Installing a Classic Inlines Aluminum Head - Noob Questions

John Ha

Supporter 2022
Supporter 2023
In 2015 I bought an assembled head with the single valve springs w/dampener. It's been on my shelf waiting for me to get up the courage to put it on my mostly stock 250. The engine is from a 73 Maverick and currently sits in my 66 Mustang.

Is this head install just a simple remove and replace operation?

I assume that the rocker shaft assembly on the iron head goes onto the aluminum head and I'll have to put the studs in the block for the new head but do I need to worry about pushrod lengths or doing anything else (other than a new head gasket) before I plop the new head on the block?

Thanks!

Hi John, yes the head is mostly just a simple remove and replace operation, with the exception of now having a removeable intake manifold and it's few different parts. As far as the push rods they will be determined by the type rocker arms that you use (non adjustable or adjustable and or if they are a roller type) so if you use the same rocker arms that you have now than your current push rods they should be right. That said its still a good idea to check the lenght of the push rods that are needed with a adjustable push Rod, checking so that the rocker arm travel is over the center of the valve stem. Ie make a center mark on the valve stem and watch the rocker arms travel during its valve lift and closing. The one thing that is also different is if using the FE type oil through Hydrolic or solid lifters or also the Yella Terella Rocker arm assembly then the blocks rear oil feed passage to the rocker assembly gets plugged and you then use the oil through push rods. Hope that answers your questions, best of luck on your head install it should make a big difference.

Back