Steering center link question

Stryker7314

Anyone know if the steering center link can be swapped to be inserted from the bottom to provide clearance for the starter?

IMG_20220115_121554.jpgIMG_20220115_121557.jpg

powerband

2K+
VIP
... responding to the PM, figured make it general post:

Yes, the center link on early SIX cars can be 'flipped' as per the Schehldal (sp:censored: )bros' Opus ' - "The Ford Falcon Six Performance Handbook"

As per the 'Handbook, the '61 with a 250, I had re-bored pitman arm and idler arm to enable 'flipping' the early center link for more clearance for the starter and long tube Hooker headers.

Later upgrade to '65 V8 steering links and later spindles (Maverick 4 lug) on the 61, eliminates the clearance problem., also switched to a PMGR starter for more header clearance... .

'61 early steering with flipped CL
. . . .

Last edited:

Stryker7314

... responding to the PM, figured make it general post:

Yes, the center link on early SIX cars can be 'flipped' as per the Schehldal (sp:censored: )bros' Opus ' - "The Ford Falcon Six Performance Handbook"

As per the 'Handbook, the '61 with a 250, I had re-bored pitman arm and idler arm to enable 'flipping' the early center link for more clearance for the starter and long tube Hooker headers.

Later upgrade to '65 V8 steering links and later spindles (Maverick 4 lug) on the 61, eliminates the clearance problem., also switched to a PMGR starter for more header clearance... .

'61 early steering with flipped CL
. . . .

Excellent thank you! I decided to first try a different starter on the T-5, going to try Powermaster 9503 XS Mini which is supposed to provide much more clearance, wish me luck.

powerband

2K+
VIP
PMGR starter probably would be simplest solution.

pics of 'flipped' center link and PMGR starter:

... later 'V8 ' steering has outer tie rods from the center link and set lower ;