Classic inline head install

I have not been able to do anything with installing the alum head yet because other things keep getting in the way. Like putting up cypress planks in the house, working on & with a newley aquired backhoe, plus 3 other projects begging for work on them but it's all good.

When I installed my Dakota Digital dash I wound up moveing my sniper temp sensor from the t stat houseing to the stock dash sensor location in the block .I also changed to a 195 degree t stat because the temp was so low driveing in cool weather the sniper kept going into the open loop mode.

Do you remember what size plug you used to plug the oil passage in the block?

I used a 3/8 x 18 hex plug after tapping the hole in the block. There are 5 holes in the head that are the right size for the sensor, I'll use one of those for the water temp sensor.
BTW, my parts guy sold me the wrong rear main seal. He gave me a FelPro BS30136 instead of a BS 30135. Any one out there have a line on the
BS 30135 seals?

I used a 3/8 x 18 hex plug after tapping the hole in the block. There are 5 holes in the head that are the right size for the sensor, I'll use one of those for the water temp sensor.
BTW, my parts guy sold me the wrong rear main seal. He gave me a FelPro BS30136 instead of a BS 30135. Any one out there have a line on the
BS 30135 seals?

Just thought I would post an up date. The Alumn head is still on hold as I have been trying to make sure the 2300 Sniper is operating ok, as I've had some issues with exhaust leaks . The Sniper absolutley will not operate correct with any exhaust leaks before or with in about 18" after the O2 sensor, all though I can unplug the o2 sensor & put it in open loop & it works semi ok.

I've ran it on a Couple of short trips since the repairs & it has worked perfect. A few more trips & i will install the Holley Hyper Spark dist for sniper controlled timeing , i don't want to add a potential problem until I'm sure the other is solved.

Got all the parts here but the intake & it's still in the trunk of my vert where it's been since I purchased the head setup. Just so you know my 200 runs pretty sporty now with the Sniper & header on a stock small log head on a stock motor. The v8 mustang guys say we are nuts to spend the money these parts cost, but they spend the same kind of money for these kind of parts with the only difference being they get more power. To me that's kind of crazy because they had more power to start with.

One side note some of the 2300 Sniper people might be intrested in . I've been doing a lot of checking on the Sniper facebook page & an interesting post I came across is a possible issue with air flow into the Sniper when useing a drop base air cleaner for clearance issues. Since I do use a 1" drop base & a 2" filter to get hood clearance I purchased a new air cleaner so I can use the lid that is a filter. I put this on when I fixed my exhaust leaks so I can't say for sure if it made any difference. All I know is she sure is likeing everything now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220413-112326_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220413-112326_Gallery.jpg
    795.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20220413-112559_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220413-112559_Gallery.jpg
    759.1 KB · Views: 49
Well two steps ahead & 1 1/2 back. Took The Money Pit out about 2 weeks ago & she ran like a top.
Then I decided to put the Hyper Spark dist in,went from running like a top with the Dura Spark to she ain't doing squat .

Got my new ground straps in yesterday from Summit along with a 7 fuse all 12 volt ign on block with a couple of relays . Got 2 eng to frame straps on & had to give it up . The sweat factor in the shop with the 105 heat index was 2 much for me.

I plan on a complete rewire on the Sniper & MSD 6AL BOX, with all those wires installed by themselves . I'll get it squared away sooner or later. If not I'll put that dura spark back in.

On the Vintage 6 Mustang facebook forum there are a few guys making serious power with the 200 & 250 6 cyl.
I guess it serious 430 to about 480 on a dyno & that's pretty stout even for some v8's in my book.

I'll post another up date later. Maybe I get the cam & head on the eng before summer is over.
Opened the cabinet a few weeks back & checked everything out, man the parts don't appear to have worn any.

Well I figured out my no run with the Hyper Spark ,I was missing part of the wireing harness off the Sniper. Nothing telling the MSD to fire .

Man after looking back thru these post I have to say I sound like a broken record about the head install . But it's not been all wasted time ,I've been following the eng install in Goldie. Their saga has been a learning experience for me .
After the initall woo hoo wore off I have been steadley getting parts together . I don't know weather to go for it or hold up untill my knee gets whatever did to it .

Looks great. Love the split manifold. I ordered that valve covers from Jose also. He didn't have enough from this run. Have to wait.

Keep posting pics as you go. Are you going to coat the intake with anything? It gets annoying trying to keep it clean. How about the exhaust from Aussiespeed? Keeping it bare or coating it?

I have been thinking about clearcoating the head & intake . The Aussie speed manifold I would like to put something on it but have'nt found anything that really held up on my other stuff .
Right now I'm running a split header with 2 1/4" duals . I purchased the dual outlet cast iron header thinking maybe a turbo on down the road.

I noticed you said it was hard to keep the intake clean,are you running one of the alumn heads? If so what type carb are you running ? You have any issues getting everything up & going ?

When I got the valve cover in ( it was a little over a month from when I got in with Jose ,so don't give up ) I though pretty cool . Later when I was putting the parts together to take the pictures I realized that cover is as heavy as that cast iron manifold maybe a little heavier .
Right now I'm still up in the air as far as which way to go with all the parts, put them on my 200 or go all out & put them on my 250 & put it in the car .

It's been a long road to get to this point with getting everything together .

I have been thinking about clearcoating the head & intake . The Aussie speed manifold I would like to put something on it but have'nt found anything that really held up on my other stuff .

If you want to paint aluminum with colour, use 'Alodine' as primer. We use that in the aviation industry to prime aluminum sheet metal for aircrafts, and it works well. I used it on the timing chain of my 200 cover also.

But be warned, it gives bare aluminum a green/grey/yellowish look and should be applied on sandblasted or coarse surface (not for shiny and bare surfaces).

EDIT:
Found a picture of the actual stuff we use, it's called Bonderite...

Attachments

• 20221121_150949.jpg
    20221121_150949.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
If you want to paint aluminum with colour, use 'Alodine' as primer. We use that in the aviation industrie to prime sheet metal for aircrafts, and it works well. I used it on the timing chain of my 200 cover also.

But be warned, it gives bare aluminum a green/grey/yellowish look and should be applied on sandblasted or coarse surface (not for shiny and bare surfaces).
Thanks

Well another it ain't on yet post for the Classic Inline head .
Had another one of those something got in the way things happen . Seen a post on the Vintage 6 Facebook forum of a supercharger install on a 200 .
Ordered a Paxton off ebay that arrived damaged . He denied it was damaged when it shipped & did'nt want it back but whatever ebay said to him changed that theme .
Finally got the pulleys ,brackets & belt ordered from Paradise Wheels. So once that Paxton money comes back I'll order another one . This won't be like the head it will go on pronto .

I debated on a turbo but they just seem to come with a lot of stuff that you have to do . I'm not really looking for all the power in the motor . The 2300 Sniper added a good bit ,the supercharger will add some with a minimal amount of headaches I think . I ever get the other top end parts on, i should have all the power an old guy needs in a 1967 Mustang .
Well maybe

Superchargers come in lower, I always thought that was a good fit for our sixes. Plus the Paxton's are so sexy.

I could use an aluminum head
Contact Jose Alvarez on the Vintage 6 Mustang Facebook site if you can take it ( money wise ) he might be able to get you one of the 221 Argentina heads with the exhaust & intake manifolds. You need both our headers are different.
Might be he can only get a steel one, if so i,d go.for it .

Back