Operation Battery Relocation

rmcphearson

I'm demoting my battery to unsightly status and moving to it's new location under the panel in the bed of my ''62 Ranchero. My intention is to turn this car into a "bobber"- all unnesessary components are removed, leaving/revealing only the essentials, for a clean look.

Someone made a crappy battery tray, with no hold downs. The battery was floating around until I tied it down temporarily. Since I had to buy or make a new tray I decided to make one that could be installed under the panel and get the battery out of the engine bay for a cleaner look.

I hope to finish this weekend.

-Roland

Attachments

• bat1.jpg
    bat1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 164
  • bat2.jpg
    bat2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 164
  • bat3.jpg
    bat3.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 164
  • bat4.jpg
    bat4.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 164
I like the idea man. I contemplated the same thing in my 65 Ranchero but i like the easy access of it in case i need to do something.

Are yoy gonna ditch the mechanical pump and put an electric one in? Thatll get rid of even more.

I put mine back there in a boat battery box to give me room for the alt. and AC bracket since the headers bump everything over some.My new fuse block is back there too,just haven't finished it.8"is distracting me. And having done wiring for 25+yrs,my enthusiasm is lacking.
Just remember to bump up the wire size,DC doesn't like to travel far.this is really important for electric fans also.
The boat box really helps on the corrosion on my '62 and gives this ol poot something better to grab when I pull it out

StarDiero75":ag0n89wk said:
I like the idea man. I contemplated the same thing in my 65 Ranchero but i like the easy access of it in case i need to do something.

Are yoy gonna ditch the mechanical pump and put an electric one in? Thatll get rid of even more.
I put an electric pump in last year near the gas tank. The pressure regulator/gauge is currently mounted to the homemade cover where the old mechanical pump used to be. I'll probably hide that stuff too one day.

chero1369":1gybx5m2 said:
Forgot to say my solenoid is back there too.
Hmmm, interesting idea. But I wouldn't have access to the hot wires/terminals (for jump starting etc.) unless I remove the bed panel. Hmmm... you got me thinking though.

Well.I may have gone a little overkill on mine.I put a hole(s) in my subframe connecter,grommets,one-hole strapped it to tire side of fenderwell,to a female welding connector that is kinda close to heater fan and use a male connector to hook up jumper cables(keep male conn in glove box with the lug key)

This all became redundant when I found a long stainless steel piano hinge and some twist to unlock hood locks.Works pretty well,but my relays and fuse box still get damp in our annual rain.haven't yet found something I like to seal that piano hinge.The other side of the hump is where I strap down the bottle jack and floor jack and tire tool.
It's a mini trunk back there now, and no one ever thinks about about it.

chero1369":fbgm0ahm said:
Well.I may have gone a little overkill on mine.I put a hole(s) in my subframe connecter,grommets,one-hole strapped it to tire side of fenderwell,to a female welding connector that is kinda close to heater fan and use a male connector to hook up jumper cables(keep male conn in glove box with the lug key)

This all became redundant when I found a long stainless steel piano hinge and some twist to unlock hood locks.Works pretty well,but my relays and fuse box still get damp in our annual rain.haven't yet found something I like to seal that piano hinge.The other side of the hump is where I strap down the bottle jack and floor jack and tire tool.
It's a mini trunk back there now, and no one ever thinks about about it.
I want to hook that panel up to some gas struts or something and be able to use it like you I'd like to keep my tool box back there. Its wasted space currently though

Hhmm,gas struts.Now why didn't I think of that?Oh wait a minute,i'm old,had 2 strokes,and never had anything with gas strut on it.
Yeah,that's it...

If you haven't already got cables, consider a couple of those military style connectors.
serveimage

I just did these and replaced all the cables on my diesel.

Y duz that terminal have 2 cables?
How many could it take (as long as the bolt, I guess?)
Whats it called, $, & source?

Google military battery terminal

It replaces the original crappy connectors with ring terminals.

You use two cables on a dual battery diesel - on from the first battery to the second and one to the starter.
But you can run any accessories off of it.

The bolt is just a standard 3/8".
I got my Cummins cables here, but they sell the parts and you can make your own cables easily enough.

https://www.custombatterycables.com/

Howdy All:

FYI- The covered space behind the cab in a Ranchero bed is "foot wells". FoMoCo used the same sub structure from the station wagon- the foot wells are for the back seat passengers.

I put my battery there too. I looked for a shorter battery and cut down the top of the marine battery box to fit better. I also put a hinge on the foot well cover for easy access. It was a good move for cleaning up the engine bay as well as helping move weight off of the front and evening weight front to back.

Hummm- Gas struts are a great idea. What were your struts from Star?

Chero- Moving the jack(s) and tire tool back there is also gold. It is truly wasted space as designed.

Adios, David

that section and its cover only on the round bodies
or
ford do it the same on later yrs?

Chad,
I don't know about the square bodies,but the 76 had the footwell open to the cabin and that's where the spare went.You couldn't exactly call it convenient.Later,I saw it stuffed with audio,Still deaf.

CZLN6":7ngunz11 said:
Howdy All:

FYI- The covered space behind the cab in a Ranchero bed is "foot wells". FoMoCo used the same sub structure from the station wagon- the foot wells are for the back seat passengers.

I put my battery there too. I looked for a shorter battery and cut down the top of the marine battery box to fit better. I also put a hinge on the foot well cover for easy access. It was a good move for cleaning up the engine bay as well as helping move weight off of the front and evening weight front to back.

Hummm- Gas struts are a great idea. What were your struts from Star?

Chero- Moving the jack(s) and tire tool back there is also gold. It is truly wasted space as designed.

Adios, David

Oo people like this idea lol. I haven't done it yet, it was solely and idea my dad and i had. Maybe off an older Durango or some hatchback. I kinda want to do it now that you all are liking it

interesting. B nice to have some difinitive info on "where when".
Kinda like the bronk w/the 'bulkhead' a head board for the p/u version v the stationwagon version.
(20% models '66 - '72).

I put a new starter solenoid behind the passenger's coil tower and replaced the dinky little cable that fed the starter with a 4awg which is what I ran from the battery. She fires up quicker now!

Can anyone tell me what that relay is below the regulator? I'm getting ready to rewire the engine compartment. Any suggestions on this?
-Roland

Attachments

• batt1.jpg
    batt1.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 41
  • batt2.jpg
    batt2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 41
  • batt3.jpg
    batt3.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 41
  • batt4.jpg