Going for 150 rear wheel hp...

Robert92867

Supporter 2019
Some of you may have followed my 2V modified engine rebuilding threads. I am returning my engine to Fresno to have the builder make good on his advertised specs that should have included pocket porting, valve guides, and valve seats (all not done). I might as well have the ports matched and upgrade the head to 1-1/2" intake valves and full roller rockers with dual springs and degreed camshaft while I'm at it. So far I have a choice of 3 Autolite 2100 carbs (1.02, 1.08, 1.14) ready to go, a DUI dizzy, Scott Drake single outlet header, 2" single exhaust. The block is a '68 200cid, with rotating mass balanced to within a gram. The head is a 1978 with the 2v modification. What else could I do to make 150 nominal rw hp without a radical cam?

My other inline 6 is a 2002 Cummins ISB260 in a motorhome.

Several things hurt you. The 2" single exhaust is one, the DUI is second & what camshaft are you planning to use.
After you get it running dial in the A/F at WOT to 12.8-13.1. Bill

You could try to turbo it. That'd add a lot of horsepower with no expense other than a little weight

Thanks Bill. I was aware of your preference for DS II. Unfortunately, Outlook returned my email to you back in Feb as "undeliverable", so I rather hastily decided to go with the DUI... after all, it's even recommended in the Falcon Handbook. I can do something about the 2" exhaust. Mustangs Unlimited has no idea when it will come in and I can cancel that order. 2-1/4" would be better? Again, I was looking at the Falcon Handbooks recommendation for 2" single exhaust. My cam is (quoting from my builders spec here) "original ford camshafts reground to my specs. Advertised duration: 256 / Lift: .390/.390 / Lobe C/L: 108. I have not bought the A/F meter yet. Any recommendations? Is a data logger a big deal? As for the turbo... My 2002 Cummins inline 6 is turbocharged with a moderate 20lbs of boost. On a hot day pulling up hills EGT can run close to 1300 degrees. I would prefer to stay naturally aspirated, and avoid custom radiator and aftercooler installation.
Regards,
Robert

Pound for pound, the best engine is an outboard motor. (I just made that up)

When you say "ports matched" I have to assume you are talking about the exhaust ports? I would not resize them by port matching them to the header gasket....you need the velocity...just have the rough casting removed and smooth them. Those cam specs are a stock Ford camshaft yes...don't think you can get 150 rwhp with that cam. Just my 2 cents.

Howdy Back Robert and All:

Just to clarify- we did not recommend the DUI. We only made reference to it when it first became an option for us. We choose to go with the DS II for several reasons. The function of both DUI and DSII are comparable but the deciding factor, for us, was the hugeness of the DUI in the engine bay. For us, it was aesthetically unpleasing. Since then, Bill (AKA wsaIII) has improved the function and reliability of the DUI, but the thing is still huge.

On the exhaust pipe diameter we recommended a 2" exhaust system as an upgrade on a single exhaust over the 1 3/4" or less stock pipe system. For your performance goal you may need more. A dual outlet header and exhaust system is the way to go.

On your cam selection, why are you being so conservative. You are putting alot of performance into your head. You will need more cam to use it. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Adios, David

Are you aware chassis #'s are only good for mods done to the engine then retested on the same dyno.
For example my 205 put down 139 RWHP with a mild cam & 9.4 compression ratio. My cranking compression is 175#.
My mustang also has a C-4. If i had a manual trans the #'s would be closer to 150 area.

Robert92867":3qx14hsx said:
Thanks Bill. I was aware of your preference for DS II. Unfortunately, Outlook returned my email to you back in Feb as "undeliverable", so I rather hastily decided to go with the DUI... after all, it's even recommended in the Falcon Handbook. I can do something about the 2" exhaust. Mustangs Unlimited has no idea when it will come in and I can cancel that order. 2-1/4" would be better? Again, I was looking at the Falcon Handbooks recommendation for 2" single exhaust. My cam is (quoting from my builders spec here) "original ford camshafts reground to my specs. Advertised duration: 256 / Lift: .390/.390 / Lobe C/L: 108. I have not bought the A/F meter yet. Any recommendations? Is a data logger a big deal? As for the turbo... My 2002 Cummins inline 6 is turbocharged with a moderate 20lbs of boost. On a hot day pulling up hills EGT can run close to 1300 degrees. I would prefer to stay naturally aspirated, and avoid custom radiator and aftercooler installation.
Regards,
Robert

