Prepping engine block for paint, in vehicle

62Ranchero200

Famous Member
Greetings Ford Six Fans,

I'd like to repaint my engine block while the head and so many other parts are out of the way.

How best to prep the block for paint under those circumstances? Clean with degreaser, then wire brush? Fine sandpaper?

Thanks
Bob

Thnx 4 makin a seerate thread. Many do not & it becomes a mess (multi topics, tough on 'search' & other issues).

I start w/a scrapper (puffy knife, anything). The stuff is so thick, it goes right into a news paper or 1 of my bake sheets frm the kitchen & out. Easy on clean up steps.
Nxt I use a degreaser of some kind spray down, hand wire brush - ele throw da stuff around too much.
Then rags coated w/any degreaser...
Now it's pretty clean. Tough leftover spots I may use the pneumatic brush.
Last may B likewise but w/a very low grit wheel.
I'm cheep so use gas, brake clean or may B better, oneada 'paint thinners' the best, I go over to really clean. May B a 'tack rag' and get
v e r y clean. I use a (bubba's got a thread on 'correct colors') rattle can spray of hi temp paint (U could use primer 1st but can't leave open long as primer attracts moisture) appropriately (ford lght blue for me) color. I use the newer "K2" 'clear' on alu, steel, chrome & other prts I want to stand out (20$ a can, must use all up, can;t save). I use 60% gloss blk on pullies'n such for the final detail (satin or low, not even semi gloss). I do not copy oem, I cover nuts, etc...
Any heat lamp? Still got a fire in the stove (mine'sright nxt to the wood stove). Some heat would B nice as it dries (70, 80*, not hot)

Once more I'd like to have stand out - the need for gloves as petro-chem and hydro-carbons lead to damage in life (u mah friend, the human, I'm most concerned abt, but the rest 'out there' when disposing). One neighbor garage hada death (yr ago) due to brain cancer (I believe frm 40 - 50 yrs of stuff covered hands) no nitrile use. Just like goggles, use ur PPE!

U may need 1a those "button pushin, can holdin" lill cheep plastic things that U place on the can to paint the back of the motor or harder places to reach as the motor is 'in". A mirror-on-a stick (15, 20$, cheeper at HF if in ur area). /OR/ U may let it go, as it's not seen...

I use wire cupped brushes on a dremel on the gunk in tight spots.
They don't last long so I get them in bulk on ebay.
Wire brush on a regular drill is also effective.
When you are doing a final degrease and final prep, wipe in one direction.
Do not wipe back and forth as this just redistributes the grease.

I'm a big fan of a product called Super Clean for cleaning engine parts. I get it in the big jug and dilute for the task at hand.. I use it for everything from cleaning greasy engine stuff and the bbq grill to the kitchen counters.

Assuming you can keep it off of rubber, aluminum, etc, Oven Cleaner works well on thick gloopy engine blocks. Just remember you're dealing with lye...

Back