All Small Six How do you degree a camshaft?

This relates to all small sixes

Robert92867

Supporter 2019
Is there an adjustable timing gear set I can buy? My engine is a '66 200 with Au 250 200 head mated to a C4. See the spec sheet below for the installed cam. I want a mild cam suited to an automatic.

Attachments

• IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1531.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1532.JPG
    IMG_1532.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1533.JPG
    IMG_1533.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1534.JPG
    IMG_1534.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • clay smith cam 274 specs.jpg
    clay smith cam 274 specs.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 14
On your question of how do you degree a camshaft it's very easy while your assembling your short block. You will need a few tools, a Degree Wheel, a homemade wire pointer, a solid lifter or you can stack washers or a spacer into an old Hydrolic lifter, a 1 inch travel dial indicator, and a magnetic dial indicator base, to use for this operation. For a really good video going over the Degreeing Process on a Ford 200 Six Short Block check out site member "echo1955" excellent video here is the link. He also did a whole video series on the compleate rebuild on his Mustang 200 six mild performance build up.

Yes there are adjustable timing gear / chain sets available for use in the Ford 170 & 200 six's, see below link for info. Best of luck on you Mustang build.

Billet Duel Roller Adjustable Timing Chain & Gear Set

Is there an adjustable timing gear set I can buy? My engine is a '66 200 with Au 250 200 head mated to a C4. See the spec sheet below for the installed cam. I want a mild cam suited to an automatic.
X2 on Bubba's link for degreeing.
I would recommend flat top pistons to get your compression ratio over 10-1. I do not like the 274 clay smith cam. I would call Jerry @ Schneider Cams. Since your intake flows great, the exhaust does not. I would go with a dual patter cam, will more duration on the exhaust side. You might benefit with a loose torque converter especially with the C-4.
I had a 274 & the cam was not a good choice. I ran it for a month & then pulled it out.

Last edited:
Hi, as Bubba pointed out, Echo explains one simple way to degree your cam.
When I assembled my engine I stuffed a big long bolt, maybe 5/8 by 4" long into an old hydraulic lifter. I wanted the dial indicator to read directly off the top of the bolt, above the deck surface. It is important the dial indicator and lifter are in straight alignment.
I just want to make sure you put the wedding ring spacer on the front of the cam. Some guys forget about it and then the cam will walk back and forth.
Good luck

Back