considered the better dressed Falcon and then Maverick. The Comet added S/S window trim for a hardtop/fastback look to the 2 door Maverick roofline.

I wouldn’t like to spend no more then around 1000, and if it’s possible would like to get to the high end of 200hp, I have a general idea of what I would have to do and have plenty of help to get it done.

Optomistic depending on your resources and how long you want to keep the engine intact. A well tuned 200 with a few bolt-on adders can wake up the frequently poorly tuned six's performance possibilities.

A Used air pump at @ $ 1K can put more fun into the Maverick's six, but still needs details related expenses. .

Hav e FUn

frm Handbook:
updateing the ignition system and carb, installing a free flowing exhaust system, a more modern camshaft grind, larger valves with 3 angle valve job and back cutting the valves, pocket porting the valve bowls, a little more compression, etc.
Now U wanta better suspension and break set up...itsa system, change 1 prt & it effects all the others...

For you homemade Tri power set here some inspiration for you. Check out what Ford did and Ak Miller on 1970 Maverick 250 six, see below link. If your 200 has a good Autolite or Carter carb on it now just use that for the center carb, then pick up a pair of Holley 1904 or 1908 1V for the other two carb's. You could also use a set of the Holley 1940's like my friend JD " jdn2178 " did on his 1968 200 six Mustang or a set of Carters. Best of luck on your Maverick (y) :nod:

The Ford Mavi GT Show Car
http://maverick.to/grabber/MaviGT.html

JD's Tri Powered 1968 Mustang
viewtopic.php?t=62804

Back