picture of a 223 original

Hi to everybody :)

i have a question: i own a ford fairlane 500 Town Victoria sold new in italy in 58
when i buyed in 87 i chromed the valve cover, the carter of distribution and the air filter.
i woul like to know which color had the engine in 1958.
i never found a picture of the engine original
everybody do as they like.

anybody has a picture detailed of the engine maybe coming from a brochure?
thanks to everybody for any kind of reply :)

Attachments

• fairlane in galleria.jpg
    fairlane in galleria.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi and a big welcome to the Ford Six Forum, "fairlane58 in Italy"! The 1957 to 1964 Ford 223 engine Block's and Head's were painted in Black along with all the engine accessories and their mounting brackets, I.E. the Generator, Starter, plus the Oil Pan, Timing Cover, were also Black. It was Fords practice to paint their Engine Blocks and Heads in fully assembled "Long Blocks" including all their mounting bolts in that same Black color.

The Air Cleaner, Fan, the Valve Cover, and possibly the Tin Side Cover (for the Valve Lifters) were all Painted in the Ford Red. These parts were all painted off the engine and then assembled afterwards with their bolts left in a Natural Steel finish (not Plated). Attached below is a picture of a 223 Six showing a very close example of these engines colors, I only take exception of the two top Valve Cover Acorn bolts and flat washers I don't think they should be painted in black, also if your wanted to do an actual Factory Type Restoration of the engine compartment then the newer Stainless Steel Worm Type Hose Clamps are also not correct, or the Battery (was a Ford Script Battery) and it's Hold Down Bracket and bolts are generic replacements. Best of luck. Edited with some additional info.

Last edited:
Hi and a big welcome to the Ford Six Forum, "fairlane58 in Italy"! The 1957 to 1964 Ford 223 engine Block's and Head's were painted in Black along with all the engine accessories and their mounting brackets, I.E. the Generator, Starter, plus the Oil Pan, Timing Cover, were also Black. It was Fords practice to paint their Engine Blocks and Heads in fully assembled "Long Blocks" including all their mounting bolts in that same Black color.

The Air Cleaner, Fan, the Valve Cover, and possibly the Tin Side Cover (for the Valve Lifters) were all Painted in the Ford Red. These parts were all painted off the engine and then assembled afterwards with their bolts left in a Natural Steel finish (not Plated). Attached below is a picture of a 223 Six showing a very close example of these engines colors, I only take exception of the two top Valve Cover Acorn bolts and flat washers I don't think they should be painted in black, also if your wanted to do an actual Factory Type Restoration of the engine compartment then the newer Stainless Steel Worm Type Hose Clamps are also not correct, or the Battery (was a Ford Script Battery) and it's Hold Down Bracket and bolts are generic replacements. Best of luck. Edited with some additional info.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._-_RJ_14_UB_933_-_Kolkata_2014-01-19_5899.JPG
Hi,
many thanks for your reply.
i'd never seen this combinations of colors.
i painted the engine in red because was the only thing i was sure was correct (and i was wrong)
the air filter cover in this picture is closed instead of mine that is open
do you think mine miss a part?

Attachments

• IMG_3741.jpg
    IMG_3741.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
No That is the correct Air Cleaner that both the 1957 and 1958 Ford Cars used the above picture is really for a 1959 Ford Car but it was the only one I had handy to show the factory engine colors. Over the years I had several of the 1957 & 1958 Ford Cars, 57 Tudor Station Wagon, a 58 Fordor Station Wagon with a 352 V8 a 58 Fairlane 500 Hard Top loaded with all the options and a 352 V8, and a 58 Ranchero one of my favorites with a 292 V8 and then swapped to a 352 Police Interceptor. I also was taking care of tune up and repair maintenance of my brother in-laws 1958 Ranchero with 223 Six his had that exact same Air Cleaner as yours. Edited

mine is like this one the filter is exposed at the air
No That is the correct Air Cleaner that both the 1957 and 1958 Ford Cars used the above picture is for a 1959 Ford Car it was the only one I had handy. I had several of the 1958 Ford Cars, a Station Wagon with a 352 V8 a Fairlane 500 Hard Top with a 352 V8, and a Ranchero with a 292 V8 as well as also taking care of malignance of my brother in-laws 1958 Ranchero with 223 Six his had that exact same Air Cleaner as yours.
No That is the correct Air Cleaner that both the 1957 and 1958 Ford Cars used the above picture is for a 1959 Ford Car it was the only one I had handy. I had several of the 1958 Ford Cars, a Station Wagon with a 352 V8 a Fairlane 500 Hard Top with a 352 V8, and a Ranchero with a 292 V8 as well as also taking care of malignance of my brother in-laws 1958 Ranchero with 223 Six his had that exact same Air Cleaner as yours.
Many thanks again, was a pleasure to talk with you.

Attachments

• IMG_8561.jpg
    IMG_8561.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
Back