My Budget 250 build

bubba22349":3urdtg1b said:
if you want to spend a bit more and want them to last even longer than you could go with some Platinum's.

I got the Platinums in today and the wire set and for aesthetics only a black distributor cap.

Didn't do much today but start getting my motor mounts modified by adding a little more strength to them, I will get those welded hopefully tomorrow and finished up.

I need to jump in the engine bay while it is empty and cut my exhaust pipes off about 2" shorter and trim some on the shifter opening in the transmission tunnel so there is more clearance for the short-throw shifter. I got my shifter lever modified today as well and bolted it to the shifter.

Last week I got the oil pump, and pan installed, so most everything is back on the short block, I think as soon as I get the stuff done above I will be ready to drop the motor back in for the last time, after that happens I will get the ignition system assembled and installed.

I ordered a mock-up Vintage Air evaporator as well so I can make sure everything I am doing under the dash is not going to interfere, when I start doing the A/C install I won't post it here but over in the car build thread.

More check-marks every day.

See Ya,
Mike

Getting a little more done on the motor, I got my distributor in and close to the correct time I think, I will have to pull it back out so I can do the pre-lube but should be able to slide it right back in.
a1ce8cbe677335a2214879198d6b9085.jpg

I put the temp gauge port in and the oil pressure switch for the fuel pump, going all mechanical gauges so I should be able to just hook them up and temporarily mount them facing the engine bay for the cam break-in.

I need to gap the plugs so they are just in the holes finger tight (the head is not installed anyway just sitting on there)

Getting close on this!

See Ya,
Mike

waitin 2C what I can on that intake casting process...
:nod:

Motor, trans and driveshaft are installed, about time to tackle that intake project.

d6bb3f86b0724b7f187c958ec6df392e.jpg

Hopefully I won't be pulling anything back out except the head, I need to do the modifications on the intake and install the valve springs.

See Ya,
Mike

that block hada draft tube?
Looks like some frame extentions
made up? I C a lill lip there?
Good Luck as U go onto this
nxt step ! Thanks for sharin.

chad":33g0mm2s said:
that block hada draft tube?

No, where the draft tube is on the earlier engines is where the engine lift tab is, I took it off after setting the motor back in and put the bolts back in the holes so I wouldn't loose them incase I ever need to pull the motor again, I just didn't like the look of the bracket sticking up there and the rear one will hit the new intake.

chad":33g0mm2s said:
Looks like some frame extentions
made up? I C a lill lip there?

It is the metal plates wrapping around the original frame for the Mustang 2 install, I did make them from an old doublewide trailer tongue I had. :p

It is pretty cool having the complete running gear installed, I am ready to fill the transmission and hook the line up to the hydraulic clutch slave and get it filled, not sure yet if my push rod on the slave is pushing too hard against the pressure plate, it all fit in there snug and I am playing that one by ear because I never did that kind of thing before. I think the throw out bearing always rests on the clutch fingers, it kinda has too.

By the time I am finished with this car I can check a lot of stuff off of my "never have done before list"

See Ya,
Mike

:beer: Congrats Mike the engine sure looks great setting in the frame! How is the triple carb intake coming along? (y) :nod:

If interested I'd love it if I could geta tracing of both those 'lift eyes'.
Several have said here the'd sell me a set, a CAD, etc. Nothing has transpired.
I think I could make some up from something here if U sent that along.
Let me know what you think~

bubba22349":7ikgm172 said:
Congrats Mike the engine sure looks great setting in the frame! How is the triple carb intake coming along?

Thanks Bubba! I am getting ready to concentrate on the intake, mostly because I am running out of other things to do :roll:

chad":7ikgm172 said:
If interested I'd love it if I could geta tracing of both those 'lift eyes'.
Several have said here the'd sell me a set, a CAD, etc. Nothing has transpired.
I think I could make some up from something here if U sent that along.
Let me know what you think~

Chad PM me your mail address and I will just trace a set on some poster board and mail them to you with all the particulars like bends, metal thickness, etc.

See Ya,
Mike

UR great Mike thank you~
My email is below for any1's use

I ordered a clone Ford 1 barrel carb (Carter YFA?) off eBay today, going to put it on the Comet so I can try and get the car started.

I am more than little nervous about trying to start the car for the first time with the triple deuce setup and actually get it to run, I decided it was better to attempt a start it in basically a stock form, especially with all the other things I am doing on the motor, I know it won't run to peak performance by any means just needs to make 2500 RPMs for 20 minutes to get the cam broke in. It will be a good opportunity to start working out bugs as well while I work on the new intake. The only other expense I can think of doing this is having to replace the head gasket.

I am going to try and get some wiring/ignition done this week so I will be ready when the carb gets here next week.

