AU NZ AU 250 Harmonic Damper from BHJ - Joyce Engineering

Australia or New Zealand Related

1966Mustang

ALL THE THINGS
Staff member
Subscriber
Hello,

In a conversation I had with BHJ - harmonicdampers.com, the rep mentioned that they had built at least 2 dampers for a customer in AU - Joyce Engineering. Has anyone heard of them? My googling turns up nothing.

Is the AU 250 damper the same as a US 250 damper?

Thanks,

Perry

Hi Perry,

I can't help with Joyce Engineering but I had a Romac harmonic balancer (damper) fitted to my Aussie 170 - it's actually intended for the 250 and here is the link, which gives a bunch of useful dimensions:

I've checked the invoice - the part number of the one I bought is A0217SA and while it was a dumb move for me because the shorter block of the 170 meant I had to use a smaller water pump pulley (and ultimately went to a Davies Craig Electric Water Pump) it did prove the pulley fits on the snout of the 170 crank.

I've always thought that the Aussie 170 probably didn't have too many differences from the USA 170 given they hadn't been in production for very long and all the parts I bought from FSPP/Classic Inlines fitted my 170 with no problems. Therefore if Ford didn't change any of the damper's important dimensions over the life of the engine it's not unreasonable to think the Aussie 250 damper will fit the USA 250.

For what it's worth, I paid AUD $513.20 (excluding sales tax) for the damper back in September 2018.

If you have the time, have a read of parent company Nornda Automotive's history - it's a link off their home page: https://www.norndaautomotive.com.au/ - I also tracked down and bought the appropriate Rollmaster timing gear for my 170.

There's also a catalogue with lots of pretty pictures that can be downloaded off this page: https://www.norndaautomotive.com.au/romac/product-information.html - the top of page 70 in the catalogue has the important pictures and details of the Ford inline 6 damper.

Cheers,
Alan.

Very Nice, they even have a surpenetine pulley and crank trigger wheel too.

Careful - the serpentine grooves and trigger wheel equipped models are for the later overhead cam versions of the six. Mind you, the important dimensions all match the 0217 damper for our pushrod/pre cross flow sixes so presumably they would still fit.

Here's a couple of shots of my damper before I gave it to the engine builder.

Crank damper 5.JPGCrank damper 6.JPG

They have an office in the US now.

3P Connect LLC
2020 S Lynx Pl
Ontario
CA 91761

CALL FOR APPOINTMENT MON - FRI 9AM - 5PM (PACIFIC TIME)

909 476 6068

Excellent, shows to be great quality workmanship and looks like it's fulley degreed to.

All the posts on serpentine verses non serpentine links and how the short deck dampener is restricted by the proximity of the water pump and how the US 250 is a 1.375 spigot crank verses 1.248 for everthing else 144/170/187/188/200/221 and Aussie 250 and 3.2/3.9/4.0 Ohc has been discused with lots of pictures. Some of the Aussie stuff won't fit shallow deck engines well and there is a 0.120 to 0.200 space between the crank balancer on later engines, but less on the smaller US less than 250 cube sixes. But 90% of it will work and it's just water pump and belt alignment and the bolt diameter and shoulder that has to be right.

Good luck on finding my posts. It's hard work repeating yourself. It's not like I know much extra than anyone else, but I have had pictures to show all the details. Talk is cheap, photos are what you need.

Ford didn't change much on the X flows and OHCS. ..the parts are 90% right and if you lay out the balancers on paper verses your water pump and 2, 3 & 4G alternators and what not, you'll get in the zone.

See this link, post #7. Again, all the earlier links are dead.

Last edited:
Timely. I just added a Romac 0217 to my US 200 motor. It fit, but as X says there is a minor difference in depth from the rear of the balancer to the snout from stock. Once installed I saw my water pump and alternator didn't exactly line up. My water pump pulley was an aluminum one from Vintage inlines and just needed (2) 1/8" pulley spacers. My alternator needed a little trimming of the lower boss so that I could fine tune the alignment (I used spacers to make up the material I trimmed off). Works like a charm.

Hello,

In a conversation I had with BHJ - harmonicdampers.com, the rep mentioned that they had built at least 2 dampers for a customer in AU - Joyce Engineering. Has anyone heard of them? My googling turns up nothing.

Is the AU 250 damper the same as a US 250 damper?

Thanks,

Perry
I wonder if this is who you ask about? https://www.yellowpages.com.au/vic/seymour/joyce-automotive-engineers-12966957-listing.html
The best I can find here. It may just be how you google the name!

Timely. I just added a Romac 0217 to my US 200 motor. It fit, but as X says there is a minor difference in depth from the rear of the balancer to the snout from stock. Once installed I saw my water pump and alternator didn't exactly line up. My water pump pulley was an aluminum one from Vintage inlines and just needed (2) 1/8" pulley spacers. My alternator needed a little trimming of the lower boss so that I could fine tune the alignment (I used spacers to make up the material I trimmed off). Works like a charm.
Gus, how is it going, and does it have a SFI label on it?

Back