Classic inline head install

To be honest I don't remember it's not streched too far apart on any of the settings. But I did have to lean the idle setting some awhile back because it was stumbling all around.
Thanks Wayne,

Still trying to figure out the right curve for mine with an HEI, I'll share if I get a good tune on it.

Essentially doing the same build as you albeit on a 62 falcon (my first car) and with an original 250 2v from aus2not the aluminum one. Also certainly not getting to that extreme at the same speed. Still have a 170 head on my 200 block with a Trans-Dapt Billet 2>1 adapter for my 2300.

Looking forward to following along!

Just so you know be 100% sure you have no exhaust leaks up stream or at the o2 sensor. If you do your going to have major problems with the sniper.

I'm still trying to get mine squared away after a header gasket burn't out on the 3& 4 port. Also if it's running good drive it, the more you do the more the sniper learns.

Also if your haveing issues keep a check on the oil because if the sniper gets screwy it can over fuel" a lot. " When mine messed up it wound up 2 qts over with gas diluted oil .

Just so you know be 100% sure you have no exhaust leaks up stream or at the o2 sensor. If you do your going to have major problems with the sniper.

I'm still trying to get mine squared away after a header gasket burn't out on the 3& 4 port. Also if it's running good drive it, the more you do the more the sniper learns.

Also if your haveing issues keep a check on the oil because if the sniper gets screwy it can over fuel" a lot. " When mine messed up it wound up 2 qts over with gas diluted oil .
Thats actually a really good point to keep an eye on, I have an pretty bad oil leak we are still diagnosing. This is a good spot to look at on the fuel aspect.

I appreciate the points of interest to look at for now!

Smell the oil on the stick if its leaking fuel down the cylinders you'll know.

Next time it's running pull the breather & look down the barrels if its overfueling you can see it washing over the butterflys or comeing out the discharge openings around the bottom of the barrels..

If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge on it you need one. The glowshift electronic one works great & is a fairley easy install.

I would never have found the fuel pump ( external mount that came with the kit) problem I had without it.

If you think I can help in any way hit me up. Good luck.

I'm useing the same adaptor aa you have. During my online searching I seen a vintage online adaptor & it's set up a lot better as it has a insert that goes inside under the carb mounting surface that keeps any loose mounting bolts ,nuts ,etc that attach it to the head from going down the intake.

On mine I used some allen bolts from another project that are long enough they can't back out of the head & fall into the intake log with the sniper mounted.

Smell the oil on the stick if its leaking fuel down the cylinders you'll know.

Next time it's running pull the breather & look down the barrels if its overfueling you can see it washing over the butterflys or comeing out the discharge openings around the bottom of the barrels..

If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge on it you need one. The glowshift electronic one works great & is a fairley easy install.

I would never have found the fuel pump ( external mount that came with the kit) problem I had without it.

If you think I can help in any way hit me up. Good luck.

I'm useing the same adaptor aa you have. During my online searching I seen a vintage online adaptor & it's set up a lot better as it has a insert that goes inside under the carb mounting surface that keeps any loose mounting bolts ,nuts ,etc that attach it to the head from going down the intake.

On mine I used some allen bolts from another project that are long enough they can't back out of the head & fall into the intake log with the sniper mounted.
Thanks for the steps and info on this.

What steps did you take to reduce the fuel flow while keeping the AFR right?

I've never had a pressure issue after I installed the Holley EFI INTANK pump. Its self regulated plus I have a return line . Holds 60 psi all day long. That's why I mentioned the pressure gauge. You can't know if it's high or low. The sniper monitor has a setting for the fuel psi you have to the sniper it needs approx 60 psi, but all it does is help the ECU to function properly because it does nothing to regulate the pressure its self.

From what I've seen on the online sniper issues both excessive & low pressure are a problem.

As for the AFR when it was running good before the header gasket burn out they stayed pretty much where I had them set.

I have the holley tank as well. Came straight from then with the in tank pump. So that can rule it out.

Even with the new tank did you install the filter sent with the sniper up in the eng compartment to catch anything that might have came thru the line before it could get into the sniper?
During my searching I had seen that inside the sniper there is a screen that can get trash in it & cause issues, I don't know where exactley.
Also if it's fairley new try to contact the tech line. Best bet on that is start calling as soon as they open.

Wayne Clark, did you ever get the head installed and working with the sniper? I just installed 2300 sniper on my CI head and have a couple of issues. Just wanted to compare notes.

As of now I have not installed the head because of other things takeing up my time. But I would like to talk to you about your install of the sniper on the alumn head & the head its self.

