C4 Transmission lines

Trans, clutch, driveshaft, and rearend.

Moderator: Mod Squad

C4 Transmission lines

Postby sparkyj » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:17 am

Can transmission lines be solid all the way to the radiator or is it best to have about a foot of flexible transmission hose to take up any twisting or vibration?
I'm bending brand new lines, and getting into the aesthetics of it.
Also, what is the placement of the lines to the radiator? Is there a particular order and style for running these along a stock 200? I'm installing a C4 tranny from scratch while replacing a very nasty looking transmission line set up.

Thanks!
sparkyj

Re: C4 Transmission lines

Postby ludwig » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:41 am

I got pre-bent lines from NPD. Both were folded over once and had to be unfolded to their final size. The pattern is somewhat complicated since they hug the lines of the tranny and block. Plus, they are held in place parallel to each other with a little two-sided clip somewhere on the underside. I forget where. They are metal the entire way and use compression fittings on both ends. The vacuum modulator has a little piece of hose in it, however.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.
ludwig
VIP Member

Postby kukm66 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:11 am

You can buy the entire setup aftermarket from Falcon and Mustang parts suppliers.
1964 Falcon Futura Convertible
1964 Ranchero
kukm66

Postby ludwig » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:14 am

Ditto. And be sure to use brake line wrenches that surround the nut to cinch them down tight. Plain open end wrenches will just round the shoulders of the compression nuts before you get a decent seal. If you mash it too bad, you will have to get another line.

ludwig
VIP Member

Postby LaGrasta » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:12 pm

I have replaced ALL my rubber lines (fuel, Trans, Vacume, etc) with solid lines, no rubber whatsoever, also for aesthetic reasons. This was done almost 7 years ago (40k) without a single crack or leak. I don't believe the straight six flexes enough to really rattle the lines much.
1963 1/2 Falcon 170/C4/8" (alt, a/c, Petronix/42v coil/8mm wires, 16" electric fan, electric fuel pump, Holley 1940, K&N Harley air filter, power dual m/c, 11" disc, 3" drop, Shelby drop, white tuck/roll, Moon steering wheel, '59 Caddy tail lights, fishtail exhaust tip, shaved trim, handles, cowl, fuel, dash, 4" radius trunk/door corners, power windows, 600w iPod system)
LaGrasta
VIP Member

Postby sparkyj » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks guys, I'm going to try and bend some straight line I had today. Wish me luck. In the long run I know I can get the correct bends at a few places like you all said. Does the Modulator line just feed up to the carb? I have the little 1 barrel. Looks to have a cloth covered tube coming out of it.
sparkyj

Postby JackFish » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:55 pm

That line that goes to the carb is coming off the exhaust manifold, right?
If so, no.
The vacuum should be fed from the INTAKE manifold, there should be a brass fitting just under the carb.
1978 Ford Fairmont station wagon
1978 Ford Fairmont station wagon
Yup, I bought another one.
1996 Chevy Caprice 9C1
JackFish
VIP Member

Postby sparkyj » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:20 am

Ya, of course. i'm visualizing this stuff days later sitting at a computer. Duh. I bought a new Vacuum line to bend and attach to the modulator.
And I bent my trans lines tonight, up to the radiator area.

RE: the trans lines. What side of the radiator do these lines attach? Does it matter?
I'm having trouble with the fittings from the lines coming from the trans. The line needs to step down to a smaller inlet fitting. this is a latter model 4 row radiator. I bought it so long ago i can't remember the year or make. it is a cross flow type. i thought it was an 80's mustang model. it fits perfectly in the 62 ranchero radiator cutout. Anyways, does anyone know if those bottom fittings are a special thread? the standard one that size (1/4"?) doesn't seem to thread smoothly and i don't want to force it in case it is a courser thread or metric or something like that. I had trouble finding an adapter that goes from the trans size thread (I forget the size) to this smaller size. Seems a shame to reduce the size. And i was hoping to do solid lines all the way but may have to use a piece of hose to compensate..
sparkyj

Postby ludwig » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:33 am

You can get reducing bushings and adaptors at the brass parts area of the hardware store. They go on the lower right (passenger side). You sound like you're kind of handy. Why not solder up a couple of your own bungs?

ludwig
VIP Member

Postby sparkyj » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:16 am

Ha! Thanks for the vote of confidence ludwig. Does anyone know what size the standard is for Ford radiator cooling line fittings? I don't know if the newer brass fittings just natuaraly feel tight, as in they don't turn past 1 turn by hand.. i don't want to strip the tread in the radiator....

Regarding directional flow to the radiator. Does the rear line connect to the Drivers side radiator and the more forward line connect to the passenger side? Does it matter?
sparkyj

Postby ludwig » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:14 am

Don't think it matters. The fittings are not expensive. Get a couple, oil them up and try again. It is a compression fitting after all. Maybe they don't work. Then over to plan B.

ludwig
VIP Member

Postby sparkyj » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:06 am

I put some of my daughters clay in the hole of the radiator, looked at the indentations under a loop and found that the threads are probably the same. I sprayed some cleaner in there and I think a surplus of spray paint the radiator shop sprayed got in there and gunked it up. well, the fittings will work I think. Went to the same shop (5 years latter) and got a missing fitting for the radiator. Now just need the compression female piece to go over the trans line to the smaller radiator fitting. These little parts are getting harder to find! Tried 3 places locally here. Nada.! Now on to the drive shaft....(new post)
sparkyj

Postby ludwig » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:06 am

Junkyard?

ludwig
VIP Member

Postby sparkyj » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:27 am

Do you recommend any teflon tape on those fittings or just let the compression factor do the work?
just curious what those of you that are functioning "leak free" have done.
Thanks
sparkyj

Postby ludwig » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:34 am

Teflon tape, but make sure you don't lap it where it can shear off and get into the ATF.

ludwig
VIP Member

Postby sparkyj » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:14 am

Thanks Ludwig, does it matter which side these lines hook up to?
I mean there is a right and left radiator outlet.
I have a late model cross flow radiator. Seems like it wouldn't really matter.
sparkyj

Postby ludwig » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:57 pm

Don't think so.

ludwig
VIP Member

Return to Transmission & Drivetrain