"Something always leaking"

DoctorC

Supporter 2022
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2019
Supporter 2021
Hi All,

My new 67 has an oil leak somewhere, and a tranny leak somewhere. Before the purchase, I had a local mechanic hoist it so we could have a look see underneath, and for him to give me an idea of anything major wrong with it. After buying it, I asked him to change the oil and drop the pan so we could look for sludge, metal shavings, and have an idea if the engine has 62k, 162k or 262k miles by having a look see at the crankshaft (owner has no idea if it was ever rebuilt and is not sure if the dial has gone around yet).

In the follow up conversation, the mechanic (who has supposedly rebuilt a 66 and 68 in high scool) said that these things pretty much always leak from somewhere.

This struck me as odd. However, I've never had a 50 year old car before, so what do I know. Tolerances are never better that now, i get that. Materials too.

Any opinions on the matter from the local experts?

I'm hoping the new pan gasket, and tranny gasket will help. We'll see. I plan on pulling the head and cleaning the chambers and putting on a new gasket there too.

That otta do it, no?

4 me leaks R fun to figure out. I like problem solving (puzzles'n such).
Oil leaks R hard as driving blows the 'trail' around, gravity doesn't lie (usually). (In my home building/maintenance process at least travel didn't obscure location, &...)

So if U can clean Then not drive or start 4 awhile U may have a better chance to ID location. If need B I place a lrg cardboard (weighed dwn by rocks) under to observe location of leak. Come back in 1 day'n C. Trace upwards. Follow trail, use lght, mirror, what ever it takes. No leak? start'n run motor 1 min. Look again (now, even w/o moving - the fan may have moved the trail, 7 min the fam may not but block is still heated a lill, just a start will put it under pressure). Do not drive yet. Still no trail? make sure motor is clean (rags? pressure washer? solvent at car wash?) and drive a lill (5, 6 mi). Pull over cardboard again'n look.

Make sure ur senses tell U what type of leak it is: sweet - frm radiator; red, PS or tranny, black (blond/golden) crankcase, and so forth. Is it breaks? :unsure:

The parking spot from the prev owner was not oil caked and there was no oil drip visible when I arrived to the cold engine. After warm up parked and a joy ride I noticed it glistened a little.

After hoisting it at the mechanic's, there as an obvious drip or two on the engine and the tranny. I'm thinking I'll steam clean / power wash the whole engine bay after driving it home (1.5hrs) and do what you suggest. If I'm lucky, the 2 gaskets he's replacing will do the trick. That's assuming these things don't *always* leak?

If not I should be ale to play detective =)

Howdy Doc:

Enjoy the hunt. And no these old things don't always leak, but they do require TLC. Add the front and rear crank seals to your routine inspections. Good hunting.

Adios, David

Well it's good to know they're not permanent leakers =)

Turns out the mechanic, when he pulled the pan, didnt do anything other than clean it and note " the crank was ok". Which kinda sucks cuz I asked him to drop the pan and pull the bottom of a connecting rod to eval the crank for wear. Since I'm trying to assess the wear and tear. He did steam clan the engine bay tho, and paint the cover red to match the car. So there's that. He did not that the crank pulley was wiggly. So I ordered a new balancer to put on and overnighted it to him.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to do it myself. I'll drive it for 1k miles or so then do it. I planned on pulling the head over the next few weeks and cleaning the chambers and checking the valves anyway.I want new gaskets since it's leaking from somewhere...

I suppose I'll do a compression test, pull the head, clean it, clean the piston heads and check the chambers, put a new gasket and plugs, then see how she feels. Then maybe upgrade the distributor and Carb. We'll see.

I pick it up tomorrow and will have a good chance to see how she acts. It's a 1.5 hr highway drive home (y)

"... It's a 1.5 hr highway drive home..."
if shake dwn cruze 4 U w/this vehicle R there any contingency
plans? U given it a 20 min 1 yet, etc...

I just put on last week a new valve cover gasket. It's definetly leaking. I hammered it flat and used a cork gasket but looks like I'm gonna have to do more than that.

I did notice that it's leaking ALSO from the back and dripping down to the tranny. I smelled the oil on the tranny and it's not tranny fluid, it's engine oil. So that made me happy =)

I'll order some silicone gaskets off Summit and try them out next week.

Make sure you have your pcv system operative, & make sure your breather cap is free flowing.
Spectre make a nice one. Bill

I can't seem to find the rubber/silicone ones anywhere online. Only cork.
Anyone got a pointer?

Valve Cover gasket? Vs12692 is cork. Vs12692r is rubber.

For the C4 use a lubelocker gasket for the pan

:D Fel-Pro also makes a"rubber"vc Gasket.Started using that brand way back in the mid 60`s.Have always been most satisfied.Your local parts house should stock them.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

The part number was very helpful. Turns out I can't find them because they're being discontinued, at least that's what the Rock Auto page says. I got their last one.

From your other post on valve cover leak did you take any pictures of the valve cover flange area after you cleaned off the old gasket? :nod:

DoctorC":1kc6os1v said:
The part number was very helpful. Turns out I can't find them because they're being discontinued, at least that's what the Rock Auto page says. I got their last one.
I saw your post and checked it out,
i was able to order two of these without issue even though it said last one.
Couldn't pass it up for $2.50!
I think the "last one left" might be a marketing ploy.

Here is a page with parts for my '78 Fairmont.
Lots of general maintenance parts for the 200:
https://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefee ... &html=true

Gaskets are real cheap. :mrgreen:

Well I fell for it! I was gonna order 3 and just went with 1, cuz 1 left!

Do these rubber ones need replacing like cork? Or is it a forever gasket?

bubba22349":ntstyo0l said:
From your other post on valve cover leak did you take any pictures of the valve cover flange area after you cleaned off the old gasket? :nod:
No I didn't =( Sorry. But the cover will off soon enough for a new gasket. I'll pic then.

I have the stang on front ramps with cardboard underneath. Today I happened to notice there is a puddle under the oil filter. I ran my hand on it and it was wet underneath. I think I musta done a piss poor job of installing it? I did notice that it seemed a little big (outer lip of can goes past rim of block) but Napa said it was the correct size...

I'll drain the oil and swap it out.

"...on front ramps..."
makes it a lill more difficult 2C as
the path as it will B skewed a lill now.
C if there is another path (look up on block)
coming dwn frm elsewhere...Glad ur not runnin it
as the fan can blow the stream further obscuring location.
Drivn is even worse on ID as the additional air flow adds to difficulty.

Back