HEI ignition

Charlie Cheap

I am installing a GM style HEI on my modified 200 in a 65 Mustang. The car is built ground-up for interstate highway running, not MAX HP. It looks like running a hot wire direct from the battery to a relay, then to the dizzy is the best setup for max spark. The plugs will be opened up to .045" with Ford spiral-wound 9mm wires. The carb is a 2100 Autolite 2-barrel (287 cfm), the bore is .060" over (had to due to broken ring on #6) and the exhaust is far less restrictive. With 26.5" rear 15" tires and 2.83 gears, 25 mpg is easy. I just think a hotter burn may help MPG, HP and cleaner running. Anyone already done this? THANKS!
image]

I'm a fan of using the GM HEI module with a DSII it's a simple and reliable setup. Can be wired directly from the ignition switch just by replacing the SS resistor "PinkWire". NA or forced induction, starting, idling or WOT the HEI ignition module fits my specs'.

have fun

Not my thread -

... lots of posts on my forced induction projects - mostly asking for help. Maverick 250 with Vortech V2 and homebuilt Holley 4412 2Bbl blow thru. Running 5-10 lbs boost currently. Previous 250 with BOP derived Turbo setup blew piston ring lands off @ 20 lbs boost 8)

Charles, for maximum economy & performance your HEI needs desperate attention.
The calibrations are way off unless you purchased one from me.
You only get what you pay for. Bill

"...Anyone already done this? ..."
yes - go fast for less dot com.
He shows all the HEI / DSII hybrid needs as I remember (10 yrs ago, now?).
Schematics, components, etc.
AND
I don't recall him doin it as U describe...

"...Anyone already done this? ..."
yes - go fast for less dot com.
He shows all the HEI / DSII hybrid needs as I remember (10 yrs ago, now?).
Schematics, components, etc.

... components needed are the HEI module, DSII distibutor and a few wires.

(if photobucks allows:)

haev fun

I have the DSII/HEI combo with a TFI coil. I ran mine off a relay thrown by the ignition wire. The module is fed through the relay from a fused wire from the battery. I was concerned about the old wiring in my van and wanted to ensure it got full juice. Works great.

this seems like an ideal to some of us. What are the coil 'needs' ?
(I've heard 'troubles' w/the ford thin foil).
When my ford DSII bx goes I'll get the HEI 4 pin...
wanna know if I can keep the same coil.

DSII 12V coil is suitable, any full 12V coil should work with the HEI. Favorite these days are the "TFI" coils but even the points/resistance wire coil could work with separate HEI 12V - AFAIK' . 4 Pin HEI modules require adequate heat sink to maintain reliability.

Howdy Charlie and all:

I sure like your setup from your description. I don't know if your rewiring will give you a hotter/stronger spark or not. I think not. To get a stronger spark you will need a hotter coil. I used the "Blaster" coil from MDS on my build with a DS II and standard FoMoCo module. The coil came with a hookup clip for super easier connection.

FYI- If you haven't had the centrifugal advance in the distributor recurved to compliment your engine and set up you are leaving a lot of punch behind.

I hope that helps.

Adios, David

:banghead: I know that I have read what year/years the GM 4 pin modules were on,but I just don`t remember.Could someone please refresh my memory?Thanks.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

"...what year/years the GM 4 pin modules were on..."
some '72, standard acc. all models in '73.
Not sure when ended. (Didn't it crawl up & under the Cap in '80s - those "tall phriques")?

Chrysler had ele 1st in '60 I believe (was it the Dart or what was B4 in that model?).
Ford also early in it's FE motor ('62?) but GM got it together w/this 1. (Delco developed & eventually
all others kinda followed it).

63falcon4drwagon":1o7ksvpr said:
I run a 1976 Ford Fairmont 200ci small cap distributor with a 4 pin GM module mounted on the shock tower.

A '76 Fairmont eh? That would be a rare duck. :LOL:

JackFish":sii16avb said:
63falcon4drwagon":sii16avb said:
I run a 1976 Ford Fairmont 200ci small cap distributor with a 4 pin GM module mounted on the shock tower.
yeah, '78 wuz 1st 1, but I claim:
Granada ('75) as 1st' foxbodied'.

chad":2hj8q46x said:
JackFish":2hj8q46x said:
63falcon4drwagon":2hj8q46x said:
yeah, '78 wuz 1st 1, but I claim:
Granada ('75) as 1st' foxbodied'.
The 1st gen Granada was on the Maverick platform from '75-'80. 2nd gen fox body was only 81-82.
But the '78 Fairmont was the first fox-body.

I C we're back on-line

that's Y i word it:
"...I claim:..."

I C the HEI 4 pin frm $20 to near ahundred, Leo...

Back