All Small Six 66' 200 automatic dies when I press the gas pedal

This relates to all small sixes
Thanks and sorry for the rabbit trail. I don't know how to tweak the accelerator pump circuit on that model carb. Some carbs there's an adjustment built in, others no. Regardless, the squirt needs to begin at once when the throttle is cracked open. If it's delayed then an off-idle hesitation is the result, worse when engine is cold.
Got it and thanks! I will do some digging or see if someone chimes in that knows this carb setup đź‘Ť

What model carb is it exactly? I'll look at schematics too. I know carbs, just not that one personally.

Yes, there is an adjustment for the accelerator pump. The lever on the cover has a couple little holes in it with a pin through one of them to serve as a stop. Changing holes the pin is in gives you a high/low stroke adjustment. The procedure is detailed in your shop manual.

Yes, there is an adjustment for the accelerator pump. The lever on the cover has a couple little holes in it with a pin through one of them to serve as a stop. Changing holes the pin is in gives you a high/low stroke adjustment. The procedure is detailed in your shop manual.
I'll dive into it, thanks!

Ok so I haven’t adjusted this yet but it was driving good today. I wanted to test the vacuum. So I got the car nice and warm, then disconnected the transmission vac line so I could get a manifold vacuum reading. The car immediately died when I did that. Should I disconnect somewhere else?

Ok so I haven’t adjusted this yet but it was driving good today. I wanted to test the vacuum. So I got the car nice and warm, then disconnected the transmission vac line so I could get a manifold vacuum reading. The car immediately died when I did that. Should I disconnect somewhere else?
When you disconnect the hose you create a massive vacuum leak. Hook your gauge up before you start the car to keep it plugged.

Back