It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:31 pm

Clutch and Flywheel 

Post Clutch and Flywheel
Hi guys,

According to an article about a 300 Ford Maverick Drag Car, I read some recommendations about its clutch & flywheel set up, as follows :

" These parts are most important because of 6-cylinder vibration problems. Use a SCHIEFER forged aluminum flywheel part #3040078; 11 inch, 2800-lb pressure plate, part#6011450; and disc, part #5040128. You also need a 289/302 flywheel reinforcing plate C20Z-6A366-A to attach the flywheel to the crank, with 7/16" X 20 X 1-1/4" bolts. Secure with locktite. Enclose the entire clutch assembly in a 289 (6 bolt) LAKEWOOD scatter-shield assembly."

As I'm started on build up my 300 Ford Drag Car, I was looking for the aforementioned set up, but unfortunately I didn't find these stuff part #'s, therefore I hope you can help me out on this matter. Where can I find the parts above, or a similar set up for my application ? Any input would be very appreciated !

Thank you,

Inline Six :( :?: :idea:
Brasil - S. America

Tue May 08, 2007 5:01 pm

An aluminum flywheel from a small block Ford V8 will bolt to the 300 six crankshaft. You will need to have the balance weights removed from the v8 flywheel as the six is internally balanced. In other words...zero balance the flywheel. Any compotent machine shop should be able to help you.

Obtaining a used aluminum v8 flywheel at a swap meet and rebalancing should save you some bucks as well.

Worken2much

Sat May 12, 2007 11:51 am

Post Clutch and Flywheel
worken2much,

Thanks for your reply! However I've browsed the summitracing.com web page searching for an aluminum flywheel for SBF external balance engines as per your recommendation, but I've found out the same one for SBF internal balance engines, then just let me know if both of these ones can be bolted onto a 240-300 inline six Ford crank ? Do they both have the same crank bolt pattern (6) ? As for a clutch assembly, can you give me some directions on this matter ? Let me know your thoughts !

Thank you very much,

Inline Six :oops: :? :)
Brasil - S. America

Sat May 12, 2007 9:29 pm
FSP Moderator

Post Re: Clutch and Flywheel
Inline Six wrote:

" These parts are most important because of 6-cylinder vibration problems..."...

Huh? :? Vibration problems?

A SBF flywheel will bolt onto a 300 crank; the balancing will NOT be correct though.
Joe

Sun May 13, 2007 12:37 am