Wisconsin Re-build shop???

LeonBlank

Hey guys,
Looks like my search lead me to zero engine shops to give my '63 223 a solid once over (rings, valves, etc). I am willing to travel a bit from southeastern WI to find a place. My 223 is burning the dinosour syrup but still purrrrs great.

You guys know of any?

Thanks a million!

You can use some heavier Weight Oil in it to seal it up some. How far would you travel? I know a really good place near me.

I was able to get a good place to check out in Illinois called FX Engines that if it needs new pistons and rings they will do it with only a 8 week or so lead time.

Where are you located? I am in southeastern Wisconsin

Last edited:
I am in Flagstaff AZ. that's probably a bit far for you. Glad you found a good place.

Hey guys,
My 223 is burning the dinosour syrup but still purrrrs great.
Since it's running good, if you are inclined to buy some time before a major overhaul and reduce some or most of your oil consumption, you could add umbrella valve guide seals, it may help quite a bit. Many of the pre-unleaded era engines suffered from oil consumption thru the valves when the lead was removed. . .
Before going into the valve cover, a compression test would determine if the rings are weak and adding to the oil consumption. If compression test shows good cylinder sealing, then the valves are the source of the oil consumption. .

Dropped off engine at FX Engines in Illinois. They found the following;
Cracked head - fixable
Worn out valve seats- beyond repair.
Found a replacement head locally and sent it down there.

Someone honed the cylinders 10k over and just put new rings in....no good.
The crankcase was not breathing correct. Sealed oil fill cap and only a "chimney" with a filter on it from the draft tube location.

Since the block and crank are all checked for cracks and machined....we can now start making a shopping list for pistons valve guides etc.
A proper PCV will be made to get this all updated.

Back