It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:44 am

Throttle body spacer and Tornado for 4.9 
Post Throttle body spacer and Tornado for 4.9
I have an 89 Econo 150 4.9 with FI and an auto od. I was thinking of putting a throttle body spacer on it to get better mpg but I can't find any for the E150 6 but they have them for the F150 6 is there any difference between these engines. Also the "Tornado" is said to increase mpg and add torque anyone tried these? Thanks.........

Sat May 03, 2008 3:02 am

Cost of it? Promised gains?

Where are the gains... Top end? bottom end (low rpm)?

Sat May 03, 2008 3:38 am

Post Re: Throttle body spacer and Tornado for 4.9
longhaul wrote:
I have an 89 Econo 150 4.9 with FI and an auto od. I was thinking of putting a throttle body spacer on it to get better mpg but I can't find any for the E150 6 but they have them for the F150 6 is there any difference between these engines. Also the "Tornado" is said to increase mpg and add torque anyone tried these? Thanks.........

The Tornado? Junk. They don't do a damned thing.

I doubt a throttle body spacer will make any measurable difference, either.

If you want to get better fuel economy, follow the normal tips given for that by responsible sources that aren't trying to sell you snake-oil and gimmicks. Here are a few links:

How to Improve Your Fuel Economy: 23 Top Tips for Better Gas Mileage

How to Improve Your Fuel Economy

Tips To Live By For Better Fuel Economy

Sat May 03, 2008 10:07 am
OK thanks for the info can't beat a little common since. I'll buy good beer save my hard earned bucks.

Sat May 03, 2008 12:43 pm
... I'll buy good beer save my hard earned bucks.

Hard to argue with that logic.

Sat May 03, 2008 12:56 pm

The Tornado claims up to 25% fuel mileage improvement. Right. Wanna buy a bridge? Cheap? It's a historical landmark connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. Sell it to you very cheap. :wink:

Sat May 03, 2008 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
FSP Moderator

No, No, No, you do not want the Tornado, you want the Hurricane.

Bigger and has a much larger volume of Hot Air.

Seriously if this technology was good why doesn't any of the OEM uses it.

Sat May 03, 2008 7:47 pm

They keep meaning to, but they realize they forgot to do it again after the vehicle is already designed. Pretty fortunate for the aftermarket guys. :roll:

Sixes owned:
1957 Chevrolet 150 Sedan 235ci I6
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo 183ci I6 (3.0L)
1981 Ford Bronco 300ci I6
1984 Ford Bronco 300ci I6

Never owned a V!

Mon May 05, 2008 10:03 am
FSP Moderator

Right and I'm in line to be the next pope.

Look for the white smoke.

Coming from a Tornado.
:roll:

Mon May 05, 2008 11:02 am
Come on now, TECHNICALLY the throttle ody spacer is sound science.

It lengthens the intake plenum

Mon May 05, 2008 5:21 pm
VIP Member

Post Re: Throttle body spacer and Tornado for 4.9
longhaul wrote:
Also the "Tornado" is said to increase mpg and add torque anyone tried these? Thanks.........

Pure crapola!

1963 1/2 Falcon 170/C4/8" (alt, a/c, Petronix/42v coil/8mm wires, 16" electric fan, electric fuel pump, Holley 1940, K&N Harley air filter, power dual m/c, 11" disc, 3" drop, Shelby drop, white tuck/roll, Moon steering wheel, '59 Caddy tail lights, fishtail exhaust tip, shaved trim, handles, cowl, fuel, dash, 4" radius trunk/door corners, power windows, 600w iPod system)

Mon May 05, 2008 6:51 pm
VIP Member

The throttle body spacer may be sound science IF it actually improves performance/economy on a specific, individual application...much like a carb spacer.

'83 F150 300, 0.030 over, Offy DP, Holley 4160/1848-1 465 cfm, Comp Cam 260H. P/P head, EFI exhaust manifolds, Walker Y Pipe, Super Cat, Turbo muffler, Recurved DSII, Mallory HyFire 6a, ACCEL Super Stock Coil, Taylor 8mm Wires, EFI plugs.

Mon May 05, 2008 7:46 pm
FSP Moderator

What % plenum volume or ram length increase is achieved?
Is it enough to make a difference on flow dynamics alone ?
Under a carb one of the major benefit is not th plenum volume increase per se but the moving of the carb up from the floor of the plenum creating more room for the a/f mixture to make the almost 90 degree turn from carb to manifold runner. Better flow and less mixture separation. Behind modern EFI TBs the flow is without the 90 degree turn and the airflow is dry.

Tue May 06, 2008 2:45 am
I never said they worked, I said the science was at least sound.

The Tornado is total and utter crap.

Tue May 06, 2008 8:59 am
VIP Member

So was the original science used by Ford to optimize the runner length UNsound?

Tue May 06, 2008 12:23 pm
VIP Member

The definitive results of difference in plenum volume, runner length, etc., might only be achieved with extensive dyno testing...but I suspect the cost v results would not be productive of any real benefit.

'83 F150 300, 0.030 over, Offy DP, Holley 4160/1848-1 465 cfm, Comp Cam 260H. P/P head, EFI exhaust manifolds, Walker Y Pipe, Super Cat, Turbo muffler, Recurved DSII, Mallory HyFire 6a, ACCEL Super Stock Coil, Taylor 8mm Wires, EFI plugs.

Tue May 06, 2008 1:52 pm
Hooptie wrote:

So was the original science used by Ford to optimize the runner length UNsound?

aaaaaahh, no? But any increase in low end torque is still an increase. Will it have adverse effects on higher rpm power? Likely. But this motor has no business at high rpms.

Saying the OEMs did everything they could in the name of efficiency is a little nuts, the factory safe tune it set on the rich side for starters.

Tue May 06, 2008 11:34 pm
VIP Member

I don't think adding a short section of TB spacer to the secondary tuning length will make a noticeable improvement in torque at low RPM.

The primary runner length is - what? - maybe 25" from valve - to - plenum. And the secondary tuning length is maybe another 25" from air box inlet to TB. I don't know the Tornado length - 1 1/2" or so at max? In the grand scheme of things adding 1.5" to that system upstream of the plenum will not move the lower end up me thinks.

Maybe a young automotive engineer reading this can crunch the numbers for us in MANDY or similar program.

Wed May 07, 2008 9:53 pm

You know what i find interesting, once we start talking about runner length?

I believe its the GM L31 motor, went into the late 90's trucks, 5.7L.

It had a really goofy lower intake manifold with a plastic upper. The runners were pretty much just the length of the head ports, maybe lengthened a few inches by the lower manifold. Then it had these shapes in the plastic and lower intake manifold. They looked like where the air would be flowing, a sort of pseudo runner.

That had nothing to do with the tornado. I think the tornado is stupid. Intake spacers make sense in certain applications, i don't think a TB spacer would do much considering the set up on the 300.

New truck- 71 F-100 302/AOD. Missing my 300 dearly. 302 belongs in a mustang, lifters tick, headers sound annoying, vibrates, is ugly, etc.

Wed May 07, 2008 10:00 pm

Tornadoes and similar devices introduce an obstruction into the intake passage that DOES NOT increase the velocity and decreases the volume available. You do not want an obstruction in your intake. We go to the trouble to portmatch and "gasket-match" to get SMALL inconsistencies OUT of intake systems--no way adding a huge obstacle will increase intake volume or velocity. WHEn we were building Dodge Neons to race we would put Auto tranny TB's on in place of Manual TB's because they were a couple mm larger to gain fractions of HP.

NO TORNADOES ALLOWED !

Thu May 08, 2008 10:15 am