See Ya,
Mike

The tension mounts, hit the starter and >>>>

Pre-lube oil pumped thru distributor shaft if possible. Initial startup of performance build is exciting, odds are some component may need tweaking before recommended static-cam / run-in can be considerd complete. Ensure sufficient guages are monitoring Oil/Cooling/Vac/elec. . Keep cooling carefully monitored, radiator can be flooded with hose if questionable .

Built 250 with an Offy 3X1 bbl adapter. On initial startup-cam/run-in (272 Cam) , I blocked the outer flanges and used a YF 1BBl. After initial road tests, added a 2BBl adapter to the center port and tried the H/W 5200 and then the 350CFM 7448 Holley 2300 series . Finally spent a long time getting three working vintage Holley 1904/s to run well on the Offy 3X1 setup to work together.

> THe YF was a good known runner off a Maverick 170 and fine for static fast idle cam run-in.

> Once on the road, the known good 5200 was smooth but not performance responsive.

> The 350 CFM was great on the temp' 2BBL adapter and delivered reponsive throttle from idle to WOT.

Test ran bunch of Holley 1Bbl's on my Falcon 170 until I had three that would run well independently - then used together on the Tri-Power

have fun

-

xctasy":1hkauk7i said:
Your reversion back to the YFA Carter knock -off is exactly like Frankenstang's

Not exactly a reversion just something to get the car started for the first time :p the triple set-up is still a go after I get the initial break-in done and check for any other issues.

powerband":1hkauk7i said:
Pre-lube oil pumped thru distributor shaft if possible. Initial startup of performance build is exciting, odds are some component may need tweaking before recommended static-cam / run-in can be considerd complete. Ensure sufficient guages are monitoring Oil/Cooling/Vac/elec. . Keep cooling carefully monitored, radiator can be flooded with hose if questionable .

Thanks for the tips, yes I am going to pre-lube I have a 200 pump shaft I can use, going to add break-in oil as well. I have a full set of mechanical gauges that will going in a customized dash cluster for the car that I will hook up and mount temporarily to face the engine bay.

Started getting the wiring harness built today, there certainly if a lot to do with that alone, just making a harness to run the car for now and will add all the extras later, the hard thing is not having everything I need and having to order stuff, that slows me down. I did get the ignition system wires almost finished up today so tomorrow or so I will build the coil/ICM mount that is going under the dash (behind the console)

Going to keep chipping away at it.

See Ya,
Mike

I got my break-in carb yesterday, I was wondering if anyone had a carb base they would be willing to sell, loan or rent to me? I have not found my original one yet and I am not sure how good it is but need one to be able to bolt the carb on.

e17d06ca18757d3936add06b70e4d0ff.jpg

I finally got my ignition system installed, I mounted it all on a slide out tray so I could easily change out the flux capacitor if/when it goes bad (you might call the flux capacitor a ICM or Ignition Control Module, but I know what it really is :roll: :p )

6eedf9fcc6a8664ecab381cee4cb0ce3.jpg

0b5b49687309efe4a0acf924bfd179f6.jpg

I still need to put some thermal grease under the flux capacitor and get my wires routed better.

Now I am up to collecting the last few odds and ends to get this started.

See Ya,
Mike

...crickets...
OK - I hoped to skip mine due to hood clearence but needed it, none w/the new motor.
Ya make the sand hot yet? Thats the build process I'd like 2 watch. :eek:

chad":2122jv4z said:
...crickets...

Well it is not like I really expected anyone to have one available but thought it was worth the asking, I will come up with something.

chad":2122jv4z said:
Ya make the sand hot yet?

No, I have been concentrating on getting to the first start/break-in so that means I have been building a wiring harness mostly :roll: Not the most fun thing to do in the world, not hard just tedious. I got the ignition system completed today and the wires routed, got all the wires run to the ignition switch plug, next I am going to concentrate on wiring the fuel pump system.

See Ya,
Mike

I like that color for the motor and it looks awesome in the car. Kind of dangerous looking. As if Darth Vader built it to power the Death Star.

chad":2fll1gox said:
https://www.vintageinlines.com/product- ... acer-6-cyl
only 1 I C, $55+S/H might B "Re: My Budget 250 build" ?

I think that one has too small a bore but not positive, a little more than I would like to pay as well for something temporary but I may have too :roll:

bmbm40":2fll1gox said:
I like that color for the motor and it looks awesome in the car. Kind of dangerous looking. As if Darth Vader built it to power the Death Star.

:p :p first time I have ever been compared to Darth Vader and I think the dark side is the V8 crowd :roll: maybe? I like the black and silver theme.

See Ya,
Mike

Back