60-80 GPH Mechanical Fuel Pump

Batman1458

Does anyone know if there is a mechanical fuel pump, for a 200cid engine that will produce 60-80GPH, with low pressure? I have a Weber 32/36 setup on my 66 Mustang, with a 200cid engine. I use a Holley pressure regulator and the carb runs great. When I step on it and open the second barrel, there is a flat spot. I suspect I am draining the bowl and my stock mechanical pump cannot keep up with the fuel demand.

I know the common answer is to install an electric fuel pump, but I am trying to avoid doing this. I have found mechanical pumps for V8's that would produce that GPH range, but nothing yet for a 200cid engine.

Any suggestions or references, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

FPM-008 Carter, direct bolt on. Use a return line to your tank, do away with the regulator.

s-l500.jpg

Suits 110 to 150 hp net.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuelmiser-Mecha ... 1952232305
"Fuelmiser Mechanical Fuel Pump, FPM-008 fits FORD AUSTRALIA FALCON 3.3 200ci"

Second option, 1966-1983fuel pump .Our engines weren't stranged by emissions gear, and gave net readings of 93 to 149 hp (130 to 170 hp gross)

FPM-000A pre 1982 Bendix made Carter A31223 non bleedback pump.
s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuelmiser-Mecha ... 2014302743

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72720&p=558913#p558913
xctasy":23f79t2s said:
Thanks bubba22349

I've got an Austrailian FPM-000A pre 1982 Bendix made Carter A31223 non bleedback pump off my 250 X-flow that I can bolt on, (Brand new Falcon / Cortina/Fairlane/LTD/Bronco/F100 fuel pump 79-82 XC,XD,TE,TF ) its a repairable item.

Its the normal replacement for 1968 to 1982 Aussie 188/200/221/250 log and 3.3/4.1 x-flow engines down here.

That was the year the new fuel return lineFPM-008 Carter got put on the Alloy Head II engines. It was just a special anti perculation top on the previous Carter A31223. .....

FPM-008FuelReturnlineCarterfuelpumpforFalcon_FairmontXE_XF33_41LiterXflowAlloyheadIIWeber34adm2bblengines.jpg

I love cross flow and Aussie gear, its really well engineered and nearly always repairable.

I Just don't like moving away from great, reliable US bits.

I've now got a Behr Cologne V6 radiator, a 1963 XM-1967 XR Falcon cylinder head, and now an 82 X-flow fuel pump.

Ok, its all FoMoCo, just German and Aussie Ford... :banghead:

Do the 1st 2 in the 1st 2 pics get mounted 'upside down' (from that displayed in these pic)?
while the rest "right side up" as depicted in the pic?

Thanks for the links, pic and details on mounting…

BTW: what if you use them in lower gpm applications?

chad":1zahszx7 said:
Do the 1st 2 in the 1st 2 pics get mounted 'upside down' (from that displayed in these pic)?
while the rest "right side up" as depicted in the pic?

Thanks for the links, pic and details on mounting…

BTW: what if you use them in lower gpm applications?

Anyway that fits. As stated in the link, you could mount em upside down if you needed to. Originally, though, they were AC style Glass bowl types.

Then went metal lid. Base 3.3' low compressions from 1976 to 1979 were just 102 hp engines.

xctasy":1zahszx7 said:
Took NZ$ 17 of brass Titon fittings and some Gates SAE 30R7 5/16 7.9 MM line but I got it fitted.

The thickness of the pump, the manner in which the casting is situated, and how the rocker lever is sprung and situated is different from the US Carter Hi Flow 0 2438 and the Aussie Carter A 31223.

The Aussie Carter has a samller kind of outlet fitting which places the whole outlet 3-1/4" lower and 1-3/4" closer to the engine, so I decided to Gates hose it with a Large Barb 5/16 on 1/8" nipple, and a female 2" tall, 5/16 thick 1/8" connector.

Then use the Aussie long bolts to suit the thicker Aussie casting, and user the Aussie gasket, which is upside down.

Like the casting.

Which is what you'd expect since it came from Australia...

