All Six Help decide between rebuilding my 226 flattie or swapping a more modern six?

This applies to all sixes
Hi fellas,

Once again, I’m calling on the vast knowledge you guys on here have.
Your advice helped me drive my F1 across the country when I bought it last year, and many times since then, too.
The 226 flattie in my daily driver ‘51 Ford F1 is making some noises like it needs rebuilt, I think it may have never been!
It has always shaken and been noisy, but I suspect at least one cylinder isn’t providing much power, and I have no idea how sweet can a 226 run when it’s running correctly.
My wife’s Falcon has a 200 six and three speed from a 60’s Mustang, and that engine and tranny is so smooooooth, I envy it every time I drive it.
If anyone has experience with both these engines when they are running as they should, which one would you pick for an F1 pickup?
I want to keep a three speed stick or even a four speed in my truck.
I would like my truck to ride a LOT quieter, like my wife’s Falcon.
I believe the 60’s Mustang three speed has helical-cut gears that makes it a lot quieter than my ‘51’s straight-cut gears, right?
Is the Mustang three speed short enough to work without altering my cross member?
I’ve even considered the legendary unkillable 300/4.9 Ford six.
Would the manual tranny that the 300 came with work, or would the 300 mate to the Mustang three speed, or even my ‘51 three speed?

Thanks for sharing the knowledge!
Scott

Did you do a compression test on your 226 Flathead yet? I do like all those Ford six engines as well as others like the 215, 223. 262 Ford Six family too, these were the first of Ford's OHV engines. A 223 would be very close to a bolt in swap with the right pickup engine parts that are still fairly easy to find yet.

I wouldn't really recommend the 200 six though its a great engine for the Falcon's and Mustangs it just wouldn't be as good for use in your 1951 F1 truck. Not quite enough torque for the extra weight of a pickup, plus you would need to make a lot of custom parts to install it.

The Flathead Six when in Good Condition should be very smooth running, have decent power, and with work could be quiet to. You could swap in a newer transmission from the later 200 six or 300's fairly easy (like the mid 1960's 3.03 3 speed with all synchro's if you have a stock column shifter it could work with it and there are several others) this would work for both the 223 OHV or the 226 Flathead to make driving your pickup more pleasurable. If you really want to go to the effort and work to change the 1951 F1 to a later model engine such as the 200 six then in my OPIN you would be better off going all the way to one of the 240 / 300 big six's but this isn't really a bolt in job unless you can find some harder to find parts such the front center motor mount and the matching bell housing (that has Ears on it for the rear side mounts) like was used in the 1965 F350 trucks with a 240 or 300 Six.

There are lots of ways to make your pick up quieter such as installing sound insulation mats, under coating and the right exhaust system to name a few. Best of luck on your 1951 F1.

Thanks, Bubba!
I appreciate the advice.
I found a cheap and solid 226 replacement nearby from guy who rebuilds flathead eights for a living, and I’m going to give that a try.
I think that’ll answer a lot of my questions without much of an investment.

Scott

Hi again everyone.

After a weeklong driveway and garage thrash each day after work, I got the replacement 226 painted, gaskets replaced, clutch transferred over, etc., etc., etc., and in to the truck.

The moment I started it, it was a revelation!

So much smoother, quieter, with a better exhaust sound, and better power.

And, so far, no leaks!

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Bubba, you were damn sure right.

The replacement 226 is indeed smooth, more powerful, and quieter, too

After giving it a big handful of ignition advance and driving my new 226 for a tank of gas, it murders my wife’s 200 Mustang engine.

I couldn’t be happier!

Thanks again,
Scott

Attachments

• 764C4636-7BC2-429C-8C19-AA55204CD010.jpeg
    764C4636-7BC2-429C-8C19-AA55204CD010.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 87A07F74-8FB7-4B76-AB4F-2D3CAC4A24ED.jpeg
    87A07F74-8FB7-4B76-AB4F-2D3CAC4A24ED.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
Back