Cool little engine

Recently I bought a 65 Econoline pickup with a 170 in it. Really cool Little truck. My dad, who turns 80 in a couple of months, made an offer on it and then backed out the next day because he decided he was to old to tinker with it. I unbeknownst bought the truck the next day and am secretly trying to fix it up to give him for his upcoming birthday. I have spent all of my spare time wrenching on it and replacing all of the ignition parts and pieces And I finally have it running after many years of sitting in someone’s back 40. It is such a neat little engine, and simple enough for a novice like me to work on. Looking for additional parts I ended up buying a 66 Econoline Super Van camper with a 240 the other day. It’s a really neat rig as well. Cool enough that I just can’t seem to canabalize it so am looking at ‘fixing it up’ as well. Lol. Anyway, I have a cracked exhaust manifold on the pickup so am looking for a replacement part. Can anyone suggest a ‘best’ place to look for a quality original type exhaust manifold to replace the broken one? I will also be looking for engine parts for the van’s 240 as well. I have it turning over but no spark; so back down the same path as the pickup’s 170 I’m afraid. Anyway, thanks for any resource recommendations for this growing project. JL

keep yer hands offa the '66 for awhile :LOL:

We have a 300/240 forum for that (later) and a 4Sale forum 4 both.
Or car-parts.com for either...

(Looks like U have "the bug". WELCOME !!! )

Also on-line is vintage vans dot org or com or sumpin. Great seta guys too.

Welcome aboard and what a cool project for your dad. The exhaust manifolds can be found all over ebay. The new reproduction ones are usually less than $100.00. Your signature doesn't show where you are located. If you are close by another forum member, I'm sure they could help you find one locally.

Good Luck,

Kevin

national parts depot and vintageinlines both have a number of good parts for the small six.

Thank you very much for the replies. Frankly web surfing for replacement parts options is almost overwhelming. Can someone tell me if any and all 1965 170 exhaust manifolds will fit my Econoline application? I see such a variety of them for mustangs, falcons... and such. Also, I had planned on replacing the manifold bolts but am wondering if I will need a gasket or fitting to the exhaust as well.

Again, I appreciate any replies and the expertise in helping me while I learn this little beast. JL

BTW, I am just a few miles north of Spokane Washington.

I didn't mean the exhaust gasket at the engine, I will certainly replace that as well, I meant the doughnut or round shaped packing at the exit of the exhaust manifold. Sorry for any confusion.

Any of the stock manifolds will mate up. There is an oddball one that mates to a catalytic converter or something like that. Probably not what you are looking for. I do have a couple, but I'm here in IA.

Yes to my knowledge the exhaust manafolds that were used on Falcon, Comets, Mustangs, etc should also fit your Econoline 170. There are some that are better than others with a larger outlet so check that if you want a direct bolt on, but if you don't mind changing some of the exhaust system out than the bigger outlet will give you a little better performance. Also some manifolds had a flat type gasket and others used the donut. Yes besides the head to exhaust manafold gasket you would be wise to change out the donut or flat gasket at the head pipe too. Good luck on the Econoline. (y) :nod:

You need to get the one with the 1.75" outlet. Scott Drake makes them. All the ones with the X on the casting are the 69-on 2" outlet castings I think. If you have an early flange outlet style manifold you are sol and should just go to the 2" if you have to change the exhaust.

That’s exactly the kind of info I need. Thank you. I’ll tear off the old one tomorrow and see what I have. I’d bet it will be the earliest version since the truck rolled off of the assembly line in December of 64. Coincidentally that was the same month I was born! Lol

Back