Ignition Upgrade

The Big Block of inline Ford sixes

Moderator: Mod Squad

Ignition Upgrade

Postby Inline Six » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:00 pm

Hello inliners,

I was wondering on makeing some improvements in the ignition system of my big 300 engine, but I do not know what's the best one I could use on my engine ? I've seen several manufacturers advertising their products for V8 engines but nothing for the inline six 240-300 motors, therefore I ask ya'll experts here in this forum if is it possible to improve the ignition system of my 300 engine ? Where I can find out aftermarket stuff to upgrade this ? Just get back your replies and let me know on this matter !

Thank you,

Inline Six :( :? :oops:
Brasil - s. America
Inline Six

Postby str8ght hate » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:43 pm

there is a company called dui that sells an upgraded distributor for the 240 to 300 six. also if u check summit racing u can get the coil and wire upgrade. i personally will be running a msd blaster 2 coil with jacobs electronics ceramic wires and an msd 6al box.
str8ght hate

Postby shmoozo » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:39 am

str8ght hate wrote:there is a company called dui that sells an upgraded distributor for the 240 to 300 six. also if u check summit racing u can get the coil and wire upgrade. i personally will be running a msd blaster 2 coil with jacobs electronics ceramic wires and an msd 6al box.

Interesting.

I found the source for these DUI units HERE. I don't know if they will ship to Brasil, but at least the web page has some info about the product.

:)
shmoozo

Postby Gunner » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:10 am

I went with Summit Racing.

Ordered an MSD Blaster 2 coil and a set of Taylor Spiro-Pro wires custom made for the 300. Total was under 100 bucks.
Gunner

Ignition Upgrade

Postby Inline Six » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:30 am

Hi guys...

First off I'd like to thanks for the info posted here. Some time ago I've seen in the Inliners International Web Site Classified adds that someone was offering a Vetex Magneto for the Ford big six 240-300 engines ! Does anyone know if Taylor Vertex still makes magnetos for these engines ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thank you,

Inline Six :( :) :D
Inline Six

Postby 5_Labsownus » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:48 pm

Has info on converting to HEI using a GM module. I did this and it works great but you need a hotter coil and run a non-resistor wire to the coil.

www.gofastforless.com/
5_Labsownus

Postby russk » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:39 pm

One distributor you might want to look at is the Mallory Unilite "model 47" unit that's available for the Ford 240/300 inline. I believe their part number is 4763101. This distributor uses a photo cell breakerless system but I don't know if it uses mechanical or vacuum advance.

I also understand that there is a Vertex magneto for the Ford 240/300 six but I haven't run across any sources or any detailed information.
russk

Postby Econo240 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:28 pm

Here's a link to the Mallory Unilite electronic.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/detai ... AL-4563101

I have this with the Mallory wires and the coil that will handle the Mallory Hyfire VI ignition system.

Haven't yet put in the Hyfire VI.
Econo240

Postby Econo240 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:53 pm

The Hyfire V1 made a big difference.

I didn't get a good quench with my flat top Clevite pistons.

My hope was to get a better burn by putting in the Hyfire V1.
This unit produces a spark through 22 1/2 degree of engine rotation.

It definitely did the trick. Now it has some solid power and I can start to open up the plug gap.
So the spark should be stronger, longer and bigger.
Econo240

Postby THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:15 pm

Question: If the initial spark is strong enough to light off the charge are not the remaining 22 degrees of spark discharge redundant?

I will grant you that having enough spark energy to open the plug gap is equivalent to advancing the timing due to a quicker formation of the flame kernel, but I thought all of the auto companies already did that and opened the gaps to .054 - .060 years ago - about the same time EGR was invented.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Postby str8ght hate » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:00 pm

i am running and msd blaster 2 coil accel 8.8 wires and a msd 6box and i can tell the difference it made. it idles smoother and has a little more get up and go from a stop
str8ght hate

Postby johnraym » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:41 pm

http://www.taylorvertex.com/PDFS/vertexCatalog.pdf
I don't know if a mag is the way to go for you but they claim to be able to fit one up for most applications
johnraym

Postby SR_Crewchief » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:48 pm

If your ignition is TFI then the aftermarket coils and TFI modules for the 5.0 V8 are compatable.

I've switched to the Accel coil, 8mm wires, and openned the gap from the stock .045 to .055 with good results. Just ordered the Accel TFI module since my stock one is starting to throw a code. With over 284k on the engine I guess some parts eventually wearout. :shock:
1988 F150 4x2 RC LB 4.9l M5OD
SR_Crewchief

Postby stowe44 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:02 pm

Im a new guy here and i was wondering do Ignitions increase hp? if so how much? and is it worth the dough?
stowe44

Postby Harte3 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:46 pm

Book still showing 44-46 for my '83. When I got the Mallory HyFire 6a and MSD Blaster II installed opened up to 50...quite the wake up!
'83 F150 300, 0.030 over, Offy DP, Holley 4160/1848-1 465 cfm, Comp Cam 260H. P/P head, EFI exhaust manifolds, Walker Y Pipe, Super Cat, Turbo muffler, Recurved DSII, Mallory HyFire 6a, ACCEL Super Stock Coil, Taylor 8mm Wires, EFI plugs.
Harte3
VIP Member

Postby Lazy JW » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:21 am

stowe44 wrote:Im a new guy here and i was wondering do Ignitions increase hp? if so how much? and is it worth the dough?

That's a pretty open-ended question, and the answer is: "It depends".

Much depends on what you have to start with. Also what your goals are, and what sort of modifications you have or have not done to the engine.

First off, fancy ignitions really don't "make power". But they can allow an engine to develop as much as it is able.

A properly designed and well-maintained breaker point system can get the job done just fine. The Frenchtown Flyer has a dragster that makes more power than most engines here and it is ignited by a breaker-point triggered magneto. Most youngsters are scared of points though, too many moving parts for them.

A DS2 Ford ignition is pretty good. Add a TFI coil and it only gets better.

Check out www.gofastforless.com for some excellent reading on ignitions and other performance related topics.
Have fun!
Joe
74 F-350 300-6, EFI manifolds into single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18B, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. Great farm truck!
Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Postby Bret » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:25 pm

I bought the DUI and I have no regrets. I did quite a bit of research prior to my purchase. I decided against muli-spark set ups and aftermarket external boxes. Dyno tests generally show no improvement over a single spark of adequate power, delivered at the right time.

Stock DS II distributors can be upgraded with custom curves and more voltage. The DUI is a simple bolt-on though. I bet the Performance Distributor guys would be glad to ship one to Brazil.

My DUI did not add power to my stock 300. The DUI worked better than a stock DS II on my motor; no part throttle ping. I don't know if the DUI is the ultimate set up. I still don't have the carb bugs worked out of my motor.
Bret

Postby trueblue120 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:33 pm

trueblue120

Return to 240-300 "Big Block" Six Performance