Torino Wagon Turbo 250 build

Since you have a generic "HEI" the myriad of GM weights, springs, vacuum advance pieces.
GM HEI center plates & weights - mechanical advance | Chevy Nova Forum (stevesnovasite.com) etc
crn-210g2.pdf (summitracing.com)
Plotting the whole curve is a good plan. I usually use GM weights and a Mr Gasket advance kit, one soft, one medium.

And, the cheapest boost-retard that I know of is the 5-pin module from an early 80's unit. It takes 10 degrees of timing out when the 5th pin is grounded* Some other modules require voltage. Either way, a cheap 3-5 PSI, normally open pressure switch completes it.
More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS LX331 (rockauto.com)

Almost another year gone by and this project is still in the works. The wagon is my daily driver and I've been putting some miles on it for sure. The engine is showing signs of being worn out. Hard on the gas for an extended time = oil smoke out the exhaust. Pushing it on the freeway cruising 70-80 for an extended time ends up with valve train rattling like a solid cam would (like my gt with a 351c and a solid roller with a pretty big lash setting). I don't think it would like much boost in it's current state.

Next on the priority list is to take the 250 out of the falcon wagon, rebuild it, finish the turbo setup, and put it into the torino wagon.

I don't see any problem taking your time on finishing this build. Will you do tire mounting since winter is coming? The progress looks great. Keep us posted with the updates.

Last edited:

Wayne clark: I plan on a similar install on my 69 Ranchero 250 auto useing the drawthru off a 78 Regal sport coupe I have.

... caught comment on a Draw-Thru Buick derived turbo on a 250 , Discussions on practical Forced Induction performance fabrication adds to confidence in attempting a project. Hope to see a separate discussion thread on Draw-Thru project. I used 'simple' Buick/Olds/Pontiac Draw-thru Carbd' turbo setup on '74 Maverick 250. Performance increase was substantial but too much enthusiasm caused tired piston ring lands to crack off above 1 Bar of boost. Project veered off into the current 2bbl Blow-thru when a Vortech Supercharger became available to me...

BOP (81 Regal) 231 V6 Draw-Thru T3 Turbo / Unique Quadrajet 4Bbl (950 CFM at WOT Boost-low CFM off boost./ Fabricated adaptor to Log intake.

. .

. .

. . .

have fun

(I might be interested in passing forward the BOP turbo setup - Machined Adaptor /T3 turbo & spares / 2 Unique Turbo Q'jet carbs / Fabbed Xhaust w/sensor bung / related support hdwe. - PM if interested)

No tire changes for winter here, I'm in a fairly mild climate. We get a decent amount of rain and only rarely freezing temperatures. I'm still driving it daily around town as it is fun to drive.

I thought about going draw through. One of my primary goals it to keep it under the stock hood and that seems more difficult. I have the turbo already and it isn't setup for it.

I've bought a used holley two barrel on ebay and a boost reference power valve. Working on cleaning it up and getting it set up to swap in. I'll post more details as I get to it.

The last thing done on the wagon recently is a wheel bearing. Got my son helping me and it made quite a mess.
236964737_10159328493043350_3640198701933803214_n.jpg

Mechanical fuel pump went out on my GT when I was trying to get it running. Gave me a chance to test the electric pump and dead head rising regulator. It is working well so far, pressure went up when putting air pressure into the regulator.

This project is still in the works. 2022 has been quite a year. My fiance got covid, then I did, and an especially hot summer kept me away from it. The frontend has been clunking and loose since I bought it. Currently in the middle of a front end rebuild and power disc brake swap.

311128902_10160027237588350_8092613447958455261_n.jpg

Almost back on the road. After a bunch of attempts at flaring the brake lines I finally have flares that I am happy with. This side is back together and the spring went back in with a new urethane bushing on top.
313019061_10160079378873350_9088060127709684677_n.jpg

Passenger side went quickly until I found this upper control arm in bad shape. Ordered a new MOOG one and got it put on. Cut and flared the steel line without having to add a section like in the last picture. On vacation this week, trying to get it back onto the road before the rainy season gets going.

314153820_10160096294513350_7359928841877599158_n.jpg

Did you do the Shelby/Arning drop on the front while you had it apart?
No, keeping stock suspension. Mainly because I did not think of it before having it mostly together now. The only upgrade is changing from manual drums to power disc in the front, keeping drum in the rear. It was ok enough driving around before but would chew through tires because of the worn out parts. Getting back to at least as good as stock is good for me.

Last edited:
So after November we had floods, mudslides, power outages. Finally stopped raining this month and made progress. New suspension and power disc brakes are working out well. Got it back together last week, drove 500 miles over the weekend and it is like a new car.

