Good news and bad news

falcon_master

Hey everyone. I got some good news and some bad news I found out today. Good news is using wire in the #1 spark plug whole and a sharpie and a ruler I found TDC and the damper is actually correct. Bit I also did a really rough guestimate of the stroke and got 2.6 in. I'm gonna call that measurement error. So 2.5 in stroke is a 144. Couple that with the unpainted block and pan and the engine tag that says it's a 144 and the VIN number saying it came with a 144 and I say odds are really good it's a 144. The casting code says it's a 170 though not sure what that's about.so the good news. I think it's the original engine from the factory I finally know what I have and it seems to run ok. Bad news it's a complete turd. It's really weak and it has the early small he drive which means no duraspark upgrade as well as it has a 4 main crank. So as far as I can tell I'm screwed performance wise on this engine. I think I'll try it out see if I can live with it. But I'll probably end up finding a 200 or 250 to swap in. I'm guessing if I go the 250 route I'll need a bigger trans and rear end to cope with power. But I was thinking if I already got a 250 somehow why not 300 or is that just to big. But I wanted to thank everyone for getting me to where I am now. I got an engine that runs and I know some options. Part of me wants to keep this car stock because it's more valuable that way but this car is already worth next to nothing hagerty values it at 6k so it really won't hurt to upgrade it. Can I get your guys advice thanks

1. I'd go with the casting and not worry about it
2. Why are you screwed? Roll your sleeves up and get to work with what you have. That's what hot rodding is all about.
3. Did you get the Falcon Six Performance Handbook yet? Lot of gems in there on how to work with what you have.

Go read that thread by Cometman. He is about to make do with a 170 and overcome much of what you are worried about.

:unsure: Even a 144 can be built up into a fun ride! As soon as the first 1960 Ford Falcons hit the show rooms people started building them up for racing and fun (see below links) to one of the first Hot Rod articles ever written on those little 144 Ford Falcon engines.

Making the Falcon Fly
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/att ... g.1259822/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/att ... g.1259823/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/att ... g.1259824/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/att ... g.1259825/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/att ... g.1259826/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/att ... g.1259827/

:shock: Well and if you wanted too a 144 can be made into a 170 easily and probably at a low cost! 144's and 170's share the same bore size, so all you need is to drop in the 170 ratating assembly, i.e. The Crank, Rods, and Pistons. Beyond that the 200 is also an easy direct bolt in swap for any 144 or 170 engine and when painted in the stock 144 Ford Factory engine colors almost no one would ever be the wiser.

Yes a 250 or 300 will fit into your year car though each of them will require some extra work, plus the hunting up or making a few special parts, the 300 being the most amount of work. Add to your planed budget because of the extra weight and torque of those two bigger six'es you will need some better braking (at least the V8 5 lug Drum brakes), a stronger trans, and also bigger a minimum of an 8 inch rear axel for sure. Good luck in your endeavors. (y) Edited

You'll get excellent gas mileage. I believe the 144 is in the high 20s low 30s range for mileage. It'll take a while to get there though lol.
Just keep driving it and see what you think. You may not be able to use an HEI but petronix works and with a hot coil itll be fine.
Yoy can still put a weber 32/36 on it for a little boost in power or try a larger 1 barrel from a 200 or 170.
Adjust valves and such, make sure carburetion and timing is dead on for most power and economy.
If you really wanted to have fun you could put a t5 in it with a spooky high rear gear like a 4.54 and put an 8" in the back. With the overdrive the highway wont be bad and itll drive nicely and possibly kinda fun.
Yoy could do a single outlet header with a 1.75 or 2" pipe.
Have fun with what you got. A true hot rodder can take nothing and make it something. If you want to upgrade, id do a 200 since its literally bolt off, bolt in with that. The 250 will require a different setup. The 200 will also allow yoy to keep the trans, 1 less thing to have to switch out.

Good luck,
Ryan

Well thanks for the info everyone. Your right ive forgotten my true intentions with this car. I want to keep it orignialish. One thing i might do is what was suggested and take a bigger cranks and rods and out them in my block. Would a 200 crank and rods work to make like a 180 something. Thanks everyone

So your best bet is to find a 170 crank and swap it out giving you a 170 with the longer stroke, next is extensive head work with either a logectomy which while difficult is the modification that makes these engines run like crazy. Porting and polishing the head is also highly suggested as well as higher ratio rockers, unshrouding valves, zero decking the block, milling the head. If you want to run pump gas keep static CR to around 10:1 or less (pretty easy to do). More air/fuel in = More power out. Another thing with any engine but especially with inlines is a well balanced rotating assembly. This not only assures that there are no excessive vibrations in the drive line but also lightens most of the components to a slight extent and less rotating mass means it can spin faster. I wouldnt be to worried about the 4 mains as these cranks were forged from the factory in the pre 65 model years i believe? something like that so likely hood of them breaking is pretty small your more likely to spin bearings and such. I will say plan on spending every bit as much build a inline as you would a v8 possibly more due to the rarity of parts and people who can do work on them. But nothing quite beats the look on peoples face when you pop the hood and a 6 is there. Let alone the stories people will tell you.

falcon_master:2l9ee09g said:
Well thanks for the info everyone. Your right ive forgotten my true intentions with this car. I want to keep it orignialish. One thing i might do is what was suggested and take a bigger cranks and rods and out them in my block. Would a 200 crank and rods work to make like a 180 something. Thanks everyone

:unsure: Ok as long as we are bench racing this combo for fun, yes if you could find a 1963 1/2 to 1964 1/2 4 main 200 Six (3.126 stroke) crankshaft it would drop right into the 144 or 170 blocks, crankshaft main centerline to top of deck 7.808 same as a 200 block, (but these 4 main 200's were only a short production run of about 1 to 1 1/2 years so it might be hard to get one). With a stock bore of 3.50 inch this would give you the potential of a 180.46 cu in engine and a little more when bored out to around say at a max of .125 over :idea: with an .080 over then it would be a 188.8 cu. in combo.

