My 200 Project

WoW, that 'racer's' transmis is almost as good as my off rd/on rd truck transmis.& much different purposes~
Thinkin abt it I can now C Y. Hummm, unrealistic of me to imagine it'd B too different...
We'd go thru tham solwer'm quicker tho, no? :LOL:

Alright guys, so i think i figured out what my rough idle is. I did a compression test and here's what i got, 1-6.

1 is much lower than the rest. My money is that i need to readjust the valves. On break in i had issues with backfiring through the carb. Its only an issue when compression breaking or idling. I'll get random super lean values. I'll back off the valves a little and report back.

Howdy guys,

So after backing off the valves for #1, the car ran much smoother and i stopped getting a random lean valve on the AFR, its pretty consistent now. Also i found out. My 2 year old NOS PCV went bad b/c it runs like complete crap when it's plugged in. So for now i have it not hooked up. Now I'm adjusting jets.

I'll take it out for a spin tomorrow to get all the data of the AFR gauge. curently the idle is at 12.5-13 and WOT is 11.5-12. I'll swap the jets and play with it then.

"...old NOS PCV went bad ..."
hi heat smoked da oil?

Econoline":1sc3vmfo said:
PCV issue may indicate a vacuum leak somewhere.
Really? I have another one around, I'll try that. I've been spraying starter fluid all around my 2V adapter stuff and have yet to find a problem.

Currently its such a drastic change. So before i hook it up, the AFR is pretty steady around 12.5ish, car runs smooth. I hook it up, and the values chsnge to like 16+ and it idles like dirt. Does that sound more like a bad PCV or it leading me to a leak elsewhere?

The reason being that the pcv is a designed vacuum leak, when plugging that helps it can be b/c of another leak somewhere. Or it can be a bad pcv letting too much air by under high vacuum conditions. Just something to be aware of.

hi heat smoked da oil?
Maybe. The oil looks great, i just checked it. Looks like its brand new
= = = = = = = = = = == =
I don't know what to say. I usta do machinin and a lill 'artistry' black smithing too. We told temps by color:
cherry red (bright like those pipes)...1500* F
orange red/dull red................................1550
lght red..............................................1610
orange................ ...............................1700

important on tempering & hardening (jamb into a bucket of water or oil) and 'forge' welding. I worry as it seemed the motor was at about 2X (50% more) than it should be for 20 min. Not sure what that'll do...

Econoline":1cc4lra9 said:
The reason being that the pcv is a designed vacuum leak, when plugging that helps it can be b/c of another leak somewhere. Or it can be a bad pcv letting too much air by under high vacuum conditions. Just something to be aware of.
I do know its a designed vacuum leak, thats makes sense that adding another one would do that. I'll try my backup one and see what that does. Thanks for the input man

chad":2iusovun said:
hi heat smoked da oil?
Maybe. The oil looks great, i just checked it. Looks like its brand new
= = = = = = = = = = == =
I don't know what to say. I usta do machinin and a lill 'artistry' black smithing too. We told temps by color:
cherry red (bright like those pipes)...1500* F
orange red/dull red................................1550
lght red..............................................1610
orange................ ...............................1700

important on tempering & hardening (jamb into a bucket of water or oil) and 'forge' welding. I worry as it seemed the motor was at about 2X (50% more) than it should be for 20 min. Not sure what that'll do...
It mighta done nothing b/c there wasn't load or anything. plus that could mainly be from the unburnt gas burning in the pipe. The valves are all sealing good. So i don't know what else to do now. I'm just gonna finish tuning the carb and enjoy it. If something comes up, I'll tackle it then. Y'know?

Econoline":19bhhswj said:
I bet it's like a different car with the 2v, t-5 and the new cam.
Oh my you have no idea. and the exhaust too. This this is a beast. just gotta finish tuning in the carb

Heres a video i just made

https://youtu.be/N80vdGw-WSk

Sounds pretty mean too. I'm very happy with everything so far. Next up is 3.25 gears from the 2.8. We'll see how that makes it even better.

StarDiero75":17zcnja5 said:
...Next up is 3.25 gears from the 2.8. We'll see how that makes it even better.
Yrs ago I saw a guy go 'all the way' w/1 of these. My Q is...

When will U address 'the rest' - Your 'handeling package".
Tires, suspension, breks? This guy hada R'nP steering may have got a package or assembled
springs, steering components, K, and so on. I forget if he put in frame stiffeners...
It was a hot lill auto cross/scca/pro solo.

Do you have plans? Have U thought of continuing in this way? How would that fit in w/the efi, the other decisions
current, 1 inch lowering, etc? /OR/ is it getting to the end? /OR/ get there as U go? (I hope not).
(y)
8)

You might consider a 3.5:1. It comes down to highway vs town. You have a bit of overdrive in 5th. What are you turning @ 60-65 now in 5th? What diameter wheel, 25.5"? @ 2.8 you're definitely at the economy end of the spectrum bordering on lugging in 5th unless you have really small tires. With 25.5" tires and a 3.5 rear end you'd be doing 2230 @ 60 vs 2750 @ 1:1 top gear(4th). For highway I think 3.25 is a smart choice though. Gives you a bit more pep around town but keeps things kosher @ 70+ cruise w/your .81 od.

Econoline":2uy3knju said:
You might consider a 3.5:1. It comes down to highway vs town. You have a bit of overdrive in 5th. What are you turning @ 60-65 now in 5th? What diameter wheel, 25.5"? @ 2.8 you're definitely at the economy end of the spectrum bordering on lugging in 5th unless you have really small tires. With 25.5" tires and a 3.5 rear end you'd be doing 2230 @ 60 vs 2750 @ 1:1 top gear(4th). For highway I think 3.25 is a smart choice though. Gives you a bit more pep around town but keeps things kosher @ 70+ cruise w/your .81 od.
Really? 3.5? In my calculations I've done online, 3.25 puts me about 2300 RPM at 70. With the the 3.5 I'm at 2575ish at 70.
Currently I'm turning about 1750ish at 60 and 2000 at 70. It definitely doesn't have a lot of power on the highway. My worry is that my 1st gear starts to become a granny gear. Its got the 4.03 1st. Thats the other reason being conservative with the 3.25.

My tires are 25.9, axle is 2.8 and trans is .81 OD.

Thanks guys! I think it sounds amazing!! I love it so much. It drives like a bat outta hell and sounds like one too. I love the rumble.

Back