300 rebuild

The Big Block of inline Ford sixes

Moderator: Mod Squad

300 rebuild

Postby 77 F100 Flatbed » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi, I'm 16 and I'm planing on doing a rebuild on a 300. I pulling it out of a '76 parts truck and it is going into a '77 which currently is a 3 on the tree. This would be my first rebuild and I need some advice on what exactly I need to make a good preforming engine on a budget. It's a daily driver so I don't want any thing too crazy.
Thanks for any advice.
77 F100 Flatbed

Re: 300 rebuild

Postby crash-harris » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:14 pm

Make sure that the cylinder walls are in good shape if you want to avoid boring it over a little, but you may have to depending on the condition of the engine. Replace ALL gaskets and any questionable parts, valves and springs, probably pistons, rings and things that will be easier to get to with the engine out (water pump, any acc. that are looking/seeming bad, maybe pushrods) Clean things up and put it back together (if I missed something one of the gurus will jump in I'm sure).

I'm 19 and started planning my engine build last year (though more performance oriented) when I was 18 and pulled off a 4x4 conversion around that same time on Bruiser. Hopefully I get to my build this winter after the solid axle swap.
Bruiser - 1990 Ford F150...barely...EFI 300 Big Six, 500K+!, converted to 4x4. 4.10 gears and Sterling FF rear w/ Trac-Lok, 37" meats. Undergoing 1 Ton leaf spring SAS. 6BT in the plans.
crash-harris

Postby mutt » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:07 pm

Hit the used book stores & gat a Chiltons & Clymers manual that covers the 300 6. You MUST have books!
The biggest $ item for power upgrades is a manifold that will take a 2 or 4 bbl. Most everything else for a decent boost in power AND MPG's is cheap or elbow grease.
Read the FAQ's & youll see the biggest limit on power is the head, pretty much. You can make yours flow better- I sure did mine.
Find a good auto machine shop, one folks trust, thats been around for a while. Show up with a box of donuts, and ask the shopguys about things- after you yank the engine apart so you know what you have. I had at least 150K on mine. The ridge around the cylinders was barely perceptable. New std. pistons and Hastings cast iron rngs, & it uses virtually no oil.
Bring your parts to the shop cleaned up some. If you bring in the head, bring it in disassembeled, & reassemble yourself. Youll save $, and learn stuff.
Ask the machine shop to put together the gasket & parts for you, they are usually cheaper than te parts store, by quite a bit, plus know what works.
IIRC, I got rod bngs, a oil pump, new ex valves, all new springs, and a set of what in the catalogue was called heavy duty pistons for around $200.
The junkyard will provide FI exhaust manifolds & Chev rockers, and the 2bbl.
But none of the carb or rocker upgrades mean much unless the head is openind up some. You need a compressor that runs a goodly VOLUME of air to run a die grinder.....
mutt
VIP Member

Postby Lazy JW » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:47 pm

77 F100 Flatbed wrote:.... a good preforming engine on a budget. It's a daily driver so I don't want any thing too crazy......

Of course we all want top performance without spending much money.... :D

Meanwhile, back at the ranch and since this is your first rebuild, let's concentrate on the "don't want anything too crazy" theme. If you stay focused on not getting too crazy you will probably have a very successful project.

In what sort of climate do you plan to operate this vehicle? This is helpful for several reasons.

First of all, build a solid short block; this is the foundation that you can add to later. You will need to tear down and inspect the internals before deciding exactly what needs done.

I strongly suggest staying with a stock cam; go ahead and plan for some Chebbie rockers, your stock rockers really should be replaced anyway so it's no extra expense to do the upgrade.

I also suggest staying with a stock intake manifold and carburetor for now. These can be upgraded later quite easily when your budget allows. Put the money into the short block and head now, you can play with the external stuff later.

Anyway, get a plan for Step #1 which is teardown and inspection. Then we can help from that point.
Have fun,
Joe
74 F-350 300-6, EFI manifolds into single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18B, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. Great farm truck!
Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Postby mutt » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:12 pm

what Joe says.......
mutt
VIP Member

Postby crash-harris » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:56 pm

:lol: +1
Bruiser - 1990 Ford F150...barely...EFI 300 Big Six, 500K+!, converted to 4x4. 4.10 gears and Sterling FF rear w/ Trac-Lok, 37" meats. Undergoing 1 Ton leaf spring SAS. 6BT in the plans.
crash-harris

Postby powerjunkie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:23 am

remember 20 dollar water pump will save you the expense of the whole engine if it fails. so, word of the wise. if its old, or looks faulty, replace it.
"Fix it Till its Broke, Repeat"

1980 F-150 Ranger 300ci M5OD-R2, 3.50 gears

1980 F-150 4X4 300ci (unknown aftermarket cam) mild port job, NP435 trans. 3.50 gears
powerjunkie

Postby 77 F100 Flatbed » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:52 pm

[quote="Lazy JW"]

In what sort of climate do you plan to operate this vehicle?

Have fun,
Joe[/quote]

I will be a daily driver that witg some mild off-roading and weekend toy hauling up to the river.
77 F100 Flatbed

Postby Panama Ron » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:54 am

If you really want to stay on a budget,a tight budget,you can shop around for the various parts,if you"ve got the patience,and come up with some great prices on ford 6 parts,I"ve seen some awesome deals on loose parts,I feel its possible to build this motor back for 600-700 easy,possibly cheaper,if you scrounge really hard,get on the web,try Rock auto parts,there really good on prices,I got a treasure trove of parts from them for 120$,I could tell you,but your not going to believe me anyway,some of the stuff I got was last item close outs,at the discounted prices,but theres more,so just look around,its possible.and have fun!!
First 300-6 Ford Ive ever owned,But lots of others.
Panama Ron

Postby 77 F100 Flatbed » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:07 pm

[quote="Panama Ron"]If you really want to stay on a budget,a tight budget,you can shop around for the various parts,if you"ve got the patience,and come up with some great prices on ford 6 parts,I"ve seen some awesome deals on loose parts,I feel its possible to build this motor back for 600-700 easy,possibly cheaper,if you scrounge really hard,get on the web,try Rock auto parts,there really good on prices,I got a treasure trove of parts from them for 120$,I could tell you,but your not going to believe me anyway,some of the stuff I got was last item close outs,at the discounted prices,but theres more,so just look around,its possible.and have fun!![/quote]

Yeah that is exactly what i'm talking about. do you remember any names or places you thought were better than others?
77 F100 Flatbed

Return to 240-300 "Big Block" Six Performance