Twin I-beam suspension

Service, upgrades, and modifications.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Twin I-beam suspension

Postby hawke » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:19 pm

Is it possible to low this or even remove it totally to low my truck 3-4 inches or more? It's an 84 2wd ford f-150
hawke

Postby OzHemi » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:22 pm

You can buy dropped I-beams... dropped coils to go with them as well.

Last set I got came from AIM/ Chassis-Tech. Check out an issue of Truckin', should be a few companies in there with the dropped beams.
OzHemi

Postby StrangeRanger » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:22 pm

To get 5" of front drop you need to replace the Twin I-Beams with a set of aftermarket drop beams available from many sources. Some of the aftermarket builders make quality parts, some make total junk. You'll need to do some serious research as to brands before you buy.
1996 F-150 (tow missile)
1993 Mustang 5.0 (hot rod and auto-x monster)
1982 Tiga Formula Ford (SCCA racecar)
2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe (daily driver)
StrangeRanger
VIP Member

Postby ludwig » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:55 pm

You will hear a great deal of mythology about Ford front ends. What ever you do, DO NOT listen to anyone who says you must cut and weld the I-beams. This will weaken and ruin the suspension. Similarly, if anyone says you have to heat the I-beams and bend them to align he front end, find a shop that actually knows how to align F series trucks. It is done with replaceable cams, adjustable sleeves and bushings.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.
ludwig
VIP Member

Postby hawke » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:39 pm

I've heard that heating them up and bending was a very bad idea so I don't plan on persueing that option at all. What sites would I be looking at for the lowerin I-Beams. I did some serious searching already and couldn't find any lowering ones. Any help would be greatful.
Thanks,
hawke

Postby CoupeBoy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:47 am

Fordification deals strictly with the 'bumpside' trucks ('68-'72 F series) and has an article with links to manufacturers websites.

Their article
http://www.fordification.com/FAQ-suspension.htm

And not endorsing this kit, because I've never used them or any kit, but on evilbay there are some vendors for example.
Lowering Kit FORD F100 i-beams 65-72 71 70 69 68 67 66

I thought that ford i-beams could be straightened the same way as semi front and trailer axles? A large hydraulic jack and some chains? No heat required or desired.

-ron
CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Postby ludwig » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:59 am

I thought that ford i-beams could be straightened the same way as semi front and trailer axles? A large hydraulic jack and some chains? No heat required or desired.

Yeah, you can tenderize meat by beating it with a hammer too, instead of cooking it in a closed pan for a long time in a medium temp oven. The question is whether you are satisfied with the results you get.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.
ludwig
VIP Member

Return to Steering and Suspension