Pound for pound, the best engine is an outboard motor. (I just made that up)

As for exhaust system parts check out Vintage Inlines as an alternative source of parts (see below link). They can probably help you with a good performance exhaust system as well as many other inline performance parts to reach your 150 HP goal. X3 I will have to agree with everyone else that a single 2 inch pipe (though it's great for mostly stock engine) is a bit too small for your desired performance goal. Good luck and keep us posted as you progress on your build up. (y) :nod:

https://www.vintageinlines.com/exhaust

This has been most enlightening. For those of you following my engine build, I returned my engine to my builder today and I mentioned my desire to have 150 rw hp. He affirmed what you learned people have told me. The log head (even 2v modified) is limited in what can be done without radical cams or forced induction. He then told me of the story of an old man in his 80'sau 250 head in jeffs posession.JPG that was selling him some ford 200 parts... that led to "come see what I have in the back". What you see is a cast iron au 250 head in pretty decent shape. We are negotiating terms, but I feel like another door has opened and I want to walk thru it.au head pic 2.JPG

Howdy Back Robert:

YOU LUCKY DOG!!!!!! Can you get the intake manifold and exhaust manifold as well?

Enjoy.

Adios, David

:beer: :wow: well that's quite an interesting find! That would be a great score for your engine build, in a cast iron head that's the best there is for our small six'es. I have also tried to get one of them over the years and always missed out on them because when they turn up there usally gone quickly. Good luck (y) :nod:

We have come to terms on the 250 2v head. And my builder is going to upgrade to a mild performance cam, and hardened ex valve seat
using stock sized valves. Unfortunately, no manifolds come with it. Aussiespeed sells a 4v intake manifold, and Lynx sells a tri-carb intake. I understand that using the 4v intake requires cutting the shock tower, but relatively easy to tune a single carb. The tri-power intake takes me into an area I know very little about. For one, carbs for tri-power are $$$$. For two, I don't know if they will even fit. I'm committed to using a Scott Drake single outlet header, so that's a done deal. Weighing the pros and cons it seems like the 4v intake is the winner. If the only advantage of the tri-carb setup is the wow factor... I'll pass.
PS, anybody know where I can get Au 250 2v intake?

Robert92867":1amvi1es said:
We have come to terms on the 250 2v head. And my builder is going to upgrade to a mild performance cam, and hardened ex valve seat
using stock sized valves. Unfortunately, no manifolds come with it. Aussiespeed sells a 4v intake manifold, and Lynx sells a tri-carb intake. I understand that using the 4v intake requires cutting the shock tower, but relatively easy to tune a single carb. The tri-power intake takes me into an area I know very little about. For one, carbs for tri-power are $$$$. For two, I don't know if they will even fit. I'm committed to using a Scott Drake single outlet header, so that's a done deal. Weighing the pros and cons it seems like the 4v intake is the winner. If the only advantage of the tri-carb setup is the wow factor... I'll pass.

It also depends on the kind of wow factor too lol. Im getting ahold of 3 glass bowl 1904 holleys for my tripower 200. I got 2, just need 1 more glass bowl or a carb with the glass bowl.
But multi carbs do suck. The 4 bbl will be drivable. I dont mean to sound like a smart a** but you could call an australian auto wrecker to ship you an intake. Ive heard of people getying the heads here that way. Shipping will suck but it gets you an intake.
I swore Aussiespeed had a 2bbl intake. Aluminum and all but i may have thought i saw it.

Have fun man!
Ryan

"...anybody know where I can get Au 250 2v intake?."

http://www.aussiespeedshop.com/product- ... -cylinder/

pretty easy 2 take measurments & weld up something if havin equipment (or a friend w/some).

our "wanted forum"

our Oz forum (bring a thick skin, guys can B 'tough' over there, only place on da site I been 'beat up')

OZ fleebay

OZ ford6 on-line clubs

and more...

The C.I. / V. I. Aluminum head is based on the Aussie 2V head there is a good chance these new intakes can also fit so you might check with Matt about that. Good luck (y) :nod:

Hi Robert92867, mind if I ask what cam you decided on and what the final criteria was?

I'm currently building a stock .005"deck 200 lower with an Aussie 2v250 head, original intake and 350holley. I've measured and calculated a static compression ratio of 9.27:1

I took the low mileage cam(274/274 112lc) from another build and realize I'd at least want to get new lifters but now and questioning the cam spec altogether.

Cheers!

Robert92867":1qrhjw1c said:

Back