You can also contact me thru my g mail at wc4225@gmail.com

Freddy I lost the g mail you sent along with my reply to it. I had sent the reply but don't know that it actually went. Let me know if you received it .
Thanks
Wayne

Never got your reply Wayne. I just resent my email to you.
Merry Christmas!
Freddy I was able to pull my reply back up after you resent your PM to me. Hope it comes thru, if not let me know & I'll try again.

Don't know if anything in it might help ,but I hope it does.
If you have any questions even if you think he won't know just send me a PM & if I have any idea I'll be glad to try & help.

I know the install instructions leave a lot to be desired but you can go into the handheld & add more fuel into the sniper on acceleration also put more fuel into the prime setting at startup.

I'm more of an old school pushrod & carb guy ,so all the efi & ecm stuff is a new ball game for me. The one thing I would advise is if you do go into the various setting on the handheld is be careful in the advanced setting,record the settings you change so you can put them back if you need to.

Also on the AFR settings the lower the number the richer the settings,I allways try to err on the rich side. The TPS setting om the monitor effect the Sniper a lot. I've found on my car the more I turn the idle screw ( to us )in , the more the Sniper lowers the settings of the TPS readings.

Well I guess my install will start on the alum head with everything else in a ( I hope) short time. Ordered a double row chain from Vintage Inline. To get the free shipping from Summit I ordered a port divider to use with the Aussie speed header om the 250 that's going in my 66 Ranchero.

Just got news 2 weeks ago my cousin who's about 5 or 6 years younger than I am has advanced prostate cancer that has spread to his bones. Talk about incentive to get something going.
Been out in the shop this morning making room to get the money pit in there to start on it.

I still have not turned a wrench on the install yet but thought I would bring everyone up to date. My 2 Remflex header gaskets & the Vintage inline double row chain were delivered late today . The 2 head gaskets came a few days ago.

Hopefully the build will go pretty smooth. Right now the eng is stock with a split header & dual exhaust. It's running a 2300 Sniper. A Dura spark dist thru a MSD 6Al box

It will be a Classic Inline with serial # 009 . The head is supposed to have been fully ported. I cc'ed a couple of chambers & they are 46cc. My head gasket has an advertised compression thickness of .o44 . I ordered a cam from Schneiders cam ,Jerry recommended the same cam profile as Bill Ambler . I don't remember them right now but can post them later if anybody wants to know.

It will get a Yella Terra roller rocker set up on it. The double row chain will be installed advanced 2 degrees as Bill Ambler advised me.

If any body has any suggestions as things to do or not do during this install let me know. I'm all about learning from somebody so I can possibly avoid problems.

Hopefully in about 3 weeks I have my tractors out of my shop & can actually start on the head install in my vert.

Do you plan on doing any short block work shuch as boring for a new set of Pistons other than the new cam install and double roller timing chain set? If so zero decking the block is a good mod on the 200's.

Do you plan on doing any short block work shuch as boring for a new set of Pistons other than the new cam install and double roller timing chain set? If so zero decking the block is a good mod on the 200's.
As of now about all I plan on is just installing the new parts on my eng. It seems to be in good shape so I'm going to roll the dice & see how it goes.

This thing won't be on any kind of track or have me flogging on it( well maybe some). It all ways fun when I tell people it's a 6 cyl after they hear it running in the basically stock form now.

I hope after the head install I will get to drive the car more than I have in the past. Not anything wrong with the car before just seem to have other things going on.

You lose a lot of drive time when you start 2 or 3 different things at once on your car. Thankfully I only have one more major up grade planned for The money Pit after the head install.

Where did the coolant temp sensor for the Sniper end up being placed on the CI aluminum head? I'm building a similar engine using Yella Terra roller rockers. I've tapped the oil port in the block and plugged it with a hex set screw. I matched the water ports and will be modifying the two lifters to allow sufficient oil to the dizzy gear. Good luck, let us know how it all works out!

Where did the coolant temp sensor for the Sniper end up being placed on the CI aluminum head? I'm building a similar engine using Yella Terra roller rockers. I've tapped the oil port in the block and plugged it with a hex set screw. I matched the water ports and will be modifying the two lifters to allow sufficient oil to the dizzy gear. Good luck, let us know how it all works out!
I have not been able to do anything with installing the alum head yet because other things keep getting in the way. Like putting up cypress planks in the house, working on & with a newley aquired backhoe, plus 3 other projects begging for work on them but it's all good.

When I installed my Dakota Digital dash I wound up moveing my sniper temp sensor from the t stat houseing to the stock dash sensor location in the block .I also changed to a 195 degree t stat because the temp was so low driveing in cool weather the sniper kept going into the open loop mode.

Do you remember what size plug you used to plug the oil passage in the block?

Back