Wastegate Location

curts56

Subscriber
Supporter 2018
Gold Supporter
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2022
Supporter 2023
Is there a preferred location/distance for a wastegate? I planned on installing a wastegate right next to the turbo on the 1-1/2" pipe that taps off the 3". But it might be less cramped if I extend the 1-1/2" and move the wastegate farther away from the turbo where it will tap into the turbo exhaust.

IMG_5585.JPG

A 35mm Turbonetics 10780 Evolution Wastegate.

I've been finishing up some final details before sending the engine to the machine shop. I believe I'm ready. Now I just have to find a good shop!
IMG_5667.JPG

It does look tight but I really can't tell until I have the engine installed. I did purchase a mini starter, so that should help. Originally (long ago) I was running an Ak Miller turbo setup and ran the exhaust over the top of the starter. I can do that again if needed.

Ford 300.png

Theoretically, close to the turbine, on the outside of a turn, is most effective at boost regulation. Oh, look, you already did that. :p If routing back into primary exhaust, I run a larger outlet (the wastegate should already set the diameter) through a flex section, and into the inside of a turn for best flow, it it can fit there. Your wastegate tube plates should set reasonable tube diameter, but I always check the valve flow area (circumference x lift) against the tube I.D. area (ID x ID x .7854) for obvious restriction of either.

I'd get that center clocked closer to vertical before going much further. Smaller valves tend to be more stable for regulation (depending on control method), so I prefer to first port a small creepy valve before going bigger.

Back