All Small Six HEI and carb swap on my 200-need advice

This relates to all small sixes
I put a 200 in my 62 Ranchero replacing tired 170. never happy with idle or overall running.. If I got it to idle decent it would not pull mid range well. Installed a Pertronix and it ran a bit better. Tried several 1100 carbs. Bought a China copy cat of 1100 and it actually idled pretty well but still not happy with other ranges. Got a A-Team by Southwest Performance HEI and rewired it for 12v not the 9v delivered to old coil wire. Really ran well in around town driving but still acts like a miss at high range of motor. Doesn't ping or knock. Idles great. Just has thie feeling of a miss at high range before shifting gear, Reminds me of points motor with points closing up. HEI had allen wrench in box marked for "advance adjustment/" but no instructions Does the surging/miss sy upper end of rev's sound like I need to advance the timing? Never adjusted HEI thru the hex at end of HEI Thanks in advance

The Hex Wrench is to adjust the amount of movement allowed in the Vacuum Advance Canister easy you just remove the Rubber Vacuum Hose and stick the Hex Wrench in to turn it. The work is in dialing it right Do you have a good Timing Light?

went and turned the wrench 3 turns clockwise to advance the timing this morning-that is what I read is the proper direction to advance. The Ranchero never idled this well with the 1100 and stock distributor-even with the Pertronix. Took it out this morning and most of the 'missing' sputter from last night was gone. I don't have a good timing light with advance knob. Spark Plugs are burning way much cleaner in the little driving I've done since swapping out to the HEI. At idle I've just been using a vac. gauge- dialing it to max vac, and then backing off a bit. Might give the HEI one more turn clockwise to advance it a bit more. This isnt a $400.00 DUI unit but one from A-Team. I read some complaints about oil working up past shaft seal and getting in the distributor-causing misfires- but that doesn't appear to be an issue right now. Would anyone suggest I open up the gap on the sparkplugs-or possibly use a different plug.? I imagine I'm getting a much hotter spark judged on how clean the plugs are. I'd like anybodys comments if they are using an A-Team HEI on their 200 six motor-Thanks

Thanks for posting this. I put the same HEI in my car a while back but the car hasn't been on the road to test.

went and turned the wrench 3 turns clockwise to advance the timing this morning-that is what I read is the proper direction to advance. The Ranchero never idled this well with the 1100 and stock distributor-even with the Pertronix. Took it out this morning and most of the 'missing' sputter from last night was gone. I don't have a good timing light with advance knob. Spark Plugs are burning way much cleaner in the little driving I've done since swapping out to the HEI. At idle I've just been using a vac. gauge- dialing it to max vac, and then backing off a bit. Might give the HEI one more turn clockwise to advance it a bit more. This isnt a $400.00 DUI unit but one from A-Team. I read some complaints about oil working up past shaft seal and getting in the distributor-causing misfires- but that doesn't appear to be an issue right now. Would anyone suggest I open up the gap on the sparkplugs-or possibly use a different plug.? I imagine I'm getting a much hotter spark judged on how clean the plugs are. I'd like anybodys comments if they are using an A-Team HEI on their 200 six motor-Thanks
Welcome aboard.
Your HEI needs to be recurved for maximum performance & economy.
The over oiling can be corrected by me also.
See my listing in the small six for sale section of this forum. I charge $145.00 plus parts & shipping. billythedistributorman@live.com
Bill, wsa111

Back