Offy tri-power stalls when in gear

To the best of my knowledge -1966 200cid with the offenhauser 5205 manifold. Three 1904 Holley carbs, and a Mallory dual point dizzy.
Camshaft , pistons and rods are unknown to me.

***correction. Those are 1940 carbs...not 1904***

thegreyghost":r2dgvpf2 said:
Well I took the car for it's final cruise a couple weeks ago before stripping it down and getting it ready for paint. The engine ran very well. No misses, no sputtering, no coughing or stalling. The transmission on the other hand just seemed sluggish and always in the wrong gear. Once I removed it from the vehicle I found metal flakes and sludge in what was supposed to have been a rebuilt C4 - and it did have the original 66 crusimatic valve body.

I liked the novelty of the I6 and the uniqueness of it all, but I just don't think it's my thing. I really doubt I'll be putting it back into the car and definitely not the C4.

I wanted to thank everyone here that helped me with this. The wealth of information that I got in such a short period of time was invaluable. Thank you everyone.

:D Well since you don't plan on using the 200 six again, :shock: if you wanted to you could send it out to me then. I would be happy to make sure the Tri Power 200 lives on in another project car. Best of luck in your next engine swap (y) :nod:

bubba22349":z10hxndu said:
thegreyghost":z10hxndu said:
Well I took the car for it's final cruise a couple weeks ago before stripping it down and getting it ready for paint. The engine ran very well. No misses, no sputtering, no coughing or stalling. The transmission on the other hand just seemed sluggish and always in the wrong gear. Once I removed it from the vehicle I found metal flakes and sludge in what was supposed to have been a rebuilt C4 - and it did have the original 66 crusimatic valve body.

I liked the novelty of the I6 and the uniqueness of it all, but I just don't think it's my thing. I really doubt I'll be putting it back into the car and definitely not the C4.

I wanted to thank everyone here that helped me with this. The wealth of information that I got in such a short period of time was invaluable. Thank you everyone.

:D Well since you don't plan on using the 200 six again, :shock: if you wanted to you could send it out to me then. I would be happy to make sure the Tri Power 200 lives on in another project car. Best of luck in your next engine swap (y) :nod:

I am seriously considering selling it. It holds some sentimental value, but I don't ever really see me putting it to use. It would certainly be a shame for it to sit in the garage for years unused.

I promise if I do decide to sell , it will be here first. You guys were a great help, and I truly appreciate it. :D

chad":3f9whyr9 said:
"...wealth of information that I got in such a short period of time was invaluable. Thank you everyone...."
as penance for i6 removal I sentence U to 2 mo of listing on our For Sale of the engine and transmish !!!
B4ability fo list elsewhere.

(Meanwhile we agree to find a '69 Boss 429 with '71 wedge heads CJ/Super CJ for ya - to be delivered Sept 1)

So let it be written, so let it be done. I will be listing my 200 CID I6 for sale here before anywhere else. I'm putting together all the information I know about it along with some pictures that I'll post soon.

Since I really don't have a very good idea of what to ask for something like this, I'm toying with the idea of accepting offers for a period of time and selling to the best offer.

Yea / Nay... does that sound fair ?

Obviously, logistics are going to play a part here. I can probably manage crating or strapping to a pallet and taking to a truck terminal, but don't have much experience shipping items like this past that.

Ideas ?

"...I can probably manage crating or strapping to a pallet..."
Not an expert but had both luck & unhappiness.

The best I found is an off shoot of flee bay. LTT (less that a truck-full) means some1 like U or me (a wrkin stiff) hasa truck. They (or may B the wife) gets together a trip - stop here, stop there along the rout - p/u more. May B a 6 cyl dodge cummins and an open or closed 2 or 3 axel trailer/gooseneck. It's called uShip. They have a bidding process. U can wait awhile and prices go down. I used them for 2 (250 motors) - $150 frm VA and TN to MA - 2 separate deliveries 1 yr apart - 1 flex-plate ('75), 1 sbf bell, carb, ign. 1 a 'core', 1 a 'running motor' ('69) both $250 but no offie tri). U give a 24/7 phone number, provide a dock or level p/u area & turn-a-round space. This all may B for the buyer anyway...

Did I send U a 3 or 4 paragraph post like this but on 'sales"? That's another loaded topic...

On the sales - I'm even less help. I believe its 1/3rd off the cost/expense of whatever you've done. Plenty of opinions here, I'm sure. Differences on areas of the country, rural v city buyer, availability, specific item, lots goes inta valuation. I C alota testing (guys place something on a market w/o really selling just 2 C where it goes. List elsewhere @ a firm top price'n hold tight). Example:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987- ... -unimog-4/
scroll dwn the page, 1/3 panel dwn da right side w/all the pic...U will C motors now'n then.
CL and flee-bay the same. I fell for 2 or 3 fox-bodied wagons ('78 - '86) that were pretty obviously 'tests' (Cali, MI and Baltim, MD). I offered on the hi end, over bid everybody (3.5K$) but the sale did not go thru due to "seller pulled add". Folks probably put a 15 or 20K$ 'reserve' on'em so as to not sell /or/ wait till some1 actually bid that hi...

Use a regular pallet (make sure to drain CC 1st). Get some blocks either frnt &/or sides, rest right on oil pan, use 2 to 4 ratchet straps (1.5 inch?), wiggle it when done. U can wrap w/that palletizing plastic frm a roll (firms up, makes driver happy as the leaks stay inside). If it moves U need to start again or adjust till firm. U no da drill... Fancy is 4x4 blocks long corner/edge cut off @ an angle, glued'n screwed to pallet @ proper position for using oe motor mounts (still need ratchets).K? ask more if not...

Buy it...
he went onto another motor

Back