All Small Six Fuel economy - Update

This relates to all small sixes
Not trying to be a jerk (although probably succeeding wildly), I don't see your point. I was getting 12-13 mpg with the carb that was on it. That's not right.

"...not right...."
no, agreed. (U dont seema jerk ta me) but trying to get better/best I thought.
May B I'm da jerk !
aahahahaa
love it if I was...
(was it Abby Hoffman? Donald Trump?) said: any attention is good, even if bad as it's attention...

"...not right...."
no, agreed. (U dont seema jerk ta me) but trying to get better/best I thought.
May B I'm da jerk !
aahahahaa
love it if I was...
(was it Abby Hoffman? Donald Trump?) said: any attention is good, even if bad as it's attention...
I thought that maybe you'd not read the whole string of posts about what was going on and just jumped in at the end thinking the problem wasn't what it appeared to be on the surface. Doesn't matter, I guess. I think it's fixed, thanks in large part to that fellow in the white hat with the silver bullets (Bubba). Still have to drive it more to confirm though.

Update. I've been running the old, used carb and it seems to be working well. I filled today and the mileage is just a bit under 16 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. That's more in line (sorry about the pun 😁) with what I was expecting.

Also, I thought I'd pass on another carb adventure I had. Rock Auto sells an Autoline carb for this application. I think it's a remanufactured RBS but don't know for sure. The first one that came didn't seal properly to the manifold and I had to return it. The second one they sent seems to be working OK. Hopefully this is all behind me now.

I can't thank you enough for your help and support to get me through this. Love this forum!!

U give back too John.

One of the good ones
I think we'll keep U around~
aahahahaa
(rbs is actually carter I believe)

Congrats John, glad to hear that there is a noticeable improvement in your Mustang 250's Fuel economy.

Hey,
I’m thinking it could be your final drive ratio. With the T5’s overdrive being .72? and your rear being 3.00, your final drive ratio would be 2.16. You’re probably using more throttle than necessary because the engine is lugging at a very low rpm.

Hey,
I’m thinking it could be your final drive ratio. With the T5’s overdrive being .72? and your rear being 3.00, your final drive ratio would be 2.16. You’re probably using more throttle than necessary because the engine is lugging at a very low rpm.
I also believe that your axle ratio is numerically to low.
Just for giggles, don't use your OD, even on the highway, and see if your gas mileage goes up.

ck rear end:
1) C "bill of laden" tag attached to chunk (or view cast in #/ltrs on axel tube near chunk);
/easier 4 me/
2) jack up, spin tire & count rotations w/a chalk line on DS - compaire to tire = rear end ratio.
3) ID specific T-5 for ratio in this model (there R several T-5s);
4) note tire diamiter
5) do the math for final drive ratio. Compaire to others who tell U their MPGs. Use on line gear caculator to see sweet spot (enuff pep AND mpgs to satisfy ur needs) for ur own rig. Cheeper, quicker than puttin in miles and miles of mpg recording, $ & $ on tire changes, gear changes, etc.
We dial it in w/the hassel of an additional factor - a transfer case. (most wanna crawl @ a speed U can take ur foot off the gass & still decend the heavy gradients w/o break use, assend the bumpy climb w/o vehicle damage). HTH

Agree with ragman. But I would not be happy with 16 mpg. I would say there can be more improvements. I would question the distributor advance curve and carburetor jetting. This is assuming the engine is in good shape. Just because it is a rebuilt carburetor by someone else does not make it right. the best way to check the carburetor is with an O2 gage or read the plugs. You can adjust the distributor curve with a timing light, degreed damper and rpm meter. Is the vacuum advance working?
I would not stop yet.

for mpgs ck our extensive thread(s) by MPGs (wasnt that his name?) an AZ 'member'.
He boughta bronk or 2 after a 2v direct mount in his stang classic.

Thanks! Sorry, forgot to mention that I'm running a DuraSpark II setup. [Edit to add] I got the distributor from O'Reilly and I think it's for the 75 Maverick. I did the mods to the springs and tabs laid out in the tech section. It seems very happy with a base timing setting of about 17° - has about 19 inches of vacuum at idle. I don't know what the total advance is yet - I need to make a tool so I can measure that. It doesn't ping under any circumstances using 87 octane fuel so I'm thinking it's OK and not too worried about it.

