Intake runner angle

Invectivus

Subscriber
Gold Supporter
Does anyone know the angle of the small log intake runner going into the head? I want to do planning with my machinist befor milling off the log and measuring it. If we knew, we could just do the one setup.

depending on the yr can't U just put an angle finder on there?
We have 1 for setting up chassies, another is a carpenter's...

Yeah, but to get a good reading we need to have the log already milled off, and we’d almost certainly need to readjust the piece before boring out the runner.

On an all stock combo with engine installed in the chassis with it setting at the stock ride height and stock size wheels and tires, the carb mounting base is level front to back side to side. The angle of the engine setting in the chassis is then 3 degrees. To verafy this set your head up so the carb mounting base is level front to back and side to side, next use your angle gauge on the head gasket surface and that will give you your degree angle. Good luck on your project. (y) :nod:

bubba22349":3lrfbm6x said:
...angle gauge on the head gasket surface and that will give you your degree angle. Good luck on your project. (y) :nod:

i'm thinkin that will B different than the "runner angle" requested here...

Yeah, the plan is to mill off the log, then bore the runners out for either interference fit press-in tube sections that are easier to weld to, or clearance fit a custom intake.

I have a mess of pictures I haven’t gotten around to uploading to show what I want to do

chad":hhkm81ng said:
bubba22349":hhkm81ng said:
...angle gauge on the head gasket surface and that will give you your degree angle. Good luck on your project. (y) :nod:

i'm thinkin that will B different than the "runner angle" requested here...

:shock: How is it going to be different? With the carb base set level then the top of the intake log is also level, then the runner angle is going to be the 3 degrees just like the block and heads downward tilt of 3 degrees installed in the chassis. Good luck (y) :nod:

Sorry. Just saw this. I have a sawed off, small log head sitting on my bench at home. I'll try to remember to measure the angle tonight. It will be approximate because I don't have a precise way to measure.

So I finally uploaded pictured to my website, to show what I want to do.

The first two pictured show the head with the log milled off. You can see that head is at an angle so the plane of the milling is perpendicular to the path of the intake runner. The intake runner travels down and to the right from the intake log to the valve pocket.
Mill_1.JPG

Mill_2.JPG

The third shot shows the intake runner bored out with a boring head so that new intake runner tubed can be inserted. I don't know if they are interference cut, or clearance cut with a method of securing them.
Bored.JPG

Then there are a couple shots of the heads with custom intakes attached.
CustomLog_1.JPG

CustomLog_2.JPG

And finally, a different set up with independent runners for DCOE carbs.
Independent_Runner.JPG

"...I want to do..." ???
huh? looks all done !
Don't still need that angle do U ?

These are all other people’s pictures unfortunately. I still need to fab my assembly to hold the work piece. I wish I could just clamp it to the table and go.

magnetic chuck w/V blocks?
weld upa jig?

For the angle (again) stick a flat plane (toung depressor like) in there & usea angle finder offa da gasket face...
Good luck, thnx 4 da pic !

What kinda miller(s) do U have?

Back