What is a low mount, big bell 200" engine worth?

gumby23

I am not buying or selling. I am trying to determine a fair market value for a budget related project. The problem is, the sampling of the market is so small that gathering a reasonable cross section of data is difficult. So, I ask those of you who would potentially buy one, how much would you pay for a complete, low mile take-out?

I traded for mine, and I see one listed on eBay right now for $700
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Engine-3 ... 1438.l2649

I suspect a fair value would be someplace in between.... :beer:

that answ depends on so very much: geographic area (city, rural), condition, desirability, seller, buyer, ad infinitum.
I C others dwn that same page $1,300 - 600.

This seems 2B a move 2 upgrade (throw in a bent8?) and the fox stang is just comin into desirability. Seller attempting to fund a swap? A running, non smoker like this would B worth $150 -500 to me, but most of the conditions R lower 4 me ($1500 4 full machining & rebuild).

I look 4 a fox waggy & C $500 - 3,500 for a whole car ('82 - '86).

Too many variables 4 me to help accurately gauge price... Just thought I'd stop by 2 say "Hi!"

I agree the variables are numerous. Maybe I should be asking if anyone wants to share what they HAVE paid for one?

I traded two Volvo core engines(~$300ea market value) for a low mile, low mount shortblock and a crossflow head.

If this is the 200 that can be adapted to bolt on a T5 or other sbf trans without using adapters.
I have been considering adding one of these to my inventory. If it was a conveniently located takeout, good running, complete, low mileage specimen I would possibly go up to 500. I would want to hear it run before the seller removed it and placed it in the back of my pickup. Even though you don't see these often there just is not much demand.

to me the
Oz 2v iron x-flow
wuz worth the Wowo motors
and I know the dollars don't add up that way.
(Is that what you got oudda da deal for the 2 re-buidables?)
and I now have a 170 & 2 250s, so there's that
:nono:

The crossflow I got in the trade is aluminum.
Trying to figure up a replacement budget for traded parts is proving fairly difficult... :unsure:

Thanks bmbm40, that is the type of info I am attempting to gather.

gumby23":2jfqafdo said:
The crossflow I got in the trade is aluminum.
Trying to figure up a replacement budget for traded parts is proving fairly difficult... :unsure:

Thanks bmbm40, that is the type of info I am attempting to gather.

The 3.3L in your first post has 137K miles on it. I'd consider that a rebuildable core worth a couple hundred dollars.

I purchased a 3.3L low mount starter bare block for $100. Figure I could use parts from my other 200s when I rebuild it.

Question gumby23. Is the crossflow head from the Australian 250 Xflow?

"...crossflow I got in the trade is aluminum..."
Oh, OK - XD'n up ('78 +) not Oz 2V x-flow (XY 10/'70'n up).
godja... (y)
Have fun.

Purchased a 200/c4 combo out of a 82 fairmont and got the driveshaft for $500 a couple months back. Im on the east coast....

Just looked on car-part.com and found a 3.3L engine in a Toledo, OH "junk yard" with 33K miles for $350.
8th digit in VIN is "B" with a 10-1/4" converter, low mount starter.

When I look on Car-part, I see that listing and a few others listed as large pattern. I also see more confusion on which VIN label is which, but that listing at least has a pic for verification.

I think the verifiable listings there are more realistic than the eBay ads. I also suppose that as long as the low-mounts are mixed together in listings, and available at roughly the same price as high-mounts, then they will be valued equally overall.

sorry, but I never trust a pic.
On fleebay if a commercial entity they may even have a disclaimer 'this pic for reference only' (may not), an 'individual' more often - not. Its a toss up. Verify w/tele call/email. Same on carpart. For shipping these bulkies I use uShip (a fleebay co?) when I have time as U get a biding war (race to the bottom) an "LTF" (less than a truck full). I like to use the solo guys anyway (not a big co, justa wrkin guy w/a truck/trailer like 'us').

gumby23":j5567ywc said:
When I look on Car-part, I see that listing and a few others listed as large pattern. I also see more confusion on which VIN label is which, but that listing at least has a pic for verification.

I think the verifiable listings there are more realistic than the eBay ads. I also suppose that as long as the low-mounts are mixed together in listings, and available at roughly the same price as high-mounts, then they will be valued equally overall.

xcode1983only200.jpg

Key board warriors lump everyting together. The above X code wasn't a 1979 to 1983 thing, it was a 1 year only 1983 engine with a dedicated colored Throttle Stop Positioner emissions packge very much like the 1982 engines, but it had some blocks still with high mount and C3 Bordeux gearboxes, not just the C5 low mount. Its kind of hard to tell what is what. Generally, the X code rocker covers were grey, but if it was high mount C3 equiped, it was blue.

The 1982 X codes with the low mount C5 were generally totally grey from rocker cover to block, unless it was a high mount automatic C3.

As stated many times, the thing I use to remember the eX BLT burger mnemonic.

LAST YEAR OF THE 3.3/200 was 1983. That year only, X VIN code

For 1980-1982, two years only, the 200 got a B code

In the years before, Ford changed the default VIN codes for 250 and 200 engines.

In 1969, L code for 250, which was kept till 1979
in 1969, it was T code for 200, which was kept till 1979

1980 only, the 250 engine code became C.

Ford didn't then, and doesn't now, care about continuity.

1979 to 1983 was Fords worst financial crisis ever, with whole plants being closed down by the EPA.

There was a bunch of changes to the whole six cylinder plant that were making these engines.

Ford felt they were initially only ever supposed top be inventory fillers, and the Vee engines, the 1980-1983 4.2 D code and 1982-1986 3.8 6 code engines were supposed to get rid of the old log head engines.

Codes X, B, L, T and even C were all the letters left in the alphabet soup bowl for Ford to assign.

I would say $100-$300 depending on condition. Those engines are unwanted by most people - too small, expensive and difficult to modify for better performance, poor aftermarket support for parts, don't sound good, and old, inefficient technology compared with what's out there today.

I bought a 250 for $150. It was from a 73 Maverick and had a standard bore.

I think that would be your ballpark number. Most people that are selling them seem to think they have gold cylinder liners and ask a lot for them. :)

Back