I got the fuel pump changed yesterday but now the flare fitting on the pump outlet is leaking (it wasn't before) so I need to fix that before I check mileage again.
Hi John, I came across site member "FTF" old post the other day, on adding more Degree marks on the Damper and then remembered your above post so though I would put a link to it for you, its a good easy and low budget way to do it. Have you made anymore improvements in your MPG? Here is the Link. https://fordsix.com/threads/degreeing-the-damper.78838/

Hi John, I came across site member "FTF" old post the other day, on adding more Degree marks on the Damper and then remembered your above post so though I would put a link to it for you, its a good easy and low budget way to do it. Have you made anymore improvements in your MPG? Here is the Link. https://fordsix.com/threads/degreeing-the-damper.78838/
Thanks Bubba! I have bookmarked the page.

This is pretty much what I had in mind (guess I reinvented another wheel :)) but I was going to spray some glue on the template I made and paste it to the front of the crank pulley. I'm not sure if I'd index it off of the timing mark that's on the damper or make a new timing pointer that's easier to see, and index the template from that. The stock timing pointer is really hard to see and I'm not confident that I'd be able to clearly see the template on the front of the balancer/pulley if I used that. I've not gotten to it yet and the engine runs so well that this is on the back burner.

I'm working on my second tank of fuel. It's looking good as far as miles versus use based on the fuel gauge but the tank isn't empty enough to fill yet. I'll probably put some more miles on it this week - maybe enough to fill. I'm expecting 16 mpg +/- a bit.

I seem to remember low/mid 20's on the "MGPs" or "MPGsMustang" thread.
It'll B a good while B4 I can tell on my own 8^ (
Not sure my RBS (215cfm) is the carb for it either (& the vehicle, a big sq box - no)...

Hi John, that is encouraging that your Mustang its running so much better now! Been also working a little on my wife's pickup trying to get back to the excellent MPG it was getting last summer. Got it up in a .1 at a time in several small steps getting back about 3/4 of a mile per yet am still down an another 1 mile per. Its been frustrating as I found things that I expected should have made a lot more difference, but that's the joy's of late model vehicles they run great until they don't. Then you got all the electronics to test, I still need to check the fuel curve yet. It's been my thought that maybe they have degraded our fuels somewhat too over the past year. Yet I am not hearing of any others that are noticing any difference from last year. Best of luck

Hi John, that is encouraging that your Mustang its running so much better now! Been also working a little on my wife's pickup trying to get back to the excellent MPG it was getting last summer. Got it up in a .1 at a time in several small steps getting back about 3/4 of a mile per yet am still down an another 1 mile per. Its been frustrating as I found things that I expected should have made a lot more difference, but that's the joy's of late model vehicles they run great until they don't. Then you got all the electronics to test, I still need to check the fuel curve yet. It's been my thought that maybe they have degraded our fuels somewhat too over the past year. Yet I am not hearing of any others that are noticing any difference from last year. Best of luck
I know what you're saying about the modern cars. I've had a few (starting with an '88 Volvo) that were so complicated that no one, including dealers with their "certified technicians", could find a fault, let alone fix them. It's very frustrating. All the systems are so interconnected that a degradation in one sensor can have effects in something completely unrelated. Sigh.

I am hoping that the mileage on the Mustang will go up a little. Some of the first tank was with an old carb that had not had a kit put in it. The professionally rebuilt one on it now should (🤞) be better. We'll see soon. I'll post when I tank up again.

Let's C:
1) a lill over inflation on tire
2) good w. bearings, no break drag
3) no other drag (a/c or other 'accessories') or roof racks, etc
4) tune (vac &/or A/F ratio gauge use)
5) air, fuel filters
6) plugs

What else?

Just got back from a "Sunday" drive and filled the tank. MPG for that tank of fuel is 19.1. I'm happy with that! :banana:
Thanks again all the help (and Bubba, I owe you mass quantities of beer:beer:).

Cheer-o John

Congratulations John, that is much more like what a good 250 should be able to do on MPG.

Back