DIY 2V Mod

Econoline

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2019
Supporter 2018
Late last week I dropped my spare head, a D5, off to my machinist to have it hot dipped and magnafluxed. When I get it back I'm going to take a 6" grinder and cut down the carb flange on it's angle into the high side of the log, ala stanyon. Then I'm going to clean it up with a file and use a bur to clean up the 'low side'.

My plan is to build a wooden box with scrap to hold the head and dry sand. Put the head in the grill and get it as hot as I can(It will get at least 7-800F), then brake out the torch to heat it up further and build the low side with bronze and braze on a 1/4" plate on for the tbi. I'll throw it in a bed of dry sand in the box when I'm done and then fill it with dry sand for the cool down. If all goes well I'll have the machinist face the plate on the mill and install SI portflow valves, hardened exhaust seats and 300 springs. I'll port it to before the valve job.

This is step #2 towards efi. Step 1 was welding in a bung for the O2 sensor when I made may new exhaust a couple weeks ago. Step 3 is an efi fuel tank. I've done alot of brazing in my career. But not on cast. I have bronze brazed cast, but only a small part once. I peened it right after and wrapped it with fiberglass exhaust wrap for the cool down. Still in service on my bandsaw.

This will take a while, but I'll update this thread as it progresses, for better or worse.

tdlund":zeu124fq said:
Take some pictures for us. Can’t wait to find out how it works.
U Go Seth !
am subscribed an watin patiently.
As above (I understand much of the plan but certainly not all) pic sure help (document AND 'steal'!)

"Stanyon" ? I.e.: Paul Stanyon the
Senior Marine Surveyor? with CunninghamLindsey ?

That is awesome. I like that efi plan it should maximize the driveability, mileage and power.

seth, sounds like you have a plan here. take your time, and make the area you plan to flatten out as long as possible. that way you can use a straight edge to ensure that your base is indeed flat enough for the direct mount adapter.

I got a call from my machinist on Monday, went over and there and found a very short crack across the #4 exhaust seat. He almost missed seeing the crack we both noticed it in the sunlight after he loaded it into the back of the truck. Bummer :( . Today he's going to cut the seat out and magnaflux the area and see if the crack is still there. If it's still there he's going to drop it off to a guy that repairs iron heads, he says it'll cost $60 to repair. He also said the head is otherwise in excellent condition, hardened exhaust seats, good valve guides ect.

Sorry to hear about the crack but $60 seems like a very reasonable cost to repair. Hope it all turns out well.

Thanks for the sympathy. I didn't hear from him today and didn't have time to stop by. I'm going to check the status in the morning.

Econoline":32473qur said:
...found a very short crack across the #4 exhaust seat. He almost missed seeing the crack we both noticed it in the sunlight after he loaded it into the back of the truck. Bummer :( . ... drop it off to a guy that repairs iron heads, he says it'll cost $60 to repair...
Not another!
Glad U caught it.

Back