My Budget 250 build

Oops! I think everything is going to work out fine :roll:

19b7870e0d9a90d9ca773accbd0ceacf.jpg

At least I made two fairly equal stripes on the garage floor, that happened way easy and I didn't mean to do it :shock:

(I was turning the car around so those were left on the outgoing trip)

See Ya,
Mike

well that's a mistake, Mike.
U made that thing too powerful.
U will hafta give me that trip intake when U get done casting now.
U won't need that ol thing...
Glad da wife was not watchin (or had the camera again)...

:wow: Mike I think the Comets trying to tell you it's been cooped up for too long :rolflmao: so now it's just itching for some real action! :nod:

bubba22349":2zy3683o said:
I think the Comets trying to tell you it's been cooped up for too long

You may be right :D :LOL:

It is turning out to be a pretty impressive little car 8) itching to get it on the road.

See Ya,
Mike

This is bound to be good for another 10-12HP easy :p

I was able to fit one of the air cleaners off of the 170 but I needed a new filter element but couldn't find one locally so I picked this one up in town today and used the base off of the filter I had on there and fit this one over it. Now I can maybe take a bit more adventurous trip, my driveway is 1/2 mile long so maybe I can see if it make it to the highway and back.

See Ya,
Mike

baby steps 1st?
Get yer cam broke in?

lavron":1x1k30ss said:
This is bound to be good for another 10-12HP easy :p

I was able to fit one of the air cleaners off of the 170 but I needed a new filter element but couldn't find one locally so I picked this one up in town today and used the base off of the filter I had on there and fit this one over it. Now I can maybe take a bit more adventurous trip, my driveway is 1/2 mile long so maybe I can see if it make it to the highway and back.

See Ya,
Mike

Yes, the blue ones are with 7 HP, tops.

chad":1gqa5eff said:
Get yer cam broke in?

Yes, I did the cam break-in.

Soldmy66":1gqa5eff said:
Yes, the blue ones are with 7 HP, tops.

Everyone knows the red is hot & with chrome, BIG HP gains :rolflmao: :rolflmao:

Started the car at the end of the day today, with the choke hooked up she fires off good, I am really impressed.

See Ya,
Mike

Made a trip down to the highway and back, I think that I made it back complete. The drive/road is rough enough I can't go too fast and I live on a big hill, so going down was mostly a braking test :p I did give it enough coming back to get second gear for a minute but like I said it is rough enough I don't want to go too fast, still waiting on a pavement test.

I went by the muffler shop yesterday and talked to them, the guy that does exhaust is only there on Friday so I may try and load the Comet up next week and take it for him to look at. If I can get the mufflers hooked up I might try and get on the road for a mile or so and see how it does.

See Ya,
Mike

I was like a 1 man car show in town today :p Got a lot of surprised looks when they saw the engine, even more, when they heard it run :LOL: at least one guy said "I am guessing that isn't a stock motor."

See Ya,
Mike

:beer: Yes I bet it attracted some attention Mike, not many people have even seen one of these early Mercury Comets! (y) :nod:

xctasy":2c28le7w said:
Log Head..knocks them Dead. They cant handle the Truth of a few good men like yourself.

Yes the un-enlightened that think the only way to build a car is to stuff a V8 in there, I do admit it is probably the easy route (and cheaper most likely) but what fun is there in doing that :p

Seriously the reaction that I got was worth the effort 8) I think in the future when the Comet is "done" I can pull into a car show/cruise in and get way more attention than a guy who pulls in with a V8 he spent a mint on, not that that is my goal (mostly) I am just doing what I want and don't care what anyone else thinks.

bubba22349":2c28le7w said:
Yes I bet it attracted some attention Mike, not many people have even seen one of these early Mercury Comets!

I was telling a friend that back when I was daily driving the Comet 20+ years ago that I almost couldn't stop at a gas station without someone coming up and asking me about the car, almost no one knew what it was. One of the places I went Friday was the local Ford dealership, the owner was one of the first ones out there and least he asked if it was a '64 or '65 he has a rather large collection of classic Fords and hot rods, occasionally one is parked on the showroom floor and there are several sitting in a room just off of the service dept.

I guess when the Comet is on the road again I better plan extra time to get someplace and practice at opening the hood a lot :roll: :p :rolflmao:

See Ya,
Mike

Yes the un-enlightened that think the only way to build a car is to stuff a V8 in there..., ...I can pull into a car show/cruise in and get way more attention than a guy who pulls in with a V8 he spent a mint on, not that that is my goal (mostly) I am just doing what I want and don't care what anyone else thinks.

... The TYPE of interest that your car attracts will be different from Hi-Buck BBC' SS's glam-boys who just repeat Bowtie nonsense to each other. Fabricators, builders, car rescuers' and bewildered machinists often involve me in serious build specification descriptions - not how much glitter is in the BC/CC ...

have fun

'61 T'Bolt Six: Ford 250 Small Block Six Bored for TRW 258CID Pistons, Clifford Shot Peened Rods, Clifford 272H Cam, Cloyes timing set, Melling blueprinted HP oil pump, Offenhauser Tri-Power 3X1 aluminum intake manifold w/ Offy progressive linkage, Modified Holley 1904 series glass bowl carbs, GM HEI ignition trigger, Champion Racing spark plugs., Matte black/alum. 6=8 Clifford VC. SFI 157 neutral balance-light weight flywheel spinning Centerforce Stage II Clutch, T5-Z Cobra 5speed tranny, Short throw Hurst Indy shifter, 8” 3.80:1 TracLoc Posi rear, Shelby sway bar, "Caltrac" type traction devices Mustang front strut bars, Scarebird Disc front brakes, Fabricated subframe connectors and crossmembers, 8 Point Roll bar, 5 point Safety Belts, Mustang 5.0 alum. racing radiator, Perma-Cool electric pusher fan, Holley fuel pump/pressure regulator, Hooker 6602 dual out longtube headers, Smithy silencers, Original tube radio, vacuum wipers and front fender Gunsights…

Got the exhaust hooked up yesterday, because of the air ride and triangulated 4-link he was not able to get the pipes over the rear axle so he just did a pair of turn-downs in front of the axle.

I am not sure how much the 18" glass packs muffle but the sound is in the back now instead of right inside the engine bay, now I can hear a lifter making a little noise so I am going to try and get the motor warmed up some time and reset the lash on the valves. I also developed a problem where it won't stay running very long like it is running out of fuel, I think I may know what is going on, the fuel pump wiring is a little dodgy so I got a new connector to go on the pump, this time I bought real Delphi Weathertech plugs instead of knockoff ones, so far everywhere I have used those they have failed, hopefully, lesson learned on that :roll:

I gave it a quick test drive after the exhaust was installed just up the street and back, I was able to get 3rd gear so I made it up one more gear than the last time :p the car really feels good so far, I did have a little pop out of the carb between the two-three shift so I need to check the timing as well and maybe bring a little advance out of it.

See Ya,
Mike

gonluis":1nvhgbme said:
So how's the sound of your exhaust? Is it loud?

It sounds ok, better when revved up but I still haven't set the valves so that may change the way it runs a little, it is pretty loud still but at least the sound is to the back of the car.

My next project is to try and get the valve lash set properly, I am hoping that is part of the issue with it not running smoothly as it could plus I can hear a little valve train noise now, it seems to want a lot of advance to run and then there is the possibility of it popping through the carb, currently I have the timing mark sitting just above the top mark with the light (I think that top mark is 12 degrees BTDC)

See Ya,
Mike

Larger cams with increased valve overlap require more initial timing.
You may find that the engine wants more than 12 degrees initial.

Back