Holley Sniper on VI / CI head

Freddy

Was wondering if anyone here has installed a sniper EFI system on the aluminum head? I have just done so with the 2300 sniper on the 200 in my Falcon and although it is running pretty good, I do have a few tuning issues that I believe are related to the huge plenum of the intake manifold. For example, when I accelerate hard, it initially goes rich, but then almost immediately goes super lean. Just wondering if there is anyone here who has successfully tuned a similar setup.

I know of one of our site members "Wanye Clark" that did a Holley Sniper 2300 install on both the stock log head and then transfered the 2300 EFI over onto his V. I. Aluminum head. I would recommend that you read about both of those installs to see what he learned about setting up the Sniper 2300. Here is one of his posts on it. You might also try to contact him about the info on his install. Good luck on your project car. Edited

[Quote by Wayne Clark] "
Hi all. I know this post is an old one but thought I would reply any way.

I have a 67 Mustang vert 200/c4. At this time I'm running a 2300 Holley Sniper on a small log head thru a 1x2 adaptor. I have a 3 into 1 split header with 2 1/4" dual exhaust. It has a msd 6al ign box ( not useing it for timing control) & a dura spark dist.i put a Holley intank EFI fuel pump on it( the supplied fuel pump in the kit is a pain in the a##)

The Sniper install,setup & startup was extremelly easy, except all the extra stuff that it took to make everything fit & work. Initially I installed the supplied o2 bung on a 67 stock small downpipe, that was a mistake. When the header & duals went on I welded a bung in one pipe. Worked great until the supplied header gasket burnt thru in the # 3 & 4 port . Installed a remflex header gasket from summit, its held up ok so far.

To summarize the car starts instantly, idles smooth ,has more power overall. With each of the exhaust leaks the sniper went absolutley stupid, dumping gas in the motor. With each fix of the leaks it self learns again.
With everything else I have going on since I retired I don't stay on it or drive it as much as I would like too. At some point during the stupid phases when it was dumping all that gas ,it started haveing periods of shooting gas out of some of the many holes around the butterflys, for the most part that has stopped. I have tried calling the Holley Tech line to talk to somebody about that but have found it impossible to get anyone on the phone for months. Looks like they would hire somebody to help the 1 guy they appear to have.

So I would say to some one who has a 6 cyl Ford ( especially a small six) if you want the most bang for your buck upgrade your ignition system & put a sniper on it.(or possibly another brand) Weld the 02 bung in . I can't speak about the new one barrel they have but the 2 barrel is great on the small six even if everything else is stock. Follow all their install instructions as they say & its great."

The Money Pit Holley 2300 Sniper EFI install on the stock log head. https://fordsix.com/threads/couple-...-pit-my-67-vert-200-6-with-2300-sniper.81745/

This is a link to his V. I. Aluminum head install that he did later. https://fordsix.com/threads/classic-inline-head-install.82267/#post-645238

Hi Freddy,
I have a VI head and 2300 Sniper. I recommend making sure you have absolutely no exhaust leaks and the sniper distributor. Having the Sniper control timing is a must. Your problem you have described sounds like a fuel table issue. Did you create your own fuel table on the computer based software or just through the sniper wizard on the hand held.
I have two setups as I have a paxton super charger installed. I have a few small tuning issues running NA and boosted, but for the most part the engine has never run better. If you like, send me your config file and I can take a once over it and see if there's anything I can help you with.

Hi Freddy,
I have a VI head and 2300 Sniper. I recommend making sure you have absolutely no exhaust leaks and the sniper distributor. Having the Sniper control timing is a must. Your problem you have described sounds like a fuel table issue. Did you create your own fuel table on the computer based software or just through the sniper wizard on the hand held.
I have two setups as I have a paxton super charger installed. I have a few small tuning issues running NA and boosted, but for the most part the engine has never run better. If you like, send me your config file and I can take a once over it and see if there's anything I can help you with.
I have been using the learn feature and some manual tweaking with the computer program and a laptop to create and tweak the fuel table, but this is all working from what the wizard created. Overall, it runs great - just have a couple of minor issues. I do have the Hyperspark distributor and have found and fixed a couple of exhaust leaks, but suspect I still have more... Next step is to make a smoke machine so I can see better in the hard to get to areas (like the header gasket at the head). So I will work on that in the coming weeks and then may reach out to you based on what I find. Thanks for the help!!!

Back