215 starter delema

shocker998md

Hey guys,
Anyone in here save with 215/223 stuff? I'm going to cross post on the ford6 forum, but I'm troubleshooting a slow crank on my 52 customline. First cold start or after being heatsoaked it cranks extremely slow and barely starts. So I took the starter out and it's been messed with recently before I bought the car. It looks like I have a starter drive for a fordamatic trans once I looked over my motors manual.

I ordered a new starter from db electric and the shaft has a keyway and two dimples for bolts. So after digging in the book I think I have it figured out that I need to order a drive like this one linked below. Can anyone confirm this type of drive is what a 215 with a manual trans needs? Or if there are more quality parts please link them, I'm pretty confused on what I have/need. And yes my cables are good zero guage, clean, tight ect.

https://thirdgenauto.com/product/new-1928-53-ford-starter-drive-and-bendix/

Yes that would be the correct Starter Drive Unit for a 1952. How many ground cables do you have and were are they all connected?

Positive ground and I have a Ground to block, ground to body, ground to frame. Bellhousing is bare metal where the starter touches against it.

I'm confident in my grounds and cables.

The more I'm looking the more I confuse myself.

What is the difference between that spring with two bolt style and the ones with the round cover?

The old starter shaft didn't have a keyway, just a hole for a drive pin. But I really think the starter I pulled out was wrong based on my motors book.

Yes that would be the correct Starter Drive Unit for a 1952. How many ground cables do you have and were are they all connected?
Bubba,
How many teeth should be on the bendix for a 215? I removed a 9 tooth from the car, the one in the link came in and it's a 10 tooth. I've counted both of them a dozen times now.

Back