Building My Aussie 250 2V

falconcritter

Supporter 2023
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
I got a Aussie 250 2V head and intake from a site member back in 2017 .. had the head rebuilt after getting it and only had too wait till the next year 2018 to get a good car for the right money , too drop it in ! Here it is 2020 and i would like too get this project going . My dilemma is ... 1) I have a C6 block , Crankshaft , Con Rods, and stock dished pistons disassembled with the machine work performed ( line bore , cyl bore , and balancing . i have no other parts than that . I have a double roller chain , Big rare cam . I was planning to load up in my truck and take to machine shop and see if they could get flat top pistons ,and other pieces of engine internals I don't have . I was going to post pics today and say lets do this ! But as i has trolling on the internet i found a guy down south of me with a short block already prepared ... 2) this guy has a C6 Shortblock , 40 over flat tops , jet-hot timing cover , double roller chain , crane cam 274 (He said it was a mild cam) with most all of the internals except the lifters ASSEMBLED . He says he knew MIke (AZ COUPE) and lived in Arizona near him . And got these parts from the inline classic site years ago . The engine has been siting never run for over ten plus years maybe. I asked him for any receipts from the machine shop or inline classics he does not have them . he wants $ 495. for the shortblock . What do you guys think ? Would the short block save me money ? Is 40 over too much to risk ? Should i just build on what i already have ? Critter

Without seeing receipts to verify what machine work was done, its hard to determine the value of an item. Assuming the parts were all new when he purchased them, then the cost of those parts would likely be close to the asking price he wants. But when it come to things like regrinding the crank vs. just polishing it, or reconditioning the rods vs. just a light clean up hone thru the big ends. Then that can also open the door as to the true state of the internal core pieces and what was done to actually recondition them. Also, line boring is rarely done and expensive, and is done to engines that are in bad condition such as spun main bearings, broken main caps or used and abused badly. And folks often misuse that term and confuse it with align honing, which is very common to have done. So, receipts would be helpful, but all in all it sounds like a fair price. Also find out if the block was magnafluxed for cracks. It wouldn't make sense to spend that kind of money to rebuild an engine if that wasn't part of the process as well. Good luck and let us know what you find out further!

If the engine is everything he says it is then it would for sure save you a lot of money plus save lots of time as you could finish assembly of it and install in the Falcon perrty quick. Those build specs are also very close to what you were planing with maybe the exception of the cam. Good luck (y) :nod:

there are folks on here that could verify a lill w/a name if you publiched it here.
Most of what U R going on is words. To get some idea on reliability I would ask "the Az crew" who might know this guy (not just something "on his say" ie "I knew Mike, etc, etc...").

If '\"going for it" let me know what U do w/the Oz 2v. I have a motor for it...

I am going too a sell parts at a swap meet in Sumter County Fl on June 7th . I am going too take a look for my self . This guy is only twenty minutes away from the swap meet . I itching to drop my Aussie in my 69 Falcon !

Power adder .... ? Supercharger , turbo , nitro .. ? Yes ? I don’t plan too . Just too get the aussie in is fine with me

Looks like some great parts has a billet double True roller Timing chain / gear set. and the flat tops. I would go for it. (y) :nod:

Looks good Critter. Make sure you turn the engine over. A fresh overbore & new rings will cause a lot more drag than an old engine.
You don't need the oil splash shield on the crank snout in front of the timing gear.

When assembling a short block I as well as many others will use a torque wrench to test how much break away torque is required to start to turn the engine over. This shows how much drag there is in rotating assembly. Good luck (y) :nod:

About 20 to 25 ft lbs Is great 30 to
35 is good if it takes over 45 to 50 is really tight :nod: Edited

falconcritter":3cwsdwo2 said:
I got a Aussie 250 2V head and intake from a site member back in 2017 .. had the head rebuilt after getting it and only had too wait till the next year 2018 to get a good car for the right money , too drop it in ! Here it is 2020 and i would like too get this project going . My dilemma is ... 1) I have a C6 block , Crankshaft , Con Rods, and stock dished pistons disassembled with the machine work performed ( line bore , cyl bore , and balancing . i have no other parts than that . I have a double roller chain , Big rare cam . I was planning to load up in my truck and take to machine shop and see if they could get flat top pistons ,and other pieces of engine internals I don't have . I was going to post pics today and say lets do this ! But as i has trolling on the internet i found a guy down south of me with a short block already prepared ... 2) this guy has a C6 Shortblock , 40 over flat tops , jet-hot timing cover , double roller chain , crane cam 274 (He said it was a mild cam) with most all of the internals except the lifters ASSEMBLED . He says he knew MIke (AZ COUPE) and lived in Arizona near him . And got these parts from the inline classic site years ago . The engine has been siting never run for over ten plus years maybe. I asked him for any receipts from the machine shop or inline classics he does not have them . he wants $ 495. for the shortblock . What do you guys think ? Would the short block save me money ? Is 40 over too much to risk ? Should i just build on what i already have ? Critter

Did you go check out the engine or buy it?

I had every intention too do so and to sell a bunch of 6 cyl , Aftermarket , and gas and oil collectibles at the Bushnel swap meet right around the corner from the guy with the engine. But ... after the "Very Lousy and Costly Week" both me and my wife had decided , not too tempt fate anymore than what has happened already . I have too wait too see how the current outcome of our situation plays out before I can spend money we have saved up. I am hoping it will still be there when I can go and get it.

falconcritter":13e4zss1 said:
I had every intention too do so and to sell a bunch of 6 cyl , Aftermarket , and gas and oil collectibles at the Bushnel swap meet right around the corner from the guy with the engine. But ... after the "Very Lousy and Costly Week" both me and my wife had decided , not too tempt fate anymore than what has happened already . I have too wait too see how the current outcome of our situation plays out before I can spend money we have saved up. I am hoping it will still be there when I can go and get it.

Ok, hope all is well. I was considering buying it as well, but I think I am going to go forward with the built 250 I picked up. Good luck and I hope it is there if/when you decide to go for it!

-Shawn

Back