You also need to use the 170 or 200 Six Connecting Rods along with a custom made Piston depending on what the Blocks Bore size ends up at. The 170 or 200 length rods will work fine but it likely will require that a custom piston be made to get the deck height just right, since a stock 200 piston is 1.511 (and its .019 down the hole) so this would be piston pin height of around 1.530 for a zero deck height. With the Stock spec 170 pistons having a piston pin height of 1.580 they would be sticking out the top of the block by .050 you might be able to cut the tops down that much to use them they are made from Standard to .060 over size. With the stock spec 144 piston also made in Standard to .060 over size, it has a 1.515 piston pin height so it would be much better at only .015 down the hole this could work as is or with just a little block decking you can get it to a zero deck height.

The Aussie's and Argentinian's built some taller deck height Blocks in a 188 Cu. In. (plus a 221 Cu. In.) engines (I don't know what their bore size but my guess is it's probably same as a 200 at 3.680 , stroke of a 188 is probably the same stroke crankshaft as a 200 at 3.126, the 221 is a 3.46, I don't know what the piston pin height is or the Rod length that they used for either of them) but on those two blocks they are suppose to have a taller deck height then our US blocks so if you could acquire some of those 188 Pistons my best guess is they aren't likely to fit into a US block. Where is Xtancy when we need him!

It would take some carful piston catalog research to see if there is any other existing pistons made that could be better fit this combo. Good luck (y) :nod: Edited

Hi, I would have fun and drive it around for now.
You can look for a good candidate 200 to hot rod as time and money allow, and learn more on that. That way you will still have the original one, and you can drive it while you work on the replacement engine.
The 200 would bolt in without changing to much, and can be made to look original, with your personal touch. Good luck

Ok thanks everyone for the info. The 200 crank and rods will definitely be a possible future upgrade. I have a job and work alot during the summer. I am hoping to raise a few grand for repairs and upgrades.one thing I was thinking is a DUI kit from VI for about $400. It's pricey but it'll get rid of the points and crappy load o matic action. Then I'll proceed to periodically do upgrades either to the head or fuel system. I'm not sure yet if I want to find a junker car and just pull the head and dizzy out of it if it'll fit. I kinda want to pull the engine to A. Clean the engine bay and B. Clean the engine. It literally has like 2-4cm thick of pure grease and oil build up. It's disgusting. I thought the block was painted black at first. It's a total mess to work on. I was thinking while it's out I should probably at least remove the oil pan and inspect my crank and cam just roughly see any obvious signs of a problem. I'll keep everyone updated. But thanks for renewing my faith in this small engine. I've kinda grown attached. When I first got the car I didn't even think about it keeping it. I was gonna v8 swap it until I saw the cost. And I like the reliability and simplicity of these motors. But it seems like Ford just made it as difficult as possible to upgrade it as they could. Intake cast as part of head on top of the exhaust manifold(DOH!). Then a vacuum only advance dizzy with a tiny hex drive. But I'm kinda committed to keeping it stock to show people what a compact economy car was in the sixties. Im just crossing my fingers that trans is in good shape.

".... Intake cast as part of head on top of the exhaust manifold(DOH!). Then a vacuum only advance dizzy with a tiny hex drive. But I'm kinda committed to keeping it stock to show people what a compact economy car was in the sixties...."
think bout what the previous was built on to design/produce this. It was an advancement, we don't C that in h i n d sight. All we C is how archaic it is. I love the late 30s - '51/2...the basic nature to brakes, early autoTransmish, cloth covered wires,etc.
8)

Yes that crank would fit in your block, but is it out of a 170 or 200 engine? The Casting number makes it likely a 170 crank, a 200 crank would have at least a C3 or C4 number prefix, if you plan to buy it ask the seller to measure the stroke for you first.

As to your other question the 144 rods are (4.855 long) not the right length they are too long unless you want to use a set of expensive custom Pistons. You would need a shorter 170 or 200 rod that's (4.715 long) to work. If the crank is a 170 you would need the same 4.715 length rods plus a set of 170 Pistons. If it where a 200 crank along with the same set of 4.715 length rods and used with your 144 Pistons then you would have a workable combo (see my above edited posts). Good luck (y) :nod:

cr_bobcat":nafuabsj said:
Those little 144s were used in hydroplanes and rev'ed through the roof. There's a lot of hidden potential there if one has the patience to tease it out. There are little known toys out there like this

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320...njector-for-sale-we-never-knew-they-made-one/

So there's lots of things that can be done. Set her up to wind her out and let it fly! :beer:

Australia had the same 155ci class as well . saw this at an all ford day in 2013 :

60's boat with ford 144 - think they did an over bore to get them to 155ci.

log cut off and mech fuel injection: reputedly they spin them- In the day- to 9000 rpm:

and pulled in by a 65/66 Australian falcon coupe:

back to the "1 m.cycle carb each cyl."

I'd like to see them turboed (save the '1 per' for the 200). Plenty ones like that on the modern mrkt today!
:nod:

Back