1. USCarter HI FLOW 02438 D6DE6759 Left vs AUS Bendix Carter A31223

2.AUS Bendix Carter A31223 withTiton 5_16th by 1_8th Female Log Connector and Titon Large Barbed Nipple 1_8 by 2 inch

3.Where the US Carter 0 2438 # D6DE 6759 AB was with Old gasket still on it and the stock rear dip stick D8 200 Fox Fuel Pump Block Boss.

4.AUS 1967 XR Falcon fuel pump boss for Bendix Carter A31223, a front sump, front dipstick engine with the same boss as the US 200.

5.AUS XA Falcon 200 talldeck Fuel Pump Block Boss for Bendix Carter A31223 is sligthly different, and you can't fit the US Fox or Bronco fuel pump to it easily because the casting is patterned against the earlier upside down pattern.

6.1982 XD Alloy Head Fuel Pump Boss...same as 1968 XT to the last 1992 XF Falcon utility 4.1 engine.

7.US Carter 0 2438 at top and AUS Carter a 31223 at bottom showing rocker arm configuration differences

8.Same as 7 but in a different dircetion.

9.Much lower AUS Carter a 31223 left bottom showing rocker arm configuration and "upsidedown" casting

that's the only reason I said "up" or "down", the cam arm.
Seems the rounded over should go away from the cam, the flatter - toward the cam?

I kinda like the "carter/stromborg 'st/strip" but not sure it gives the OP his asked for GPM.
Replace the arm w/1 offa yourn oe (tired, busted, or just wish to up grade) pump.

chad":2v2ewnmt said:
that's the only reason I said "up" or "down", the cam arm.
Seems the rounded over should go away from the cam, the flatter - toward the cam?

I kinda like the "carter/stromborg 'st/strip" but not sure it gives the OP his asked for GPM.
Replace the arm w/1 offa yourn oe (tired, busted, or just wish to up grade) pump.

Yup put it upside down if you gotta. 4.9 Big Six runs the same pump upside down.

Its certainly less than 120 gallons per hour of flow at 9psi line pressure, which is what an upgraded pump runs. :rolflmao:

----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6F3TVzYbAs.

The arms are all that differ. As for flow rate, its okay for a stock 3.3 or 4.1. The 3.3 US Carter is also used on the 4.9 Bronco v8. Same flow rate...

xctasy":2v2ewnmt said:
I need a little help. Got out of the garage today, and noticed a fuel pump leak.

My 81 Fox Mustang runs a D6DE 6749 AB fuel pump, the return of the pre 1967 straight 6 Bronco style 170cid fuel pumps.

It leaks in the three positions arrowed

D6DE6749ABFuelpumpleak.jpg

Most of you guys know that the 1967 onwards pumps without the vaccum canister for windscreen wipers changed the rocker point from above to below the cam shaft, even though it was the same pump and block boss.

Same thing happened in 1976, Ford, like AMC I think, changed the way the fuel pump sat. The new Fox body's sat the engine right down low, and had to clear the new rack and pinion power steering unit, so to preempt it, Ford changed the pump orientation back to the 1966 system starting around 1976. All foxes run an engine mount stay which hits the 67-75 upside down pumps fuel inlet and outlet lines, and the Foxes ran ther engine mounts back about 4" from the stock X shell postion.

My pump looks just like the left hand pump (a 72 AMC 401 item), while the 1967-75's look like the later AMC 258 type.

Mine is leaking at the joint face, but mostly through the breather line below. I've heard these can be lead plugged, but often, the screws back out.

Is it just a screw that needs tightening up, or is the diaphrams shot, and I'm getting fuel in my oil as well as leaking out side?.

How do I repair it?

I could just go to a SBC Carter Super Strip fuel pump and fit the D6 DE 6749 AB arm like hasa68mustang post in http://classicinlines.com/fuelpump.asp, but I don't need 120 gallons per hour of flow at 9psi line pressure.

I'm mindfull that the 3.3 has gotten 33 years out of a stock FoMoCo pump, so it s okay to throw some bux at it, but that new replacements although only US$30, might not be as good

eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6F3TVzYbAs

Back