Tornado 230 questions?

Strange_Brew

I've got a 230 tornado that I want to use for a "project". My first question is, does anyone know where I could get one of the later indivdual port heads here in the states?? My other question is if I can't get the better head, how would two side drafts work on the head configuration on it. "there are two intake openings into a cast in shared intake manifold?? Any ideas or suggestions, fire away, I'm all ears!! :shock:

Please forgive my terrible ignorance---but ive never heard of a tornado. what is that out of? by that i mean who produced it? im always up for learning something so any thing you know and are willing to share would be great.

The Tornado stayed in production, (and was vastly improved) down in Argentina. Many performance upgrades are avalible for it & 300hp is not hard to get out of this engine.

There was a thread here about 2 yrs ago that provided details and web links. Look at lines 23 & 24 of this page. Lots of good stuff there.

PS, It.s a real Hemi!

'61 Draggin Wagon":2l178ovb said:
So, has anyone found a source for the South American version, here in the States?
I'd be interested in one or two.

It does sound like an interesting engine, but I tend to doubt there would be enough of a market for these engines to justify the effort and expense required to import the engines and stocks of needed spare parts from Argentina to the US.

You might need to find somebody who speaks Spanish and who can use the Internet to locate a company in Argentina which rebuilds these engines and which would be willing to ship a complete engine and all required accessories and supplies to the US.

Be aware that there will be customs issues, and possibly import duties to contend with and that the shipping cost will be quite high.

Depending on the actual year of the engine you might also have EPA emissions related problems, as well. The most desirable engines are clearly the ones after the redesign of the engine in 1973 which switched it from 4 to 7 main bearings, and by that time the US had begun to implement emissions related laws for automobiles.

Frankly, as interesting as this engine would be, I strongly suspect that you might be better off looking for something sourced closer to home.

The Kaiser Jeep M715/ 724/ 725 is an American wheeled military vehicle based upon the civilian Jeep Gladiator. In 1965 the design and developing for the M715 began. The U.S. Government purchased these trucks to replace the M37. Between 1967 and 1969 over 33,000 trucks were produced at the Toledo, Ohio plant. The overhead cam 6 cyl engines were not very reliable due to lack of knowledge on the overhead cam design and lack of maintenance. They had been dropped from civilian models by 1968. The trucks were replaced by the Dodge M880 series

img_1243.jpg

stockwithtrailer15.jpg

Last edited:
The two port intake on US built engines is a BMC Cseries style log head. The designer work with Donald Healy and his influences were BMC.

s-l1600.jpg

The bore spacing's are the smaller ex Continental type, way less than the 4.375" AMC/Jeep L6;

The 226 Continental engine was its shared ancestor. The seven bearing Nash Ambassador engine was made on a much larger bore spacing (4.375), so nothing interchanges.

IMHO,
Best bet is to buy a spare head, and cut individual siamesed ports like the like the Argentine ones

41564-f3f889c15fc66b76369967e31125a09e.jpg

Last edited:
Wow xctasy, your pictures bring back lots of old memories I drove and maintained one of those old military Jeep trucks for many a mile or should I say Kilometers while I was based over in Germany. The Army called them a 5 quarter too I think mine was a 1968 but that was many years ago and I could be off a year or so.

For the Original Poster, here is the IKA Torino head independent runner intake sequencing, 1973 to 1982 spec

D_NQ_NP_2X_954317-MLA40044080607_122019-F.webp

"https://http2.mlstatic.com/D_NQ_NP_2X_954317-MLA40044080607_122019-F.webp"

The bore spacings and those of the triple DCOE 45 intake they use, line up. The Continental based engine has bore centers similar to the early Chrylser flat head six.

Alvaro-Pinzon-Marathon-de-la-Route-Torinos-27-2000x1335.jpg

''https://d39a3h63xew422.cloudfront.n...Marathon-de-la-Route-Torinos-27-2000x1335.jpg"

D_NQ_NP_2X_806100-MLA47386433137_092021-F.webp

"https://http2.mlstatic.com/D_NQ_NP_2X_806100-MLA47386433137_092021-F.webp"

edit_20181116_111428.jpg

"https://arsareman.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/edit_20181116_111428.jpg"

Last edited:
You wouldn't happen to have an end-on photo of a cam lobe from the earlier series of engines, where a single lobe tickled both intake AND exhaust rockers?

I do have a mental M.C. Escher-esque pitcher of what a lobe had to look like...o_O

Eddie

You wouldn't happen to have an end-on photo of a cam lobe from the earlier series of engines, where a single lobe tickled both intake AND exhaust rockers?

I do have a mental M.C. Escher-esque pitcher of what a lobe had to look like...o_O

Eddie

Pretty simple lobe shape, with the rocker pads being set apart by what would be LSA on a regular setup.
full

1963-Jeep-Wagoneer-22.jpg

My wee flathead reel mower REO has a uni-lobe and double underhead rocker pieces. It has inspired a 4v crossflow flathead project...
p7031655.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty simple lobe shape, with the rocker pads being set apart by what would be LSA on a regular setup.
full
Thanks! (More Dali than Escher, tho...)
The two port intake on US built engines is a BMC Cseries style log head. The designer work with Donald Healy and his influences were BMC.
Thanks for the memory-jog! I love putting historical threads together. And now, for my latest delusion:

I'd noticed in pics that the Austin-Healey 100-6 dual SU's, the Nash-Healey's dual sidedraft 1-barrel carburetors (Carter YF...I think...:unsure:), and the Tornado 230 that the heads all had that cast-in log manifold with the odd carb port spacing.

I'd read (in Healeys and Austin-Healeys [Peter Browning]) that Tornado head designer A. C. Sampietro had worked for Donald Healey, designer of the Nash-Healey and the Healey 100 sports car, the prototype of which was promptly bought by BMC on its first public showing...with the Healey organization hired as BMC consultants, which would mean Sampietro worked with BMC developing the "C"-series 6-cylinder engine variant that eventually made its way into the 100.

And slightly earlier in the same time frame the Healey organization had developed the Nash-Healey, Sampietro the common thread though all three engine designs:nod:

Hidden in plain sight. My kids know that process well: "Put it out in plain sight, Dad will never see it..."

Eddie

Last edited:
Back