oil coming out of valve cover gasket

tdlund

I was finally able to take my falcon for a longer drive the other day. I found out that oil is coming out of the rear of the valve cover. I'm worried about over tightening the valve cover bolts. Should I keep tightening until it stops leaking? Also to let you know, I have a 170 with a T5 in a 61 Falcon. The tunnel wasn't wide enough to get the tranny high enough to level the engine. So that is why the oil is pooling in the back of the valve train and coming out the seal on the valve cover. What are you thoughts and opinions?

Don't keep tightening, that's what causes leaks.

Best bet is to take the cover off, make sure the gasket surface is FLAT - feel free to hammer it back flat if need be.

I don't know if a modern-type gasket is available, I rather doubt it.
But I've had really good service using "The Right Stuff" gasket material, it comes in a can, sticks TENACIOUSLY to whatever is touches, and seals really well. I've used it on V8 engines without a gasket, and it's worked great so far.

X2 make sure that the valve cover rails are straight. On gaskets I have had the best luck using a good quality Cork type gasket like FelPro etc. and glueing it to the valve cover then use with or without some silicone. With this method I can remove and replace the cover a couple times and the gasket will stay good. X2 don't over tighten use the factory specs. I have also used straight silicone too. Good luck :nod:

:unsure: Something else that you might want to try.I got tired of the leaks on my 300,and got some studs and NyLock(R) nuts for them.Guess what?No more leaks.Also,the VCG that I used was the FelPro neoprene (rubber)gasket.The NyLock nuts pretty much make a set and forget deal.Have had that setup installed fo 3 years now.Still no leaks.
Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Will those work on a Ford bill? That's a Chevy thing b/c of the goofy 4 bolt design of their valve covers.

Definitely, just have to use longer fasteners.

lay the VC on a truly flat surface...eye ball any dipsedoodles (highs & lows)...hammer flat w/a few gentle taps...
I got a true plain flat metal table that helps.
Use feldpro or other modern redily available gasket...Glue 1 side al la bubba's guidance!
Tighten to very low pressure (5 lbs) so as to not rewarp but still seal @ gasket.
Good Luck

(I'd B more concerned re: carb being level. No fuel starvation on exceleration, corners?).

I've used the "Right Stuff" pookie all by itself with no leaks. Wipe the sealing surfaces with carb cleaner or some such, and if done well you'll have a tough time getting the valve cover off, it's that tenacious.

I didn't run it hard so I didn't get a full reading on whether the carb was acting correct. When the car is sitting on a level surface, the carburetor looks level. I was planning on putting a little rake in the stance so that should help don't you think?

tdlund":2h6bgbnu said:
I didn't run it hard so I didn't get a full reading on whether the carb was acting correct. When the car is sitting on a level surface, the carburetor looks level. I was planning on putting a little rake in the stance so that should help don't you think?

IDK bud. At some point (3+ degrees? 4+ degrees?) it happens with many carbs. We off rd users gotta B more careful but I seen some put a 'wedge' under a st carb just cuza too much angle.

Back