On the turbo side, progress is being made. I've added an evil energy 15 row oil cooler. As a bonus, the sandwich adapter has two 1/4" npt fittings that I I could tap for the turbo oil and add a digital oil pressure gauge. I need to get moving on mocking it up and parting out the donor falcon afterwards. It was only supposed to stay for a few months and now it's been a few years!

349081142_995708128100854_8709346889129536702_n.jpg

Back to working on the engine, tracking down some excess blowby. Did a compression test today, cleaned any oil leaks off, and the results are not great. 1 2 3 4 and 6 are 155-160. 5 is 60. I don't have a leakdown tester per se but I can hook my air compressor up to the spark plug hole and hopefully hear where it is leaking to.

Wayne clark: I plan on a similar install on my 69 Ranchero 250 auto useing the drawthru off a 78 Regal sport coupe I have.

... caught comment on a Draw-Thru Buick derived turbo on a 250 , Discussions on practical Forced Induction performance fabrication adds to confidence in attempting a project. Hope to see a separate discussion thread on Draw-Thru project. I used 'simple' Buick/Olds/Pontiac Draw-thru Carbd' turbo setup on '74 Maverick 250. Performance increase was substantial but too much enthusiasm caused tired piston ring lands to crack off above 1 Bar of boost. Project veered off into the current 2bbl Blow-thru when a Vortech Supercharger became available to me...

BOP (81 Regal) 231 V6 Draw-Thru T3 Turbo / Unique Quadrajet 4Bbl (950 CFM at WOT Boost-low CFM off boost./ Fabricated adaptor to Log intake.

. .

. .

. . .

have fun

(I might be interested in passing forward the BOP turbo setup - Machined Adaptor /T3 turbo & spares / 2 Unique Turbo Q'jet carbs / Fabbed Xhaust w/sensor bung / related support hdwe. - PM if interested)
I just seen your post ,& thought I would reply . Finally purchased a set of mounts from Ron Bryer to put the 250 in my 67 .

I actually veered off on another tangent as i purchased a Paxton supercharger last month . Been working on purchasing the mounting hardware kit the last 2/3 weeks but so far i don't have a purchase .
There is more power to be had with a Turbo but it comes with a lot of problems . The Paxton should keep the boost low enough I don't break stuff .

With the parts I have on hand to use I should have plenty of power . After all how fast does an old guy really need to go?

I did think of doing a supercharger but the cost and mounting seemed a bit difficult. I've got a power steering pump, hoping to add an a/c compressor, squeezing in another thing might be too tight.

For now I'm looking into the problem with the compression. It's drivable as it is but I need to sort it out before trying to get the turbo. In the meantime I'm cutting the old exhaust off the donor and will be mocking up the turbo mounting.

I get the running out of room thing . In my Mustang it happened quick . I did put a manual Rack on with a EPS mounted under the hood on the end of the tilt column . I was saveing that driver side on the eng for an ac but I gave it up for the paxton .

Cool project. I would go with a non electronic AOD. It gives you an over drive so even with low gears such as 4.11 you ca cruise on the highway 2.9

Cool project. I would go with a non electronic AOD. It gives you an over drive so even with low gears such as 4.11 you ca cruise on the highway 2.9
Thanks! Donor wagon has one and it is going to be swapped in as soon as I can get it out. My torino gt has a T5 and 3.93 and cruises great. The goal for this to be a good daily driver car that I want to have some power. Haul a bunch of stuff in the back, go over some of the steeper hills on the highway without dropping below 65, and be something I can hop in and drive whenever I need.

Now that the it is back on the road and the weather supposedly is going to stay nice I am going to make some fast progress. Mockup the exhaust and turbo mounting, figure out how to put an oil drain for the turbo while the engine is in the car, and take the engine and trans out of the donor. In parallel I'm investigating how to best fix the compression problem. I'm getting a head that should be usable with little work so if it is the valves then it wont be too bad. If the cylinder has a problem then the turbo drain will be the least of my problems.

I just seen your post ,& thought I would reply . Finally purchased a set of mounts from Ron Bryer to put the 250 in my 67 .

I actually veered off on another tangent as i purchased a Paxton supercharger last month . Been working on purchasing the mounting hardware kit the last 2/3 weeks but so far i don't have a purchase .
There is more power to be had with a Turbo but it comes with a lot of problems . The Paxton should keep the boost low enough I don't break stuff .

With the parts I have on hand to use I should have plenty of power . After all how fast does an old guy really need to go?
Sounds like considerable progress. Whom is Ron Bryer?

Thanks to another local member I have a new head with decent sealing valves and cut for 2V. This week I'm going to swap it along with a cam. I haven't had a chance to do the leakdown test but if the cylinder has a problem it should be obvious with the head off.353665948_10160573021793350_5010054460015422320_n.jpg

Back